Mack's Brief 2015 QB Class Breakdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Just started my "scouting", started with Cook, one of my favourite players from the back end of last season, when I was just enjoying him as a college player rather than a prospect, love his arm great talent. Pretty much agree with the rest of your assessment, although he did look off a safety, rifled it in there for an excellent TD (although that's just one play). I question his decision making, a couple of times he threw it right at the DB, not great when the pocket breaks down. But if he can figure out the mental side of the game then I'd take him as our QBotf in a heart beat.

I talked about Cook in another thread. Like this kid a lot and am looking forward to see what progress he has made this year

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
It's Winston for me right now. But he's far from flawless. But I've got a ways to go on scouting all these guys still. I also like Connor Cook from Michigan State. Needs to show improvement in his lower body mechanics, composure under pressure, and overall pocket presence/movement but I see a lot of things to like in him as a passer.

But I'm a HUGE pocket presence guy so if he doesn't improve, it'll make it hard for me to endorse him strongly. That's why I like Winston the most. He's just so good at winning in the pocket. Very calm and composed, moves well, doesn't go down easily, and feels pressure well but still maintains eye discipline.

Winston to me is clearly the best QB, has all the tools to play at the next level. Not sure about his off field issues as I don't know the kid, but he is young and hopefully grows out of them.

If his head is on straight he could be a great one.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Keep an eye out for Taylor Kelly from Arizona State. Not getting the pub in the crowded PAC 12.

There are some flaws and things he needs to work on like his arm strength but has proved year over year. Looking to see if there is continued improvement this year.

He is a good decision maker, pocket passer who can use his legs when the pocket breaks down, kind of Russell Wilson ish.

His game reminds me a lot of Wilson except maybe takes a few more chances. Nice quick delivery and release and make quick decisions.

He is a guy worth watching and has put up some nice numbers and won some big games.
I like Kelly as well, def will be keeping an eye on him. Would fit well in the NFC West.

StLouieRam

UDFA
I also like Taylor Kelly from what I've read and seen. He also got a private QB coach over the summer. He sounds every bit the professional he'll also be 24 by the time the draft hits. I like Kelly a lot. I just wanna find the next Aaron Rodgers.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mariota reminds me of Colin Kaepernick's smart younger brother. This kid has a cannon arm, awesome speed, and a big brain. We will never get him because he will go #1 overall (if healthy), unless Winston comes out (and doesn't go to jail). Winston has an amazing arm and great size.

I like Hundley - he comes from my hometown here in AZ. He is a good talent but throws some REALLY bad interceptions. I question his decision making, but he could mature.
I'm guessing you are a Pacific Conference guy from your avatar. As much as I am a Duck fan, I just don't like Mariota as an NFL QB. He got exposed near the end of the season last year as people started figuring out the Ducks offense. If he can be contained - like he will be in the NFL, he will throw up some mind boggling "Ducks". Maybe he learned something. But I just don't view him as enough of a passer to really be the QB many expect him to be.

I know many on here question Mannion's throwing motion but frankly, I think he adjusts that motion quite well to pressure and the lack thereof. IMO, he has VERY good touch and knows when to lay a pass into the hands of his receiver. I have to wonder if that is something people look at when judging his mechanics. From what I have seen, he seems to have a pretty natural motion and shortens it up when the situation demands it. He seems to move well within the pocket and has the ability to poke that little pass out there that really frustrates a defense. I think the biggest problem with him seems that he doesn't have the arm strength to just flick the ball downfield.

All this being said (yes - here's my qualifier) I don't get into as much of the hard core evaluations that a lot of you guys do.

jjab360

Legend
Hundley just has no time to throw today, UCLA needs to get him some better protection somehow. Hard to evaluate him under these circumstances. Can't wait to watch Winston later on tonight.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hundley throwing motion to me has improved, but he still doesn't scan the field and look for targets...Like a ole QB says often, he doesn't appear to "process information" quick enough. Great athlete...Not sure I'd want him in horns.
Hogan from Stanford is the best pure pocket passer in the Pac-12...And I'm a UCLA/SC guy....I think the Trojans have a stud QB, Browne, but he won't play much being a freshman....I'd rate Mannion as the 3rd best, and future solid pro...His arm talent isn't spectacular, but since he's 6'6 it should improve..Again, a pocket QB...Always rated higher than spread/pistol QB's in my book. Therefore, I wouldn't touch Marriota either.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hundley just has no time to throw today, UCLA needs to get him some better protection somehow. Hard to evaluate him under these circumstances. Can't wait to watch Winston later on tonight.
best time to eval I'd say.....what do you do under pressure? how can you get your team moving? He's overrated at this point in his career.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, his OL is playing about as bad as an OL can play... when 4 guys hit the RB on a draw... it's a BAD day for that OL. Hard to eval any QB when the OL is playing that bad.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, his OL is playing about as bad as an OL can play... when 4 guys hit the RB on a draw... it's a BAD day for that OL. Hard to eval any QB when the OL is playing that bad.
agree to disagree, excellent post however. Glad I found it...Looking at the cut list was depressing. I can't wait to look at Cook from MSU....He didn't impress me as much as Hogan did. Perhaps I've seen Stanford so many times I just believe....That was Hundley's best drive of the day, was it fatigue, or coaching, or the light went on, he finally looked over the defense...He needs to continue to search for targets while scrambling. I mean, this is Virgina...And even if my boy Joe McAtee says they can play, I don't see it....Better hope they don't run into a buzzsaw at Texas in a few weeks

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I dunno. You don't think he's missing Su'a Filo? That OL last year was significantly better than this one.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Just now read this after watching UCLA and Virginia most of the afternoon. Like what I've seen from Hundley. He's made some good throws today.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Hundley is going to have to REALLY grow as a QB with the toughest schedule in the nation. The good news for the Rams is that he won't likely have the numbers, but he'll be as battle tested as any QB AND that OL will put him under pressure like no QB in the nation...

jjab360

Legend
Just now read this after watching UCLA and Virginia most of the afternoon. Like what I've seen from Hundley. He's made some good throws today.
Only leading his team to 1 TD drive against Virginia of all teams is pretty dissapointing. Did a good job not making stupid throws, though, generally made good decisions and didn't turn the ball over outside of fumbling on 4th down when it would've been a turnover anyway. Hopefully, this winds up being one of his worst games of the year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
After that throw...I am a believer....but he'll struggle...I wish he'd start taking snaps under center...can he learn to read defenses?

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
any thoughts on conner halliday from washington state ?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I realized today how spoiled I was being able to watch Bortles tear it up for UCF. I watched Pete DiNovo throw for 18 yards in the full first half against Penn State and it was sickening. However, after halftime, I saw a new QB emerge.

Justin Holman is a Sophomore 6'4" 213 pound QB who backed up Bortles last year and learned from him. They have a very similar playing style. Coming in the game after halftime down a touchdown, there was an immediate difference. I saw a big, mobile QB with excellent vision and elusiveness in the pocket. He threw a great long ball, escaped the clutches of D linemen, and had serious heat on his throws. In all, he went 9 of 14 for 204 yards and 3 TDs, including a late game, clutch drive with 2 minutes left that put UCF up 1 that was reminiscent of Bortles. This is only one game but a big, mobile QB with a rocket arm and a pass first mindset excites me. I'm not saying this is the Rams guy but I'm saying its a possibility that he emerges from what I was today. I will keep my eyes on this guy. (Yes, I admit some bias but I also have high QB standards after last year)

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Hundley throwing motion to me has improved, but he still doesn't scan the field and look for targets...Like a ole QB says often, he doesn't appear to "process information" quick enough. Great athlete...Not sure I'd want him in horns.
Hogan from Stanford is the best pure pocket passer in the Pac-12...And I'm a UCLA/SC guy....I think the Trojans have a stud QB, Browne, but he won't play much being a freshman....I'd rate Mannion as the 3rd best, and future solid pro...His arm talent isn't spectacular, but since he's 6'6 it should improve..Again, a pocket QB...Always rated higher than spread/pistol QB's in my book. Therefore, I wouldn't touch Marriota either.

A UCLA/SC guy...you're kidding

I think a lot of people here are going to be surprised about Brett Hundley, he'll be a good one. (then again, I said the same thing about Cade McNoun so...)

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Winston to me is clearly the best QB, has all the tools to play at the next level. Not sure about his off field issues as I don't know the kid, but he is young and hopefully grows out of them.

If his head is on straight he could be a great one.

With his character issues he sounds like a candidate for Fisher. :D

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I really wonder how the "Ray Rice" rule will affect Jameis Winston.