London Fletcher: Jim Haslett is Clueless

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://deadspin.com/london-fletcher...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

This morning, former Washington linebacker and current CBS analyst London Fletcher openly wondered why defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's still employed. Fletcher played under Haslett for four seasons, and claimed that when he played, Haslett managed the defense so poorly, the linebacker would change the plays called on the field.

At one point, Fletcher bluntly said Haslett has no clue what he's doing. A transcribed excerpt of the segment, via Dan Steinberg:

Why does Jim Haslett still have his job as a defensive coordinator after five years now of just ineptitude at the defensive coordinator position? He's clueless as a defensive coordinator. He lacks attention to detail. He lacks feel on how to call a game. Some of the calls he used to call when I was playing were head-scratching. They were so bad, I used to change them, like, 'We're not running that.' And we'd get off the field and he would ask, 'Why did you change the call.' (I would say), 'Because that's just a dumb call. That's why I changed it.'

"For years he has always made excuses. One minute it was 'We're changing from the 3-4 and we don't have the right personnel.' Next minute it is salary cap. Next minute it is Mike Shanahan. Next minute it is injuries. Mike Shanahan recognized early that this guy does not know what he is doing. And he tried to help him out….And what does Jim Haslett do? He threw [Shanahan] under the bus just like he throws everybody under the bus, players and coaches included.

Ahh, throwing someone under the bus. A team tradition.

Fletcher kept going on Twitter, too:

@dmshunt I guess I could've done it anonymous like everyone else or behind his back like him.

— NFL_IRONMAN (@LFletcher59) December 7, 2014

Fletcher's claims should just be added onto the pile of evidence that the Skins organization, in its entirety, is so bad at being good at football.

Update (1:47 p.m.):

@10JICH @Russellmania980 you're father has ruined plenty of people's career.

— NFL_IRONMAN (@LFletcher59) December 7, 2014

[CBS Sports Network]​

WestCoastRam

Legend
So interesting too that Fletcher is coming forward with this as his reputation as a class act is pretty well known, no?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Well seeing the difference between Haslett as our D Coordinator and Greg Williams, I would have to agree

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seeing Haslett here, I think we all know Fletcher's right.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Fletcher is right. Haslett IS clueless. I'm glad somebody had the balls to say it, why he still has a job I don't know.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Crazy, we lucked out. I remember a lot of fans, myself included, wanted haslett to stay as our coach.

I have to side with Fletcher, guy doesn't do this ever so when he says something like this there's 99% chance it's true.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I remember plays where the players were totally confused about where they should be as the ball was being snapped. That is bad oaching.

But one of my fondest memories from that Ram era was when Haslett was so pissed at Richie that he slapped the candy bar out of Incognitos hand. I laughed so hard.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Hassletts reputation as a backstabber precedes his Washington days. I remember hating that guy the way I hate Pete Carroll when he was with NO. Now its just kinda pathetic.

howski3318

Rookie
Crazy, we lucked out. I remember a lot of fans, myself included, wanted haslett to stay as our coach.

I have to side with Fletcher, guy doesn't do this ever so when he says something like this there's 99% chance it's true.

Not sure if I would say we lucked out considering the coach we ended up hiring.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not sure if I would say we lucked out considering the coach we ended up hiring.
Definitely would rather have Spags and Devaney than Haslett. At least they set up some of the bridgework of what we see today, and drafted some of our stalwarts on this young team.

It's like Linehan pissing off Bruce, these guys managed to piss off two of the most universally regarded as chill players in the league. That's pissing off Ike or Fletcher is pretty much a death sentence.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've heard this about Haslett a lot, actually. And what's funny is, I used to play a video game (sorry, can't remember which one right now) where you'd be in control of the Head Coach and could hold meetings and whatnot. I had Haslett as my coordinator (probably by default) and he was SUCH a dick. Any time he interacted with me (as the coach) he was always short and dismissive - like he didn't want to be working for me. lol. So .. I fired him.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I've heard this about Haslett a lot, actually. And what's funny is, I used to play a video game (sorry, can't remember which one right now) where you'd be in control of the Head Coach and could hold meetings and whatnot. I had Haslett as my coordinator (probably by default) and he was SUCH a dick. Any time he interacted with me (as the coach) he was always short and dismissive - like he didn't want to be working for me. lol. So .. I fired him.
Same. I played Madden head coach and I'd always take over the Rams and he was our DC at the time, and no matter what I did, no matter what I said to him he would always be the hugest asshole. He'd also make shit suggestions to improve our D and when I told him no he'd always lose trust in me, which coupled with the fact that his would just drain for seemingly no reason at all it made having Haslett on your team a death sentence for defense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Same. I played Madden head coach and I'd always take over the Rams and he was our DC at the time, and no matter what I did, no matter what I said to him he would always be the hugest arsehole. He'd also make crap suggestions to improve our D and when I told him no he'd always lose trust in me, which coupled with the fact that his would just drain for seemingly no reason at all it made having Haslett on your team a death sentence for defense.
YES! NFL Head Coach. That was the game.

Thanks dude.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hassletts reputation as a backstabber precedes his Washington days. I remember hating that guy the way I hate Pete Carroll when he was with NO. Now its just kinda pathetic.

I was younger then, but when he was HC of the Saints I always had that vibe that I couldn't stand the guy.

Then he came here and felt the same. Jim Haslett always had inconsistent defenses. For some reason he always wanted to fix things that weren't broken. Like he did in Washington, a potential top 5 4-3 defense into a 3-4 defense..that surprise is inconsistent again.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jim Haslett keeps getting employed because of his one year in Pittsburgh as a DC and the fact that he was such an intense player. He will be done and I would not be shocked if some college Head Coach hires him for his defense and they will promote the hell out of it only for that Head Coach to lose his job later down the line.

And don't get me going on London Fletcher because big fat Jay Zygmunt allowed him to shuffle off to Buffalo when the Rams had the cap room to retain him!