Lets talk LBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
So now that we know whom we have going into camp, barring some unforeseen addition. It looks to be a solid group that will get the job done without much fan or media fare this season. Unless someone blows up and takes the job and runs wild with it.
So for me this is what I think I think (sorry had to go Peter King there LOL)!

Edge:
The starters to me will end up being Ebukam & Okoronkwo w/ next man up being a good role guy in Longacre and Thompson. I don't think it will take Okoronkwo long to over take Longacre due to his speed he offers and Longacre doesn't. But with his back injury I wonder if he will be able to contribute at a high level. Camp will give us that answer. Thompson I could see being replace by another teams surprise cut. He's just a JAG. I think with Ebukam & Okoronkwo we have two guys that can simply fly off the corners. Sickles & Price Can be replace at any point during camp or season imho.

Inside:
The starters will be Baron and Littleton. The next guy whom will get tons of snaps I think will be Kiser. Kiser I could see replacing Baron in short yardage, and a future starter in 2019. Littleton needs to show me he can be consistent every down, and I think he will over the season. It just may take a little time. Hager and Wilson are two players that can give us a few snaps without killing us but won't be starters.

In general Snead gave us a group of 3 at both spots that can play and this will help us down the stretch and into the playoffs. Its a lunch pail group on paper and I'm looking forward to seeing this group do a better job stoping the run and developing into a good group as a whole.

dang

Legend
I am not sure what coaches will try with the rookies. For instance I have heard speculation Franklin-Meyers could be asked to lose a little weight for a look at Edge. I trust the coaches but feel we need to find an experienced Edge player to compliment Ebukam/Okoronkwo growing into effective starters.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've read somewhere that Franklin-Myers played at close to 300 lbs last year and dropped weight to get to 283.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Brockers will be 29 when his contract is due for renewal.
That could certainly play into his contract negotiations.
Some players are retiring at that age nowadays more often plus he might start declining somewhat.
Of course next year we're going to have a first-rounder and 3 - 3rd rounders to play with to replace some of these guys that are going to be due up for contracts by then.
Rookies might be the cheaper way to go for starters as hopefully we will be paying Donald, Peters, Cooks and Goff by then.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brockers will be 29 when his contract is due for renewal.
That could certainly play into his contract negotiations.
Some players are retiring at that age nowadays more often plus he might start declining somewhat.
Of course next year we're going to have a first-rounder a second-rounder and 3 - 3rd rounders to play with to replace some of these guys that are going to be due up for contracts by then.
Rookies might be the cheaper way to go for starters as hopefully we will be paying Donald, Peters, Cooks and Goff by then.
Franklin-Meyers is listed at 283 lbs

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-franklin-myers?id=32462018-0002-5601-3962-fcfe2ee52f31

I think asking him to drop 20 before camp might be too much "too fast". Maybe over the course of the season. Personally I think he might be a replacement for Easley or dare i say and hope not Brockers. Im a big Brockers fan but it might end up being a cap thing. And I really hope that never happens

I do not see this happening...When the Rams lost Brockers in the playoff game ...how well did that go for this team...

One would think that it would be a good ideal to develop a solid fresh young Brockers back up than transforming a DL'er into a OLB'er? Rams have five DL'ers entering free agency in March next season......Getting Brockers back into a third Ram contract @ a cap friendly price ......ain't going to happen.

I would suggest concentrate on finding & getting a 5 tech DE up to par & let that youngster grow into it not shrink into it. Twenners are a dime a dozen.

Snead drafted 3 edge rushers in this draft, meanwhile he only drafted one 5 tech DL'er.

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Where does Morgan Fox figure into the D-line and linebackers group? i would think he is on equal footing with the rookies and other second year guys.

dang

Legend
Experience is a critical factor for NFL success. While Barwin and Quinn had their shortcomings last year I think their experience was an important part of the Rams defensive success. I would feel much better with some Edge experience (if it can be found at right $$$) to augment Our very young Edge players. Perhaps Wade has some creative ways of addressing that with the current roster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I've read somewhere that Franklin-Myers played at close to 300 lbs last year and dropped weight to get to 283.

I have read something similar too Memphis Ram.Must have been a write up about him taking off the Lbs before a late gm. I also read where he has played some DT & likes to play the interior so he must be a physical player not so finesse.

Found something here:
"Franklin-Myers carried 297 pounds on his frame this spring but played at 280 at the NFLPA game in January. His sweet spot might be around 290 pounds, which would position him more favorably as a 3-4 defensive end with some rush potential".
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-franklin-myers?id=32462018-0002-5601-3962-fcfe2ee52f31

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do not see this happening...When the Rams lost Brockers in the playoff game ...how well did that go for this team...

One would think that it would be a good ideal to develop a solid fresh young Brockers back up than transforming a DL'er into a OLB'er? Rams have five DL'ers entering free agency in March next season......Getting Brockers back into a third Ram contract @ a cap friendly price ......ain't going to happen.

I would suggest concentrate on finding & getting a 5 tech DE up to par & let that youngster grow into it not shrink into it. Twenners are a dime a dozen.

Snead drafted 3 edge rushers in this draft, meanwhile he only drafted one 5 tech DL'er.

Ya, sorry thats what I meant to say. I honestly don't see the shrink thing happening. totally agree. This draft class was to develop the next wave of players. Sign the true core must have's and make the hard decisions after this season in 2019.
Cheers

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Experience is a critical factor for NFL success. While Barwin and Quinn had their shortcomings last year I think their experience was an important part of the Rams defensive success. I would feel much better with some Edge experience (if it can be found at right $$$) to augment Our very young Edge players. Perhaps Wade has some creative ways of addressing that with the current roster.

I understand the desire for some more experienced 34 D OLB'ers since we really did not have any last season. Quinn had never played OLB'er in a 34 D before 2017 so he offered nothing. Barwin offered some but he had been playing back in forth in 34 D & 43 D's so he did have the majority of the desired 34 D experience, but his play was not what was expected from the ex all pro.

Longacre is entering his 4th Training Camp now & played the run soooo much better than Quinn. Ebukam is a athletic freak & once he settles down watch out. I still maintain that 3rd yr LB'er Cory Littleton will find his way back to OSLB'er posts this season. Cory is entering his 3rd Training Camp too. Cory is very resourceful up near the LOS.

If you want experience... you will need to go to the DL & DB units to find it. In passing downs I would expect a very experienced four man front to appear on the field with Brockers/ Suh/ Donald & Easley hard to find a better pass rushing DL than that. Why worry about the youth @ OLB'er when you can march a DL like that onto the field. The Offense Line will be in need of a case of butt wipes after experiencing them for a series.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend

I think asking him to drop 20 before camp might be too much "too fast". Maybe over the course of the season. Personally I think he might be a replacement for Easley or dare i say and hope not Brockers. Im a big Brockers fan but it might end up being a cap thing. And I really hope that never happens
It depends on body composition.
If he is a stout, strong not fat 283, yes too soon and probably no benefit to him losing weight. If he is soft and not strong he could lose 20 lbs while gaining strength.

Name
MistahTroupe
Rams Feel Good About Depth at Linebacker
Posted 20 hours ago
Kristen Lago
Rams Writer/Reporter
@kristennlago

Heading into this year’s NFL Draft, linebacker was a major position of need for the Rams.

This offseason, the club traded its starting edge defender Robert Quinn to the Dolphins. Starting middle linebacker Alec Ogletree was then traded to the Giants and starting outside linebacker Connor Barwin remains an unsigned free agent. Inside linebacker Mark Barron is the last remaining starter of the group on the team’s roster from 2017 — leaving three slots likely open for the next season.

But despite the large holes on defense, coordinator Wade Phillips said he was confident about the club’s depth at the position.

“We lost two outside backers and one inside backer who were starters,” Phillips told therams.com. “So, it’s opening places for guys to step up and play. And I think some of these guys that we got were added to help us. I’m looking forward to that, but we [do] feel good about where we are.”

The group Phillips was referring to includes outside linebackers Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Trevon Young, as well as inside linebackers Micah Kiser and Travin Howard.

“I think you look at it and you like some of the depth that you’re able to create with some guys that can play on the edge,” head coach Sean McVay said recently. “Then you add interior players that can do some different things and allow us to be a bit more versatile at some of those spots and add some depth.”

Kiser has been talked about as one of the rookies with the best chances at making an early impact on the defense. The Virginia product led the ACC in tackles for three consecutive seasons, recording 33.5 tackles for loss, 19.0 sacks, and eight forced fumbles along the way.

“Micah has an opportunity to fit in, I mean we lost our MIKE linebacker,” Phillips said. “We lost our leading tackler, so hopefully he can come in and step into those shoes, which are big shoes for a young guy.”

“But he’s got all the talent,” he continued. “I mean hey, those are great things going in and I think it’ll take him a little time, but we feel like he was a really good fit for us.”

All four rookies will join a linebacker room that already includes Samson Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Cory Littleton, Bryce Hager, Ejuan Price, Garrett Sickels, Carlos Thompson and recently signed Ramik Wilson. Of the group, Ebukam, Longacre, and Littleton have the most game experience, combining for 1,007 snaps in 2017.

All together — with some significant contributors from last season and a couple of promising newcomers — the Rams linebacker group includes several viable options for 2018.

“We [definitely] have some guys on the team that can come through for us,” Phillips said. “It’s going to play out, but I feel good about it right now. We have some talent.”

dang

Legend
I understand the desire for some more experienced 34 D OLB'ers since we really did not have any last season. Quinn had never played OLB'er in a 34 D before 2017 so he offered nothing. Barwin offered some but he had been playing back in forth in 34 D & 43 D's so he did have the majority of the desired 34 D experience, but his play was not what was expected from the ex all pro.

Longacre is entering his 4th Training Camp now & played the run soooo much better than Quinn. Ebukam is a athletic freak & once he settles down watch out. I still maintain that 3rd yr LB'er Cory Littleton will find his way back to OSLB'er posts this season. Cory is entering his 3rd Training Camp too. Cory is very resourceful up near the LOS.

If you want experience... you will need to go to the DL & DB units to find it. In passing downs I would expect a very experienced four man front to appear on the field with Brockers/ Suh/ Donald & Easley hard to find a better pass rushing DL than that. Why worry about the youth @ OLB'er when you can march a DL like that onto the field. The Offense Line will be in need of a case of butt wipes after experiencing them for a series.
Looking at the Rams depth chart at ourlads.com. The Rams look real thin at EDGE/OLB and FS.

EDGE/OLB - Behind Ebukam and Longacre are 2 rookies - T Young and Obo Okoronkwo. I like the potential of this group but it looks very green to start with. Really banging the drum for one vet player to bring some leadership/experience especially for the first half of the year.

FS - solid as Sears with L Joyner - but backed up by M Christian. That's not a very comfortable feeling. S is one area where there are a number of unsigned FAs that might be had for pennies on the dollar and bring some solid backup.

dang

Legend
Potential low $$$ options:

EDGE/OLB - Junior Galette - $1M - 1 yr
FS - Tre Boston - $1M - 1 yr

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
John Franklin -Myers skill set really seems to be that of an interior DLineman. I don’t think he becomes an OLB

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
John Franklin -Myers skill set really seems to be that of an interior DLineman. I don’t think he becomes an OLB
If your a 6-4 297 lbs college DL'er who has played inside & outside in a NCAA 43- Defense It seems highly unlikely. In the most recent article where Wade had an in-depth review of his new revamped LB'ing unit Wade discuses 14 of his LB'ing prospects excluding Scales 9 of which were outside LB'ers: John Franklin-Meyer was not mentioned.

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Feel-Good-About-Depth-at-Linebacker-/07c66fa0-7e8d-4841-8953-4803d9d7512c
Wade's article discussed :
#1-Barron/ILB-225lbs
#2-Longacre/OLB-255lb
#-3Hager/ILB-237lbs
#4-Thompson?OLB-250lbs
#5-Wilson/ILB-237lbs
#6-Littleton/OLB/ILB-225lbs
#7-Sickels/OLB-252lbs
#8-Ebukam/OLB-240lbs
#9-Price/OLB-250lbs
#10-Okoronkwo/OLB-240lbs
#11-Young/OLB-240lbs
#12-Lawler/OLB-258lbs
#13-Howard/ILB/S-213lbs
#14-Kiser/ILB-240lbs
#15-neglected to name Scales ILB.227lbs

John Franklin-Meyers stated in interviews that he had played all four DL posts in college. JF said in his senior year he played the three-technique DT. He went on to say that in his first 3 season he played DE. JF did mention that earlier he even played a little outside ‘backer, dropped into coverage. In the end JF reportedly said the Rams (DL Coach) see him “as a D-end, primarily a 5-technique.” Brockers was the Rams best 6-5 300 lbs 5-tech starter...last season the Rams played Tyrunn Walker 6-3 315 (departed), Ethan Westbrook 6-4 283lbs (FA 2019)& Morgan Fox 6-3 275lbs (FA 2019) to back up Brockers.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Someone talked about a soft or hard 283.....no way to tell...but he stood up for 3 years in college....and many like one OLB to be an "elephant" or "joker" (finally remembered that one(y))
I'd like to look at him for a bit first....
Where does Morgan Fox figure into the D-line and linebackers group?

I still maintain that 3rd yr LB'er Cory Littleton will find his way back to OSLB'er posts this season. Cory is entering his 3rd Training Camp too. Cory is very resourceful up near the LOS.
Meh....Boni, Littleton has to make his money INSIDE!!!! He's built for it...he needs to add some muscle and some nasty to his game...stuff some holes...let Barron clean up...All the olb's and de's drafted/signed point to filling those backup roles (I consider Samson and Longacre the starters) at those spots....
I still wonder if Littleton or Barron can call the defense...put guys in positions???

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
last season the Rams played Tyrunn Walker 6-3 315 (departed), Ethan Westbrook 6-4 283lbs (FA 2019)& Morgan Fox 6-3 275lbs (FA 2019) to back up Brockers.
Would you take any other players on this roster to back up Brockers or Donald?? Assuming Easley is healthy....I wouldn't get rid of Westbrooks or Fox for anyone besides Easley....but...I gotta see this JFM play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Someone talked about a soft or hard 283.....no way to tell...but he stood up for 3 years in college....and many like one OLB to be an "elephant" or "joker" (finally remembered that one(y))
I'd like to look at him for a bit first....

Meh....Boni, Littleton has to make his money INSIDE!!!! He's built for it...he needs to add some muscle and some nasty to his game...stuff some holes...let Barron clean up...All the olb's and de's drafted/signed point to filling those backup roles (I consider Samson and Longacre the starters) at those spots....
I still wonder if Littleton or Barron can call the defense...put guys in positions???
Yep I feel strongly that Matt & Samson will be the starters in the base defense @ OLB. I also would concrete Barron back in his post he played last season on the weak side inside position. That leaves the mike post vacated

Okay this is a deep question "who's the mike that replaces Ogletree? is it Barron or Littleton? or Hager or Wilson & then the follow up question who will make the calls on the field for Wade & get everyone in the right positions?

If you say Barron that means they will have moved our best LB'er over the last 3 seasons .... the 6-2 225 lbs Barron away from where he played well last season....if you go with the over 6-3 lanky thin 225 pound Littleton ...I have a bunch of hard questions for you or anyone....So Cory is the Ram ready play & start the mike post? right right ? why?

I have no question or issues with Cory playing where he played & started last season, but it was not in the mike post either ... it was in the Barron post. Yet when I push deep on this accepted 2018 early game plan the comeback posts come back short in vague terms with the same ole claim that's what Wade said who will start. Do we have any statement from Wade where he says that Cory will start in the mike post?

I have a hard time seeing Wade repairing our weak run stopping defense with two 6-3 225lbs & a 6-2 225 lbs inside Lb'ers with the same two smaller NFL safeties to boot.