Let's Talk About The OLine...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay said :
*#2]Cody Wichmann 24-2 (6th rd.2015) Natural right OG. Was injured very early in camp & was out until the regular season began. Boudreau was getting poor play from first Saffold then Brown @ ORG. When Reynolds was flipped to left OG & Cody inserted next to Havenstein the right side began to trend upward from that point. Cody IMO is our best Right OG. Leave him alone & keep/remain @ starting ORG & watch those two 2nd yr OL'ers blow open running lanes.*

What this really is a product of is two guys who went back to the positions that they both played and started at for most of their entire college careers. As in the case of Darrel Williams playing LT. Havenstein and Wichmann played RT and RG respectively in college. thus the mechanics and such were a non issue for them. We all know that having guys being able to play multiple positions is a plus....there are times that having a guy who is a "pure at his position" is a good thing as well.

Might also use Jamon Brown as an example in your point too. JB true freshman season was mostly spent on the LEFT side @ OLG after switching from the defense. Sophomore yr JB won the starting RT post & started 12 games. His last 2 yrs he was the starting LEFT OT total 26 games. JB never saw any action @ right OG post. JB was coping well early with his rookie starting season as he remained @ his normal LEFT side of the OL.

Trouble :dizzy:entered the picture when Boudreau flipped JB mid season into starting RIGHT OG post....a position as stated above JB never has played before. We all know what happen & it was not good:shocking:.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...os-angeles-rams-jeff-fishers-big-kissable-ass

Where’s the Beef? On the Los Angeles Rams’ Offensive Line. That’s Where!
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ on May 16, 2016

usa-today-8858432.0.jpg

Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

When healthy, the Los Angeles Rams field five of the biggest starting offensive lineman in the NFL. But just how much beef are they fielding on Sundays?

According to SB Nation’s Adam Stites, the quintet of (left to right) Greg Robinson, Jamon Brown, Tim Barnes, Rodger Saffold, and Rob Havenstein stack up as the league’s 3rd largest offensive front; weighing in at 322.8 lbs. and standing at an average 6’5" tall.

The Raiders and Chargers boast the league’s biggest O-lines, with average weights of 327.2 and 327.0 lbs, respectively. Yet these two AFC West foes combined for 11 wins in 2015.

So what does it matter?

Perhaps size, you may be surprised to hear, doesn’t matter. If you clicked the link above, you may have noticed the Rams actually were in a tie for 3rd with the San Francisco 49ers. Given the less than stellar win/loss results of these four teams, it’s fair to ask if there's a correlation between size and on-field performance.

Not according to Football Outsiders. The 49ers, while averaging the exact same size/weight as the Rams, ranked 31st in the league in adjusted sack rate [sacks (plus intentional grounding penalties) per pass attempt adjusted for down, distance, and opponent]; allowing a sack on 9.1% of qualifying pass plays. Flip side of the hefty O-line coin, the Rams only gave up a sack on 3.5% of pass plays...which ranked 1st in the NFL.

That’s good news, especially if you’re a rookie quarterback who’s about to be thrown into the mix very early in the 2016 season. I suppose it also doesn’t hurt if you’re a second year stud running back who averaged 4.8 yards per carry (coming off major knee surgery) on your way to becoming Rookie of the Year.

Obviously, all of this relies upon the accuracy of the projected starters, and their ability to stay healthy...which is always easier said than done. With that being said, the Rams do have "smaller" guys - like Garrett Reynolds, Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal, andIsaiah Battle (maybe ?) - waiting in wings in the unfortunate case that a starter goes down.

And smaller isn’t necessarily a bad thing, ladies and gents. The Ravens field the league’s 3rd smallest offensive line (308 lbs.), yet ranked 2nd in Adjusted Sack Rate (3.8%).

As Jeff Fisher always says, "Don’t hate the lil playa, hate the game"*

*He’s never said that. Ever.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was running the Rams Oline, unfortunately for us I am not, but if I was my oline would look like this.

LT Saffold
LG Robinson
C Wichmann
RG Reynolds
RT Havenstein

That offensive line dominates.

Kicking Saffold out to LT is the single most important positional decision the Rams can make. Grob can immediately play at a Pro Bowl level at LG with his power in the run game and no pressure to keep up with edge rushers.

Saffold has played LT before, and he was solid. He's gonna be maybe a notch below your Joe Thomas's of the world but with a rookie QB coming in this is going to be critical.

Wichmann by various oline grading groups played at a very very high level. He would hugely upgrade Barnes at center.

Reynolds is a seasoned vet that played great last year and earned a starting spot. Brown needs a little more time, but will be first man up when injuries do hit.

Havenstein is a lock at RT.

For those that doubt my decision and want Grob at LT and Barnes at center. Meet me back here at mid season and let's see how you feel about those two guys. Be prepared for apologies.
Sorry but have to disagree with you its fortunate you're not running the OLine. You're overstating Saffolds play at LT and ignoring that he kept getting hurt there. I'd place higher odds that he's a backup than the starting LT.

Robinson is growing into his starting LT role and to change that now would be disastrous. He got better as the year went on and we've all seen the work he was putting in with LeCharles Bentley and the praise he was getting. Not only that but Fisher isn't going to give up on a project LT after one year starting and only one camp as LT.

I'd also place Battle and Williams behind Robinson on the depth charts.

LT Robinson, Battle
LG Reynolds, Saffold
C Barnes, Rhaney
RG Brown, Wichman, Donnall
RT Havenstein, Williams

Something will change with that because we won't carry that many on the 53 man roster. Maybe Williams or Battle on the PS and see if Wichman or Donnal can play center. OLine is the #2 group I'm curious to see in camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
......Kicking Saffold out to LT is the single most important positional decision the Rams can make. .....Saffold has played LT before, and he was solid. He's gonna be maybe a notch below your Joe Thomas's of the world but with a rookie QB coming in this is going to be critical.

I will not argue with you on your Rodger Saffold positive left OT skills & ability comments. RS could very well be the Rams best playing OLT. But for how long?

The "Rodger Saffold Saga" is rather long with many twists & turns. When RS was drafted the plan was to have him be tried at 3 OL positions early. RT/LG/RG. That plan didn't go right. First day of June 4th, 2010 spring camp RS injured his knee & was not cleared until July 28th. The hope was for RS to beat out Jason Smith @ ORT. But the 6-5 310 pound RS saw some action @ OLT & seized the opportunity started for all 16 games & excelled @ that post. During his rookie season he played with a nagging ankle & badly shoulder bruise. But RS rookie season exceeded anybody's expectations @ LEFT OT.

2011 season RS began @ starting OLT but injured his ankle once again & the ailment lingered. Later he suffered a concussion. By mid Nov-2011 was placed on injured reserve with a torn pectoral. By the RS's 2nd season his NFL career was setting a pattern. Things went south for RS real fast after his rookie season & Pro Football Focus grade fell fast too, the lower quarter of starting OLT's. As the 2011 season dragged on he in his last 10 games gave up 11 sacks. Saffold's weight was also on the rise now over 325 pounds.

RS 3rd season started with Fisher arriving @ HC before to long RS was being discussed as being moved to ORT. RS was injured in the 1st Fisher game with an injured neck/head. Then in Fisher's 2nd game first series RS suffered a knee injury diagnosed as a grade 3 MCL sprain & later missed another game due to a back. In 2013 RS was only able to finish 8 games in the line up @ OLT. Fisher saw enough of an inured RS & went out & bought a OLT Jake Long.

RS 4th season 2013 was an odd one. Fisher moved RS to starting ORT. 1st pre season game he dislocated his left shoulder on the second offensive play. Regular season 2 game 1 half he suffered knee injury another grade 3 sprained MCL. RS took over @ ORG for the injured Harvey Dahl late in the season. It should be noted RS was an absolute beast in those 4 games he finished @ ORG. However RS did finish the last two games @ OLT for the inured Jake Long & Saffold played very well! problem once again only finished 7 games in the lineup in 2013 due to injury.

2014 Fisher OG unit was in poor shape but RS signed elsewhere but failed the physical. RS returned to Fisher. RS played four OL posts in 2014. mostlry @ both OG posts until the last game when he played OLT for an injured Robinson in that game, once again RS played very well @ OLT. It should be noted that RS size was massive & well over 335 pounds, doing all that with one seriously damaged shoulder. Early in the season RS injured his ankle for the 3rd time & neck/head 2nd time but wk 8 RS destroyed his shoulder. He had left shoulder reconstruction when the season ended.

Last season RS started the first 4 games @ ORG then in game 5 he was flipped to OLG & went down early in the first half with a dislocated right shoulder & was IR & reconstructive surgery followed he was cleared to play early this month.

RS would make a good Ram reserve swing OT, a great Ram back up left OT or swing OG for this Ram team in 2016. However planing for RS to be able to be your starter for any length of time in the Rams OL???? Very Very BAD PLAN!(n):palm:

Its going to be interesting to see just how much size Saffold has been able to retain? Was he able to keep his massive size of the past 335 plus pounds or after two back to back shoulder reconstruction well within a year of each other...... have him down below his early college weight under 290??? hard for me to believe that he was able to keep up that power & size through-out these two serious rehabbing events.

One thing that would help him at OLT would be a lighter weight. Being lighter on his feet would sure serve him well @ OT. Do the Rams really have a need @ OG with Brown, Wichmann, Reynolds & Donnal and many more?

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Personally, I'm hoping that Wichmann is taking center snaps. We need a guy behind Barnes, and Wichmann is talented enough to start.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A lot of posters in this thread are discounting the importance of "continuity". To continue to shuffle the OL around is contrary to what the Rams are trying to accomplish, a set of five OL that by playing the same position and learn each others habits and strengths and weaknesses of each other during a game. Its called "continuity" and its something the Rams OL hasn't had in years. For the last 5 games last season, the Rams had their best OL play in years. They need to stick with those same 5 going into pre season and continue to build that "continuity". I understand the need to see what other guys have, but start the same 5 each and every pre season game and then substitute later.

GRob-LT, Reynolds-LG, Barnes-C, Wichmann-RG, Hanvenstien-RT. Saffold, because he can play anywhere on the OL (except C), first wingman off the bench. Brown, sub for LG, (he was bad at RG, not his position in college), Williams, sub for LT, Donnal, sub for Havenstien. That's 9 for the OL, maybe one more and they carry 10.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
A lot of posters in this thread are discounting the importance of "continuity". To continue to shuffle the OL around is contrary to what the Rams are trying to accomplish, a set of five OL that by playing the same position and learn each others habits and strengths and weaknesses of each other during a game. Its called "continuity" and its something the Rams OL hasn't had in years. For the last 5 games last season, the Rams had their best OL play in years. They need to stick with those same 5 going into pre season and continue to build that "continuity". I understand the need to see what other guys have, but start the same 5 each and every pre season game and then substitute later.

GRob-LT, Reynolds-LG, Barnes-C, Wichmann-RG, Hanvenstien-RT. Saffold, because he can play anywhere on the OL (except C), first wingman off the bench. Brown, sub for LG, (he was bad at RG, not his position in college), Williams, sub for LT, Donnal, sub for Havenstien. That's 9 for the OL, maybe one more and they carry 10.

Couldn't agree more with you about the need to maintain continuity!

I'm curious, does anyone know how many different combinations the Rams used on the OL last year?? :bueller:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Couldn't agree more with you about the need to maintain continuity!

I'm curious, does anyone know how many different combinations the Rams used on the OL last year?? :bueller:

Totally agree on the need for continuity for an O-line to have success but there is this to consider: the Patriots had a stunning 37 different offensive line combinations last season. Of course when you have a great QB and head coach(now I will have to take a long shower after typing that) it well help a team to overcome that. Have yet to find anything on the Rams stats in that area.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

:thinking::dizzy::headexplosion:

I am in total agreement with bubbaramfan, woofwoofmo & Prime Time here. Go with that youthful healthy strong OL!
Starters
ORT- Havenstein
ORG- Wichmann
OC- Barnes
OLG- Brown
OLT- Robinson
Main Reserves
6th-Saffold [LT&RT]-Game Day Reserve
7th-Reynolds [LG,RG & RT]-Game Day Reserve
8th-Williams [LT & RT]
9th-Donnal [RT & RG]
10th- Rhaney [OC]Game Day Reserve