LA Rams receiver Brian Quick has come a long way to get back on track

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...uick-has-come-a-long-way-to-get-back-on-track

AR-161019742.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

In a physical sport like football where injuries and pain are an everyday fact of life, there are locker room code phrases to contrast degrees of seriousness.

At the very top of that list sits the “car wreck” distinction. It requires no explanation or clarification, really. But for the particularly curious or naive, let’s just say gruesome pretty much sums it up.

It’s an aspect of football life as real and prevalent as the water coolers that line the back of a sideline. And it hovers as close as the very next play.

For obvious reasons it’s a subject players acknowledge only in hushed tones and knowing glances.

They know the deal. No sense dwelling on it.

For Brian Quick, the very next play occurred in 2014 during the brightest stretch of his young career. Its ramifications would be felt for almost two full years, rendering Quick almost an afterthought among Rams wide receivers and eventually left many to assume he was nothing more than a second-round bust.

All that talk has faded this year, what with Quick now settling in as a dependable receiver and viable long threat in the Rams’ pass game. He leads the team in touchdowns and yards per catch at 18. Not bad for a player many wrote off as he struggled with dropped passes during training camp, caught the wrath of head coach Jeff Fisher and seemed to be overtaken on the depth chart by promising rookies Pharoh Cooper and Nelson Spruce.

The mistake is assuming it came out of nowhere.

If anything it’s actually the continuation of a path Quick was clearing two years ago when he opened the season with 25 catches for 375 yards and three touchdowns. In doing so, he was setting himself up for a career season.

“Yeah he really was,” Fisher said. “He was really productive for us.”

But then the next play reared its ugly head. And it changed everything.

“The injury that I had, people might think it was a little injury that was easy to come back from,” Quick said. “But there was so much more to it.”

Two years ago against the Kansas City Chiefs, Quick grabbed a pass from Austin Davis then was immediately hit from behind Chiefs cornerback Jamell Flemming. In the blink of an eye, Flemming and Quick were headed to the ground.

The combination of Quick and Flowers’ body weight and the angle and ferocity of the fall put the brunt of the pressure onto Quick’s left shoulder, causing a complete tear of the rotator cuff and a dislocated shoulder.

“Pain, man,” he said.

The ensuing prognosis and the weeks and months that followed confirmed the worst.

“I literally tore everything in my shoulder.” Quick said.

Rams general manager Les Snead described it as a “car wreck” injury. Rams trainer Reggie Scott said he’d never seen anything like it. There was talk it might be career ending.

And when rehabilitation eventually began, there was less focus on football and more about getting Quick to a point where he could reach up to a kitchen cabinet and grab a plate.

Quick understood the worst-case scenario might include a life without football. But it wasn’t something he dwelled on.

It took some mind games, but he managed.

“I tried to treat it like a normal every day injury and kept grinding trying to get back,” he said.

The rest of the 2014 season was lost, obviously. And while Quick was cleared to play in 2015, the 10 catches and 102 yards he managed indicates his body wasn’t yet ready to deliver what the mind was demanding.

“Not being in the groove, it’s tough,” he said. “I wanted that to happen, but they knew it was going to take time.”

The short attention span of professional sports diverted attention away from what Quick had been through — and what he was coming back from — and onto his lack of production.

No matter the reasons, he wasn’t delivering like a high second-round pick should. The bust label soon followed.

“You have to fight. You have to be strong mentally,” Quick kept reminding himself.

The Rams signed Quick to a one-year, make-good contract during the offseason, but when he got off to a slow start in training camp and the preseason, his spot on the Rams roster seemed to be fading.

And as the dropped passes mounted, his chances of making the team dwindled.

The irony is his body felt terrific.

The dropped balls were all mental.

“Stuff happens in your life. You don’t understand why,” Quick said. “I’ve never been that guy to do stuff like that. That’s why it was surprising to coaches, even myself.

Injuries to Cooper and Spruce granted Quick a reprieve, and he’s made the most of it by emerging as the Rams most reliable receiver.

It’s not a surprise, though.

More of a continuation.

“Before he got injured, he was definitely one of our top receivers,” said Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree. “For him to bounce back, he comes to work every day and just gets better.”

It’s forced us to look at Quick differently. But maybe we just weren’t viewing him in the proper lens to begin with.

“I’m all the way back,” he said. “Nothing hurts. Nothing is bothering me. I have my confidence back. I’m doing all the things I used to do and feeling like I used to feel.

“And that’s important. It’s extremely important. Especially for my team. They need me.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ahhhh @-X- :yay::sup::banana:

You put this in here for me, huh???

My man Quick....Real talented player...Humble....Hardworking....You youngins in here, pull up a seat, and I'll school ya on what a REAL NFL WR looks like...Inside and especially out....It's not just SIZE, SPEED, and AGILITY....although these attributes are important....but it's work-ethic....You ever hear about a players work ethic, then SEE the product of said work, you better believe that guy LOVES the game...Loves to compete....It can be a first rounder or UDFA....It's the work they put in, AFTER signing the contract....After riding the bench...After adversity....It's not something someone can TALK about...but actually see (aka, B-about).... This guy, with Austin Davis, was controlling one side of the field, and when they started to scheme against him...around game 4 or 5, he still was a willing blocker...

With Britt & Gurley....and I think Kendricks...we have enough pieces....weapons...WE ONLY NEED AN ACCURATE & DEPENDABLE _______________. Fill in the blank

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Great article and confirms people had no idea what he went through to get back. He looked great in his 3rd year then the injury. All this talk about Drops is BS you can pull that % BS but he averages like 1 drop a season. Thanks X

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He might even break his career high in catches if he keeps this pace up of 2 catches a game....

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Although I was on the fence about Quick going into this season, he is winning me over big time. Many of the posters on this board - Quick's supporters, critics, and fence sitters alike - acknowledged last season could arguably be best considered a write off due to the severity of his injury. If Quick stays, healthy, and has a strong campaign I'd lock him up for a number of years while we can still do so at a decently affordable rate. He was very good before his injury. If he can sustain it over the 2016-17 that's enough of a sample size I'd be comfortable committing, while hopefully still not having totally break the bank.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He might even break his career high in catches if he keeps this pace up of 2 catches a game....
Man, thats not fair. If Keenum hits Quick last game vs Buffalo the two times he was wide open for big gains, he has over 150 yards receiving. He's finally getting open consistently AND catching the ball. It's not his fault our QB can't hit him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, thats not fair. If Keenum hits Quick last game vs Buffalo the two times he was wide open for big gains, he has over 150 yards receiving. He's finally getting open consistently AND catching the ball. It's not his fault our QB can't hit him.
He has 11 catches in 5 games

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On 18 targets. I could see how it would be discouraging if he had like 40 targets or something.
Also has 3 TDs (only 7 other receivers have more).
That's 27% of his catches going for touchdowns.

Lotta ways to look at it, I guess.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that's the case, let's keep using him. Austin, Quick, and Britt all look far better this year. Let's start using 3 WRs as a base offense. Might open things up for Todd.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's start using 3 WRs as a base offense. Might open things up for Todd.
Might as well add another one and make it 4. Seems to be his sweet spot. lol.

2c00580c3ffa46839bc3f9239eccfb67.png

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And, based on your definition, injury-prone.
Lets clarify....one injury...in your FIRST PROFESSIONAL GAME....yes, you are prone to injury....esp. in MY eyes....
Quick played 3 years before EVER missing a game to injury....Can we see the difference? You know who else is becoming injury prone to ME??? Cody Wichman...and I really like Cody, but guess what, I'm calling him baby Rodger Saffold around these parts....

Clear now?

Simple formula....put games played on the top....injuries on the bottom...anything = 1
Injury prone.... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Wait, I'm shakey at math now.....

What, you mad your boy SPRUCE! hasn't suited up? Higbee looking timid and first pass to Cooper a pick 6???? Please expound.....

I'm all for playing rookies....rookies that appear ready to play, that is.....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just curious! Do you know how many times he's been Targeted in those 5 games!?

Edit: Never mind, I just saw -X-'s post, it's on 18 Targets, not bad at all! I hope he has a career day against the Lion's and then improves on it against the Giants!

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious! Do you know how many times he's been Targeted in those 5 games!?

Edit: Never mind, I just saw -X-'s post, it's on 18 Targets, not bad at all! I hope he has a career day against the Lion's and then improves on it against the Giants!
Gotta get open to get targeted...
I'm happy Quick is contributing, but he's got a long way to go before I see him being more than a JAG. I think its funny how excited some people are about him. Amazing what happens when expectations are real low