LA Rams LB Cory Littleton earns 9th best free agent available in 2020 honors by Pro Football Focus

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the first thing to realize here is that the Rams have needed a strong side ILB for a while now. Littleton is not that. 3-4 defenses can get away with bigger and more physical ILB at the strong side post because they split the field. And by design they require linebackers who are strong enough to shed blocks and get through traffic to fill their run fit in the run game because there is one less DT up front to occupy blockers.

Littleton is just the latest Wade Phillips gem tbh and he's going to get paid (and if the team who signs him is smart they'll sign him for a 4-3 WILL spot). But I think it's important to realize there is room to actually improve the run defense by properly stacking the off ball LB positions.

The weak side ILB post looks like Howard will get first shot and he might excel there. What the Rams and their new DC thinks of him, who knows, but he looks like a fit although I would like to see some competition there because that weak side guy does need some lead in his pants and I'm not sure Howard has enough.

Strong side will be Reeder and Kiser it at this point. And looking at both of these ILB positions, I think the level of talent is quite low as is the competition. In fact it's clear we need some fresh blood at both this offseason if we want to be a defense capable of stuffing top run games.

In FA there are a couple guys I really like, but overall there's a ton of guys pending UFA which means options available. So I do think the Rams will use FA to replace Littleton by at least improving the competition level. The question is will they get after a cheaper but still a quality addition? Or will they go with a "buy low" type. I have no idea.

The guys I like in FA are Nick Kwiatkoski (Bears), and Kamalei Correa (Titans). Both are young, bring more physicality and ability to get through traffic which I feel are important, and would give us a nice shot in the arm in roster quality. But of course there are far more options than just them.

In the draft I'd be looking for more physicality on top of the FA addition too. And there's going to be LBs who can help us. I feel like for the first time in a looooong time the Rams are going to draft a good LB.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I really like Littleton, but I keep thinking about Ron Bartell, who since he was basically the only CB in the FA market, was overhyped and talked about on and on and on and on...

He left and played 7 more games in the NFL, for 2 different teams.

Raiders and Detroit, who were not exactly world beaters in 2012.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not much point in carrying on with discussions about extending Littleton if he can't be Transition Tagged due to the 30% rule, he's done as a Ram. Top brass had to be aware of this last year when extending him might have made more sense, so it appears keeping him was never really part of the plan.

Thread winner right here.

For those holding out hope we will re-sign him for "cheap", if we on ROD just posted an article about him being the 9th best FA according to PFF, you damn sure better believe his agent knows that too. Whether PFF is trustworthy or not is irrelevant - it's a basis for him to ask for $14 million per year, and there is probably a team out there that will give it to him.

The nail for him was in the coffin when we extended Donald, Cooks, Gurley and Goff. Whatever hope we had was completely extinguished by the trade and need to extend Ramsey.

Ram65

Legend

So there is hope!

Since this is a Littleton thread I'll start with him. I think he is valuable to the Rams but, so is Fowler. I think Rams have more depth to replace Fowler. I don't know if the Rams are going to pay Littleton much more than $12 Million if they want to keep him. I think Littleton's underappreciated a bit here.

The others

Ramsey-Has to be resigned
Whitworth-Questionable has been discussed
Kupp-Probable but, very expensive
JJ-Could be passed up
Reynolds-Doubtful
Everett-Doubtful

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ramsey-Has to be resigned
Whitworth-Questionable has been discussed
Kupp-Probable but, very expensive
JJ-Could be passed up
Reynolds-Doubtful
Everett-Doubtful
Had to join in the fun here....
Yes agree Ramsey is listed as the top pending UFA to be signed....
Andrew Whitworth I see as highly doubtful
Kupp extremely probable
JJ III probable
Reynolds highly doubtful if Cooks & his overpaid contract does not retire.
Everett doubtful

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thread winner right here.

For those holding out hope we will re-sign him for "cheap", if we on ROD just posted an article about him being the 9th best FA according to PFF, you damn sure better believe his agent knows that too. Whether PFF is trustworthy or not is irrelevant - it's a basis for him to ask for $14 million per year, and there is probably a team out there that will give it to him.

The nail for him was in the coffin when we extended Donald, Cooks, Gurley and Goff. Whatever hope we had was completely extinguished by the trade and need to extend Ramsey.
Note:
Snead has FIVE ILB'ers signed under contract for the 2020 season. One ILB'er (Young) Snead traded for, 2 Snead drafted (Kiser/Howard) & 2 UDFA's (Reader/Natrez) had parts in the 2019 Ram defense, one had 8 starts. All five are under 25 yrs old.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So there is hope!

Sure, there is hope, but the odds might be higher for finding ice water in hell.

Unless we Tag Littleton, the chances of the Rams signing him to a long-term contract while under a 2020 30% rule and competing with possibly dozens of other teams for his services seems highly unlikely. If i'm understanding this correctly, Littleton was paid $3,095,000. in 2019, and under the 30% rule the maximum we can pay him in 2020 would be $4,023,500. This is no deterrent, it's basically an invitation for outside teams to enter a bidding war that will make Littleton a very wealthy man.

2019 Franchise Tag Cost :

LB: $15.443 million

2019 Transition Tag Cost :

LB: $13.222 million

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Well, I guess any future player restructure money could be used for extensions if this is how they choose to proceed.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think it to be smart to utilize the time to work on future salary contracts of near young pro bowl players like Ramsey- Kupp & JJ III NOW & get ahead to prevent what we have presently ongoing with Littleton, Brockers, Fowler & Greg Zuerlein.

I personally would go this route too. Ramsey's contract is going to be rough go. Demoff /Snead & the Rams team too would be in serious trouble if they loose Ramsey after unloading all that priceless Ram assets (Draft Selections). The Rams Org. will need Ramsey/ Rapp/ JJ III starting in their secondary in order to content with 9ers/Seahawks.
I'd personally prefer that they go ahead and lose that draft capital to avoid another bad contract.

It's unpopular to say, but I fear that they'll be obligated to the point of foolishness over Kupp as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Let me ask you this , ... are you more concerned about losing Fowler, Brockers & littleton for 2020, or more worried about losing Ramsey, Kupp & JJ3 for 2021 ?

I tell you my feeling on it!! As I have been posting someone asking for the article.

Les Snead & Demoff flat out Fucked Up !!
After the Super Bowl Lose I came away more impressed about Corey Littleton than ever.
WTF would Snead ever get caught in a quote like that ?? Freaking total Rookie type or just Dumb mistake. The fact Corey being quoted the same is point that he was carrying a Grudge and with what draft picks call proving you wrong inspiration.

As far as signing any of these guys it’s you sign RAMsey first and foremost. Have to let Brockers go. Littleton & Hager are tight & Brokers & Morgan Fox are tight. The Rams front office makes me made, but as anKool-side drink I’ll vent at the little mistakes.

Corey Littleton was not signed right away after having a solid special teams season with Mcvay. Barron was released & then Ogletree was traded.Leaving Corey as the Man !! Right then or as soon as he became the Mic ‘LB and the head of play calling & knowingly that he still was a core special teams guy should have been signed to a extension.Whatever the cost is Ram Fans would not be talking about letting Cory walk or Franching him.

At what point does Fucking Mangement learn ?? Spend on all these stupid as huge contracts, were they could have negotiated better & lock up Core players or postion players ?? Tru franchised TWICE ?? Nice ?
Really,franching Joyner ?? Unbelievable!!

My Point is Scout your own Players & take care of them early !! We, not Me !! Can’t they see the potential??

I’m looking at Corbett & The Rams might want to lock him up early 2020 season ???
-Yes let them test free agency, but if you lock them up with franchise tag, shows lack of self scouting. Those guys were not franchise players & it showed on the field!!
They were core drafted players that needed to be resigned.

Now Troy Hill. I like the signing . Yes Clay Matthews & Weddle I Ike’s the signings.I think Weddle is gone, but Clay stays & has a solid season.
The young Line & DB’s show The Rams working with ascending players. At what point do you take a risk of a long term contract.
When Corey Littleton was a FA, I did not understand why The Rams didn’t lock him up with a real contract. What The Rams saved with Corey Littleton he will earn back, but probably with another team ??
Just sucks he was underappreciated & I didn’t see a lot of Rams Fans pounding the table ???

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I tell you my feeling on it!! As I have been posting someone asking for the article.

Les Snead & Demoff flat out Fucked Up !!
After the Super Bowl Lose I came away more impressed about Corey Littleton than ever.
WTF would Snead ever get caught in a quote like that ?? Freaking total Rookie type or just Dumb mistake. The fact Corey being quoted the same is point that he was carrying a Grudge and with what draft picks call proving you wrong inspiration.

As far as signing any of these guys it’s you sign RAMsey first and foremost. Have to let Brockers go. Littleton & Hager are tight & Brokers & Morgan Fox are tight. The Rams front office makes me made, but as anKool-side drink I’ll vent at the little mistakes.

Corey Littleton was not signed right away after having a solid special teams season with Mcvay. Barron was released & then Ogletree was traded.Leaving Corey as the Man !! Right then or as soon as he became the Mic ‘LB and the head of play calling & knowingly that he still was a core special teams guy should have been signed to a extension.Whatever the cost is Ram Fans would not be talking about letting Cory walk or Franching him.

At what point does Fucking Mangement learn ?? Spend on all these stupid as huge contracts, were they could have negotiated better & lock up Core players or postion players ?? Tru franchised TWICE ?? Nice ?
Really,franching Joyner ?? Unbelievable!!

My Point is Scout your own Players & take care of them early !! We, not Me !! Can’t they see the potential??

I’m looking at Corbett & The Rams might want to lock him up early 2020 season ???
-Yes let them test free agency, but if you lock them up with franchise tag, shows lack of self scouting. Those guys were not franchise players & it showed on the field!!
They were core drafted players that needed to be resigned.

Now Troy Hill. I like the signing . Yes Clay Matthews & Weddle I Ike’s the signings.I think Weddle is gone, but Clay stays & has a solid season.
The young Line & DB’s show The Rams working with ascending players. At what point do you take a risk of a long term contract.
When Corey Littleton was a FA, I did not understand why The Rams didn’t lock him up with a real contract. What The Rams saved with Corey Littleton he will earn back, but probably with another team ??
Just sucks he was underappreciated & I didn’t see a lot of Rams Fans pounding the table ???
Hindsight

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hindsight

sometimes you have to have it ? As far as
Littleton goes though, I think he is gone & is carrying a chip on his shoulders.

Joe Barry is still the LB coach, so as a veteran coach I’ll trust his judgment??

I personally think The Rams have descent depth, but do need a veteran or a ascending stud LBer early in the draft ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Had to join in the fun here....
Yes agree Ramsey is listed as the top pending UFA to be signed....
Andrew Whitworth I see as highly doubtful
Kupp extremely probable
JJ III probable
Reynolds highly doubtful if Cooks & his overpaid contract does not retire.
Everett doubtful
Bonifay we are once a Again on a separate page.

—Whitworth you had doubts because of his age. I was like that with Jackie Slater before his 20 years.He wants to play & he ain’t moving anytime soon ?? Then again LSU did win a National Chanpionship, he has a relationship with the HC,plus he was big in the Cinncy Community.

the rest of the group you basically say probably, I think The Rams just have to let it play themselves out.-McSnead & Demoff are of the believe of letting players test the market & or over paying. Frustrating, but there theory is based on keeping players happy with there contracts.
That’s why I think Cory Littleton is gone.He has a Chip on his shoulder. I agree with him because he was the Roger Dangerfield of The Rams when it came to getting paid. Really Sucks !!! I don’t understand taking a stand against a UDFA who is productive vs a 2nd rd pick who has never played a down of NFL. A little old school mentality

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I really like Littleton, but I keep thinking about Ron Bartell, who since he was basically the only CB in the FA market, was overhyped and talked about on and on and on and on...

He left and played 7 more games in the NFL, for 2 different teams.

Raiders and Detroit, who were not exactly world beaters in 2012.

Ron Baretell was a SHITTY draft tweener from Stanford. Cory Littleton is a UDFA that
LES SNEAD should have PAID !!!!

Cory Littleton has earned his FA value because of his play on the field. He has always stepped up & been a playmaker.
He was a special teams gem.

It still pisses me of Cory Littleton does not get much love. He has been a Top Ram.
If there is a player who Cory Littleton reminds me of is a guy like London Fletcher.
I know that is a little bit of a stretch, but a better example than Ron Bartell.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ron Baretell was a SHITTY draft tweener from Stanford. Cory Littleton is a UDFA that
LES SNEAD should have PAID !!!!

Cory Littleton has earned his FA value because of his play on the field. He has always stepped up & been a playmaker.
He was a special teams gem.

It still pisses me of Cory Littleton does not get much love. He has been a Top Ram.
If there is a player who Cory Littleton reminds me of is a guy like London Fletcher.
I know that is a little bit of a stretch, but a better example than Ron Bartell.
Littleton is elite in coverage and excellent open field and chasing. But he is a liability filling vs the run. Rams can't afford to pay a flawed player elite money. Those days are gone.

If they sign him to a big contract they will regret it. Best fit for paying him is for 4-3 WILL.