LA Rams-LA Chargers: Winners & Losers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
On the post-game show with Jim Hill and Jim Everett, Jim Everett pointed out that Rivers' shoulders and head were looking left and LJ bit on the body movement and Rivers threw to his right as Benjamin ran untouched for the the TD.

That play in itself was a savvy move. I think Rivers would have torched all DBs and Safeties and it would not have made any difference whether it was LJ or Cody Davis on that TD to Benjamin.

Joyner cannot jump routes like a slot cb unless he is positive that's where the ball is going. Your job as a safety is to not let anyone deep on you. Last line of defense.

You could have the best defense but if your safety cannot cover the deep
Pass you become a bottom feeder defense.

Its hugely concerning. Especially if Donald holds out this season and we can't generate a pass rush.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Goff??? It came out funny after the turnover...his next throw over 10 yards looked....terrible. I mean, grown ass man...terrible...That pass to Higbee was off too...which is disappointing because they keep stressing how much those two work together.

Seemed like at least 3 or 4 came out really bad. I've never seen that in him before. Bad game for him. He'll shake it off and move on, as will I.

fearsomefour

Legend
If you recall from last season about this same time we were wondering what had happen to DW. His play was worse than Pace Murphy's this pre season. Then DW ended up once again on the IR???I never knew what was up with his injury it was never put out officially. We speculated here that his 2015 mid season injury dislocated wrist with notable soft tissue damage was the reason. I had pretty much written DW off from that point.

Guess it should be included here that in 2016 pre season DW was getting the majority of his plays @ RT. From all that I hve seen from him since he arrived I feel comfortable saying DW is much stronger playing left than right. DW does not have the needed RT size in the NFL or the power on his run blocking to ever be a good relief RT. Now on the flip side his light quick feet & technically sound others makes him a far better reserve LT.

Now I would agree with you that we need to see DW back in HD long period action @ RT in case Andrew Donnal continues slow to recover from that knee injury. Lets hope DW fairs much better now in his 3rd season than his past performance @ RT.
Yeah, DW had one of the worst games I've ever seen an Olineman have.
We will see what week four holds for him. I certainly am pulling for him.
I don't think Hav is very solid as a pass blocker at RT. Year one I know he was solid but he really struggles with speed rushers.
Is his worth as a run blocker enough to offset that?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I suspect that Wade is all over this, y'all.

Don't know what he thinks or feels, but I'm certain that he has a plan and multiple options.

Myself? I don't think it's quite fair to Joyner to judge him too harshly when he's playing against Rivers and the Charger ones with 9 of the projected Ram starters on D standing there on the sidelines.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, DW had one of the worst games I've ever seen an Olineman have.
We will see what week four holds for him. I certainly am pulling for him.
I don't think Hav is very solid as a pass blocker at RT. Year one I know he was solid but he really struggles with speed rushers.
Is his worth as a run blocker enough to offset that?

To answer your question on Havenstein......still not sure:thinking::notsure::cautious:. RH usually does better against the 43 DE's. I believe that McVay needs to game plan a chipping LOS TE on the edge rushers giving RH issues. McVay most of the time leaves the RT out there by himself.

I still maintain that Andrew Donnal is the better pass blocking RT, but not as good in the run blocking we may end up seeing AD getting more action as he returns to playing condition. We may need to remind ourselves that AD injured his hip mid way thru the 2016 season then aggravated the injury in the last game in 2016 when he was starting @ RT for Havenstein. At some point late January AD had surgery on that hip. So thus far in 2017 AD has has surgery, then the long rehabbing event, then a knee sprain of some degree or grade early in TC & here we are in the last week of pre season & AD is still unhealthy & not in playing shape.

Pace Murphy has been playing with a left arm/elbow brace now since pre season started. PM played well as a rookie last season as our swing OT. I am of the opinion that PM is capable of much better play but has had a very poor performance thus far in 2017 due mostly to the injury. As DW was hampered in 2016 PM is hampered too but can return to 2016 form once his elbow is healed.

fearsomefour

Legend
To answer your question on Havenstein......still not sure:thinking::notsure::cautious:. RH usually does better against the 43 DE's. I believe that McVay needs to game plan a chipping LOS TE on the edge rushers giving RH issues. McVay most of the time leaves the RT out there by himself.

I still maintain that Andrew Donnal is the better pass blocking RT, but not as good in the run blocking we may end up seeing AD getting more action as he returns to playing condition. We may need to remind ourselves that AD injured his hip mid way thru the 2016 season then aggravated the injury in the last game in 2016 when he was starting @ RT for Havenstein. At some point late January AD had surgery on that hip. So thus far in 2017 AD has has surgery, then the long rehabbing event, then a knee sprain of some degree or grade early in TC & here we are in the last week of pre season & AD is still unhealthy & not in playing shape.

Pace Murphy has been playing with a left arm/elbow brace now since pre season started. PM played well as a rookie last season as our swing OT. I am of the opinion that PM is capable of much better play but has had a very poor performance thus far in 2017 due mostly to the injury. As DW was hampered in 2016 PM is hampered too but can return to 2016 form once his elbow is healed.
Jury out on Donnal, but, you may be right.
Hav has issues with 3/4 rushers I agree.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If you recall from last season about this same time we were wondering what had happen to DW. His play was worse than Pace Murphy's this pre season. Then DW ended up once again on the IR???I never knew what was up with his injury it was never put out officially. We speculated here that his 2015 mid season injury dislocated wrist with notable soft tissue damage was the reason. I had pretty much written DW off from that point.

Guess it should be included here that in 2016 pre season DW was getting the majority of his plays @ RT. From all that I hve seen from him since he arrived I feel comfortable saying DW is much stronger playing left than right. DW does not have the needed RT size in the NFL or the power on his run blocking to ever be a good relief RT. Now on the flip side his light quick feet & technically sound others makes him a far better reserve LT.

Now I would agree with you that we need to see DW back in HD long period action @ RT in case Andrew Donnal continues slow to recover from that knee injury. Lets hope DW fairs much better now in his 3rd season than his past performance @ RT.

Didn't I tell you that Williams was going to have a better year? :D

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
:bow:Way to go girl You need to keep me on my toes around here!:)

In all seriousness, though, I really respect your posts. May not agree with them all the time, but they're well thought out and filled with details. Always an awesome read. Thank you for being you! :D