Knee Brace Holding Gurley Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
I really wish we still had Zac Stacy. Oh well. I was going to say that it might have more to do with fresh legs.

It just seemed like Tavon Austin was featured more on offense than special teams last week.

Teams are trying to avoid allowing Tavon to get his hands on the rock in the open field. The Rams are blocking well, and Tavon is now very familiar with what he can do on the field at the pro level now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I really wish we still had Zac Stacy. Oh well. I was going to say that it might have more to do with fresh legs.

It just seemed like Tavon Austin was featured more on offense than special teams last week.

I don't. If active, the fresh legs of Trey Watts is a better alternative, IMO.

That said, Stacy (averaging 1.7 ypc so far this year) might become available again once Steven Ridley gets healthy.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't nobody jump my ass - I liked Steven Jacskon a lot. But so did he.

This guy Gurley. - not talking running style, greatness, etc., but he really reminds of Dickerson, who a lot of y'all never saw.

Easy going, confident, knew he was good, relaxed, funny, and just a stud. When you make something look easy that isn't....
don't know how to complete that sentence.

And he was wearing a brace? The Rams have not had a GREAT offensive player since the GSOT. There....I said it.

He is.
No jumping on anything but the wagon! Look how he handles himself during the interview! He's a rookie? Are you kidding me?

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Including use correct grammar, apparently. 'can't do nothing right' suggests that you can do everything right :sneaky:

Just joshing with you of course ;)

Edit: Yes, i just used the term "joshing with you" in 2015, deal with it. :cool:

I meant to do that.

With the Packers, we need to score some points. I'd give them a heavy dose of Gurley in both halves. I'd give them as much Gurley as Gurley can handle.
I'm interested to see how well Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham are able to run against the Packers. Matt Forte was able to run all over them. Marshawn Lynch was contained and so was Hyde. The Packers defense didn't have to worry about Jamaal Charles much of the game because the Chiefs abandoned the run shortly after the Packer jumped to a large lead.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still like the ideal of getting the packers used to the running style of the trio of Mason-Austin & Cunningham heavy in the first half & then give the Packers a heavy dose of Gurley in the 2nd half.

Georgia actually did this a few times in Gurley's last year. Against Clemson we let other backs get carries in the 1st half while limiting Gurley's touches. Once the second half started we unleashed the beast and he shredded the defense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Before I read all the comments, I'ma say this, I hate knee-braces...esp. on players (skill positions mostly) in games...It does all kinda things to the natural gait...uneven load/balance....of course it slows you down....I keep hearing how there's no real proof it prevents injury.....another problem is how the knee isn't strengthened as it normally would without the brace on it.....bunch of you guys disagreed with me on this before....and it's strange a coach I think is kinda crazy (Chip Kelly), doesn't like the knee brace either and look at Sam....:whistle:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I swear dude, SO MANY FANS who watch this guy and preach the anti-wiggle. (n) TA NEVER wiggles without purpose.

Yes, we have seen him use his speed many many many many many many times. He wiggles when he needs a hole or he's avoiding the big hit. That's it. Play's dead? Wiggle and sometimes win. About to be laid out? Wiggle or high step. It's both his opportunity to make a play and skill in stopping a play against him. He's like 93 LBS wet. Let the kid play his game! (y)

PURE SPEED plays are what he does!

820966378.gif

820969870.gif

TavonAustin65YardTD.gif

820965420.gif

No one ever complains about the wiggle when it breaks him free and he gouges a D.

Go back and watch every TA play you can find both colledge and NFL. He KILLS with speed and he KILLS with wiggle, but the wiggle is NEVER used just to make a play, it's used to SAVE a play.

Trust me. Look. (y)
I'm loving Tavon, I just wish there were 15 plays like that....
Tavon vs Gurley in speed?? hmm, I still think Tavon can get out on anybody...but get run down...Gurley gets him in the 100m. Easy.....

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't. If active, the fresh legs of Trey Watts is a better alternative, IMO.

That said, Stacy (averaging 1.7 ypc so far this year) might become available again once Steven Ridley gets healthy.
Different teams, different stats, and between Tre Watts and Zac Stacy, completely different roles.

Stacy is shorter and still wins out at weight, lower center of gravity, and the guy I'd want to throw in the mix to wear down the opposition's defense.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm loving Tavon, I just wish there were 15 plays like that....
Tavon vs Gurley in speed?? hmm, I still think Tavon can get out on anybody...but get run down...Gurley gets him in the 100m. Easy.....

Tavon is definitely quicker than Gurley but Gurley has more top speed. Tavon ran the 100m in 11.43 seconds in high school while Gurley ran it in 10.64 seconds. There is a reason Gurley went to the Junior Olympics, the guy was a legitimate track star.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know I'm one of the biggest homers out there but MAN! this kid gets me excited. I can't wait to watch his career unfold

Memphis Ram

Legend
Different teams, different stats, and between Tre Watts and Zac Stacy, completely different roles.

Stacy is shorter and still wins out at weight, lower center of gravity, and the guy I'd want to throw in the mix to wear down the opposition's defense.

Not me. Stacy wins out at a rate below 4.0 yards per carry. That wears no one down because it doesn't keep the chains moving. I prefer the back with the great vision and good enough to keep defenders on their toes due to his receiving skills all day long. That will wear down the opposition's defense, IMO.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Not me. Stacy wins out at a rate below 4.0 yards per carry. That wears no one down because it doesn't keep the chains moving. I prefer the back with the great vision and good enough to keep defenders on their toes due to his receiving skills all day long.
Apples and oranges playing behind different offensive lines. I just don't think you can compare players that way, especially running backs, even more so as it relates to the situations and roles they're given.

And we do have Cunningham, Mason and Gurley all very good at receiving and blocking as well.

Stacy brings smash against the linebackers and secondary and he will wear down your tackles even without a fullback. Heck, he might even be a viable fullback option which would allow you to play Harkey as a tight end and sit Cook.

I don't have anything against Watts, I just like the diversity Stacy brings from what we already have in the arsenal.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
For a guy with his size and power, he's still damn fast even with the knee brace on. Without it? He has to be out of this world. This is going to be fun to watch for a long time.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Tavon is definitely quicker than Gurley but Gurley has more top speed. Tavon ran the 100m in 11.43 seconds in high school while Gurley ran it in 10.64 seconds. There is a reason Gurley went to the Junior Olympics, the guy was a legitimate track star.
I have been searching the internet for some Gurley track videos and I can't find them. I would love to watch him do the hurdles.

Not me. Stacy wins out at a rate below 4.0 yards per carry. That wears no one down because it doesn't keep the chains moving. I prefer the back with the great vision and good enough to keep defenders on their toes due to his receiving skills all day long. That will wear down the opposition's defense, IMO.
Yikes! All this talk of Zac Stacy.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I have been searching the internet for some Gurley track videos and I can't find them. I would love to watch him do the hurdles.

Yikes! All this talk of Zac Stacy.

My thought exactly...Stacy isn't in a Rams uniform, why all the talk about him ??? It's not the Rams got rid of a world-class RB...He's a nice back, but I wouldn't take him over any RB they have now...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Apples and oranges playing behind different offensive lines. I just don't think you can compare players that way, especially running backs, even more so as it relates to the situations and roles they're given.

And we do have Cunningham, Mason and Gurley all very good at receiving and blocking as well.

Stacy brings smash against the linebackers and secondary and he will wear down your tackles even without a fullback. Heck, he might even be a viable fullback option which would allow you to play Harkey as a tight end and sit Cook.

I don't have anything against Watts, I just like the diversity Stacy brings from what we already have in the arsenal.

I see what you are saying. I just disagree with the your take on Stacy vs. the others. Gurley and Cunningham can do what you say Stacy does. Mason, too. Watts vs. Stacy? IMO, a back with better vision and abilities to keep defenders honest is far more effective than a 3 yard and a cloud of dust type of back who tended to run up the back of his Olinemen at times. Keeping a defense on the field does more to wear them out, IMO.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I forgot about the Colts game. That was was a revelation of sorts. It gave us all so much hope. However on his punt returns so many times he stands there trying to figure out what to do and does the high step or something and lets the players gets close and then gains no yards. I am not the only one that says they wish he would just start out running straight up field and get on top of the defense instead of running sideways.

I think it's a myth myself. He's not a power runner and never will be. :pillowfight: