Kirk Cousins wants to be traded if RG3 is named 2015 starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nt-to-be-traded-if-rg3-is-named-2015-starter/

Kirk Cousins: I want to be traded if RG3 is named 2015 starter
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 29, 2014

cousinsgriffin.jpg
AP

Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins doesn’t want to spend 2015 as the backup to Robert Griffin III.

Cousins told Dianna Marie Russini of NBC 4 in D.C. that he would like to be traded if Griffin is named the starting quarterback for next season.

In Cousins’s opinion, if there is no quarterback competition, there’s no point to being in Washington. Cousins wants to play, and he doesn’t want to spend a year on the bench. Cousins added that if Griffin is anointed the starter, he would approach the 2015 season as 16 games until free agency.

It’s easy to understand why Cousins would want to have a chance to compete for a starting job. Every NFL player wants to be able to compete. And it’s not like Griffin (or Colt McCoy) has done enough to be viewed as an incumbent starter who deserves to have the job handed to him.

But it’s also hard to picture much of a trade market emerging for Cousins. Although there’s been talk that the Browns might have some interest, given Cousins’s connection to Cleveland offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan from their time together in Washington, the reality is Cousins hasn’t played well when given the opportunity. Cousins has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in his career, and of Cousins’s eight starts in the last two seasons, the only game Washington won was the game in which Cousins was benched and McCoy led the team to a comeback win.

So while Cousins may want to be traded, that can only happen if one of the 31 other teams wants to trade for him. And that’s no sure thing.

RamsFan14

Starter
If I were Jay Gruden, I'd cut Kirk Cousins RIGHT NOW! No need for selfish players in the locker room! (assuming what Cousins said is true of course).

Irish

Starter
If I were Cousins, I, too, would want out of the dumpster fire that is the Washington Fightin' Dan Snyders.

Place makes the set of Honey Boo Boo look like Leave it to Beaver when it comes to dysfunction.

Dude is too talented to waste away in that pit.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
neither is very good, imo.

Does he want to be a backup somewhere else? At least he gets playing time in Washington.

Athos

Legend
Well....

He basically got his QB competition and in season to boot, and dropped the ball. Literally you could say.

That said, I wouldn't wanna be on that shit team starting or not starting. Just seems cancerous and cankerous with a primadona at QB that the O-Line seems to greatly dislike and an owner with his head so far up his ass he's choking on his own shit.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Some players have to wake up and realize that a position as a backup is all they are good enough for.

Athos

Legend
Some players have to wake up and realize that a position as a backup is all they are good enough for.

I wish I was a Pro back-up.

Such a cush job. Get paid a nice chunk of cash. Get a front row seat to 16 NFL games. Play a little here and there. Be the guy that every fan loves (at least until the starter goes down and you have to start several games in a row).

Wish I had it that easy. :rolleyes:

V3

Hall of Fame

Such a cush job. Get paid a nice chunk of cash. Get a front row seat to 16 NFL games. Play a little here and there. Be the guy that every fan loves (at least until the starter goes down and you have to start several games in a row).

I think I'd go for Hekker's job. You do enough that you feel like you contribute, not as much stress as the kicker or back-up QB where you never know when you're coming in and having to know a phone book sized playbook, and you get paid well. Oh yeah, and it's not uncommon to play into your 40's, or at least close to them.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind making hundreds of thousands of dollars to hold place kicks either. That is the best job in the world right there.

RamsFan14

Starter

I'd be pretty upset if either of them said said something like that, however I think Cousins has had more chances to prove he's a starting QB but like @Athos said, he's dropped the ball! Based off of everything that's happened in Washington, I'd just get rid of Cousins after a statement like that. I don't think he has room to talk like that (but what do I know, there's ALWAYS something going on with that team), and this would send a message to an already chaotic team that nobody is above the team. Prove your worth, work hard and you should earn the job (that's the mindset I think every NFL athlete should have, no one should just be given a job because they want it). I don't want to hear any of this "Oh if RG3 gets the job, I want out," I just don't like at all and I'm glad we don't have players who say stuff like this. If Cousins WANTS to be out of Washington, then I guess he said the right thing. If he really wants to stay in Washington, that's the dumbest thing you could say... IMO.

But to answer your question, technically no I wouldn't cut them, however these two are in a completely different situation than in Washington. I'd be pretty upset tho, might put them in the doghouse lol.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind making hundreds of thousands of dollars to hold place kicks either. That is the best job in the world right there.
I wouldn't want it. Seems easy, but screw it up at the wrong time and you have a fanbase wanting your head.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
This guy's stock rose because he wasn't RG3. If I'd been the back up my stock would've risen too. Fact is, he came in and had one or two good performances but did very little other than that.

He needs to be on firmer ground when making statements like this.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'd burn a 5th rounder on him. Maybe even a 4th. Washington is a mess, perhaps a good locker room with young emerging talent like the Rams would be a good idea. He has the physical tools.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If I were Jay Gruden, I'd cut Kirk Cousins RIGHT NOW! No need for selfish players in the locker room! (assuming what Cousins said is true of course).
IF that's true, cut RGME immediately also.

Totally, agree with you.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Curious to hear what people who clamored all off season to sign him as a Ram think of him now....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

If things in St. Louis were as tumultuous as they are in Washington D.C. then yes I would. Cousins is picking an inopportune time to say these things considering that he didn't perform well when given the chance. He is a backup and thinks much too highly of his abilities. Cut him and roll with McCoy as backup.