Just how good is Johnny Hekker?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
PI-NFL-Rams-Johnny-Hekker-061015.vresize.1200.675.high.2.jpg

2 straight seasons leading the league in net punt yardage ave. In 2016, he was 1.8yds longer than #2 on the list, finishing an insane 46yds per net punt.

51 of 98 punts landed inside the 20. The next closest had 38. Amazing!

Here is a link you can sort the punters any way you'd like;

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/puntYards

Of course we can joke about having the best punter... but Johnny Hekker is a stud at his position... and watching other games... he really is a difference maker with field position.

jap

Legend
It's not just Johnny - it's also the scheme that John "Bones" Fassel mapped out for the special teams. I remember back in 2012-2013 Bones discussing how he wanted Johnny angling the punts towards the sidelines with the coverage team converging on the ball to hem the opposing returner in. If the punt fell out of bounds, there was no return. If the punt fell inbounds, the sideline was serve as an extra 'tackler.' Bones wanted the punts high enough and long enough that the coverage team would arrive simultaneously as the incoming ball, making it difficult for long returns if the coverage team was faithful to protect their gaps.

So what we have is a series of efficient coverage squads year-in & year-out, a constantly improving all-world punter with a big, accurate leg combining with the intelligence of Bones' plans and the terrific all-around execution of his punter and coverage squads.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is on a HOF pace, which is crazy thing to say about a punter, but true.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I would think he has to be the unanimous choice among coaches in the NFL as the best punter in the game...

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
He's good enough that fans have been talking about him. What other punter gets mentioned with praise on a team forum?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forget which game I was watching this past season... but I was like... "Wow. Their punter sucks".

Then the other team punted... and I thought... "Wow. Their punter sucks".

Then I realized just how spoiled I was watching Hekker.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
There is only one pure kicker and one punter in the hall...If any other kickers ever make it, Vinatieri and Janikowski are locks...Hekker seems to be headed toward having a shot as the 2nd punter...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Best Rams Punter in the history of the Clev/STL/Los Angeles Rams....Which includes the likes of Pat Studstill, Dave Chapple, Mike Burke, Dwayne Carrell, Rusty Jackson, Glen Walker, Ken Clarke, Frank Corral, John Misko, Dale Hatcher, Paul McJulian,Don Braken, Sean Landetta, Rick Tuten, Mike Horan & Donnie Jones...And that's just off the top of my head.
punterwide-receiver-pat-studstill-of-the-los-angeles-rams-punts-the-picture-id80387643

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If they put another one in, I'd think it'd be Shane Lechler or Sean Landeta.

Actually IMHO I think Hekker has a better shot, if the Rams continue to use him throwing the football and he has a few more success. Ray Guy got in because of not only being a great punter, but an outstanding Athlete and Hekker fits that mold. Landeta will never get in, he whiffed on a punt against the Bears, but did have a hot wife, if memory serves me correctly.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Actually IMHO I think Hekker has a better shot, if the Rams continue to use him throwing the football and he has a few more success. Ray Guy got in because of not only being a great punter, but an outstanding Athlete and Hekker fits that mold. Landeta will never get in, he whiffed on a punt against the Bears, but did have a hot wife, if memory serves me correctly.

I give Snead & The Rams for picking him up as a UDFA . Greg the Leg both in the same year. Nice way to rebuild your special teams.
They should have kept there secondary in tack the same way.Is Greg the Leg a FA still ??

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best Rams Punter in the history of the Clev/STL/Los Angeles Rams....Which includes the likes of Pat Studstill, Dave Chapple, Mike Burke, Dwayne Carrell, Rusty Jackson, Glen Walker, Ken Clarke, Frank Corral, John Misko, Dale Hatcher, Paul McJulian,Don Braken, Sean Landetta, Rick Tuten, Mike Horan & Donnie Jones...And that's just off the top of my head.
punterwide-receiver-pat-studstill-of-the-los-angeles-rams-punts-the-picture-id80387643
I remember that David Chapple....
IyuDGMM.jpg

Zero

Pro Bowler
PI-NFL-Rams-Johnny-Hekker-061015.vresize.1200.675.high.2.jpg

2 straight seasons leading the league in net punt yardage ave. In 2016, he was 1.8yds longer than #2 on the list, finishing an insane 46yds per net punt.

51 of 98 punts landed inside the 20. The next closest had 38. Amazing!

Here is a link you can sort the punters any way you'd like;

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/puntYards

Of course we can joke about having the best punter... but Johnny Hekker is a stud at his position... and watching other games... he really is a difference maker with field position.
This guy truly is a game changer.As our team improves,his importance
will become even more obvious.A lot of his contributions go unnoticed,
because the games aren't close.In a close matchup,he,and our coverage
unit is the difference in the game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have been a Rams fan since the mid 1960's I could not name a better Kicker than the one we currently have now. From all that I can find & read about him he is truly a great example of a wonderful human being! (y)