Jurors find L.A. Rams strength, conditioning coach Ted Rath not guilty of sexual battery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of the articles said the people at the house were friends and neighbors, and she was sleeping with her husband, so maybe she felt safe.
Could be. Wouldn't change anything for my part. But would mean he was out of his mind if the husband was right there. Lucky to be breathing if that's the case.

Ram65

Legend
One of the articles said the people at the house were friends and neighbors, and she was sleeping with her husband, so maybe she felt safe.

I haven't seen anything that says she was sleeping with her husband. It appears he was entertaining the neighbors which seems like it was guys only. That's why see went to bed/sleep. Him going to bed wouldn't make sense while the guests are still partying.

Ram65

Legend
How can anyone know what was going on in Rath's mind at the time. He may not even know/remember what or why he did it. I don't know how long it was between taking time off from drinking, but it can have a stronger effect on some people if it was a month or so. I don't know what the jury will decide. Looks like Rath's days with the Rams are over. We will have to see what happens with the trail.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I haven't seen anything that says she was sleeping with her husband. It appears he was entertaining the neighbors which seems like it was guys only. That's why see went to bed/sleep. Him going to bed wouldn't make sense while the guests are still partying.
Yes, sorry, I misread the article about whether her husband was in bed too.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So I wonder if the defense is conceding that he did it? Now I find their opening even stranger.

It wasn't him, but if it was him, he didn't have the capacity to form the requisite intent. And I suppose he is going to testify to not remembering any of this. "Even I don't know if I did this, but if I did, I am sorry."

nighttrain

Legend
So I wonder if the defense is conceding that he did it? Now I find their opening even stranger.

It wasn't him, but if it was him, he didn't have the capacity to form the requisite intent. And I suppose he is going to testify to not remembering any of this. "Even I don't know if I did this, but if I did, I am sorry."
The "it wasn't me" and "I sorry" defense stopped working at about 5 years of age
train

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They being law enforcement tried to set him up with a phone call that didn't work. He seemed shocked and didn't remember it. Then her description of what happen and what she did is perplexing.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My best guess is that even if it wasn't in the opening statement, Rath will be saying he has no memory of the evening. I don't think he'll concede that he did it. He'll say he has no memory and part of the reason why is the stroke-like event, lipitor and alcohol. I just not so sure the defense is conceding that he did it, just that he doesn't know if he did. If that's the case, I think the defense team has to feel good - not great -about their chances.

Jury trials are inherently unpredictable. "Reasonable doubt" "Beyond a reasonable doubt" When juries start parsing words... or don't parse them at all - things go sideways REAL quick.

That being said, Occam's Razor is a hell of a thing.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Weird how it came about ?? She did not say anything to him.By rolling on her she made eye contact with him.
He then went into the bathroom. Would be interesting to see how the house is set up.

They being law enforcement tried to set him up with a phone call that didn't work. He seemed shocked and didn't remember it. Then her description of what happen and what she did is perplexing.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...-l-a-rams-strength-coach-ted-rath/1688458001/

Had trouble pasting this one. The prosecution had her call him hoping for a confession. Rath said something about her appearance at her birthday party. Doesn't seem like anything became of it.......read the link.

I was a bailiff at a court martial once and find out some weird stuff about the law, at least military law.

One of our soldiers was accused of sexually assaulting another soldier with oral, as in the offending soldier performed oral on the victim while the victim was sleeping. The victim woke up in the middle of it and the offender got up and left the room. The victim admitted in court that he pretended to be asleep to see if the offender would do it again, which he did. This did not imply anything to the jury, like that the victim was cool with it and only regretted it on the morning when he remembered he was married and his wife might frown on this. There was a bunch of weird little things like that which gave me pause about the verdict. The weirdest being that the victim went home the next morning after eating breakfast with the offender, took a shower (with what he claimed was extra attention paid to his nether regions), then called the MP's, got sent to CID, then went to the clinic where they did a rape kit, and they STILL found the offender's DNA on him. That was weird to me. After all that time, wear/tear, and a thorough shower, they still found DNA.

What sealed the deal on the whole trial, and the biggest load of crap to me, is a weird legal evidence law in the military. If an offender is contacted and asked about the crime (in this case by the victim with CID taping it) and the offender offers an explanation the they KNOW isn't true, that's considered a legal admission of guilt. That's what sank the offender here. They called him and he said that maybe some girls came in the room and gave that dude head. Bam, he legally admitted that he did it, even though he didn't.

They were probably trying for a confession or some similar legal BS to nail Rath with when she called him asking about it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was a bailiff at a court martial once and find out some weird stuff about the law, at least military law.

One of our soldiers was accused of sexually assaulting another soldier with oral, as in the offending soldier performed oral on the victim while the victim was sleeping. The victim woke up in the middle of it and the offender got up and left the room. The victim admitted in court that he pretended to be asleep to see if the offender would do it again, which he did. This did not imply anything to the jury, like that the victim was cool with it and only regretted it on the morning when he remembered he was married and his wife might frown on this. There was a bunch of weird little things like that which gave me pause about the verdict. The weirdest being that the victim went home the next morning after eating breakfast with the offender, took a shower (with what he claimed was extra attention paid to his nether regions), then called the MP's, got sent to CID, then went to the clinic where they did a rape kit, and they STILL found the offender's DNA on him. That was weird to me. After all that time, wear/tear, and a thorough shower, they still found DNA.

What sealed the deal on the whole trial, and the biggest load of crap to me, is a weird legal evidence law in the military. If an offender is contacted and asked about the crime (in this case by the victim with CID taping it) and the offender offers an explanation the they KNOW isn't true, that's considered a legal admission of guilt. That's what sank the offender here. They called him and he said that maybe some girls came in the room and gave that dude head. Bam, he legally admitted that he did it, even though he didn't.

They were probably trying for a confession or some similar legal BS to nail Rath with when she called him asking about it.

Interesting story. This case is weird in the fact she did not say anything, especially with her husband home. She turned & let him touch her more from what it seemed ??? Her husband was sitting in the witness stand for support.Wondering when Rath will be questioned .

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@1maGoh - military law is incredible. I wish I knew more about it. More stories if you have them, please.
That was the only time I was involved in the military court system, fortunately, although there were a few things from that experience that felt really weird/different to me. After the conviction we were told that we had to have something to cover the shackles (or manacles or whatever they called them; hand and foot cuffs) because it would be demeaning if the convicted person was seen in them. Seems some to me.

The whole thing about the admission of guilt never sat right.

The victim admitted in stand that he changed his story from some previous pre trial process, which they played, and that the original thing he said was accurate (which would have gone a long way toward the defense getting one of the charges dropped; I think it was about not actually seeing who did it, but assuming who did based on where he saw the offender afterward or something) but the lawyers and the judge got into an argument about what he meant when he said that and the judge basically said if they couldn't agree on what was meant than he was going to ignore the whole thing.

They had the lab tech who tested for DNA there and asked her to describe get prices and how she found the DNA, etc. Her whole statement was basically, "I open the box. I test what's in it." Nothing about the quality or maintenance standards for her equipment or anything. Nothing about potential cross contamination. Everybody just went, "ok!" And that was that.

I found out that technically it's the prosecuting lawyers job to shout "All rise" but they pawn it off on the bailiff (who has the worst view for the damn thing) because they're lazy.

I think there's a minimum of 6 (or maybe 7, I don't exactly remember) jurors/members of the court, but they can have more. And I find out that the army is grossly incompetent at selecting people for the jury. They sent 20 or 30 people to the court for selection and all but the minimum number were MPs, CID, or trained and practicing sexual assault victim advocates for the Army. Those all got thrown out immediately for potential bias. Variable juror numbers seems weird. All of them are a certain rank or above and it's common knowledge that people of that rank have a significant disdain for the lower enlisted. You could see on their faces that they were voting guilty before the trail really got under way. Basically they all had that "this stupid Private fucked up" look. Basically the guy didn't get a fair shake, even if he was guilty.

Military courts, and military punishment in general, are really weird. They have a tendency to crush lower emitted for crimes and hand slap higher ranking enlisted our commissioned officers. Only higher ranking enlisted and officers can serve in the juries, so when one of them is on trial they all see themselves up there. Justice doesn't quite go out the window, but it takes a back seat to potential self preservation. The other thing they do is claim "I don't want to ruin that person's career. They've put in a lot of years and they need their retirement." Which makes not a link of fucking sense to me. I guess they shouldn't rape, rob, sell drugs, run prostitution rings, or otherwise break the law then, should they? But those close to retirement protect their own. And forcing someone to retire is considered a punishment. So is forcing them out of the military. There have been same pretty despicable crimes where the majority of the punishment was not being in the military anymore, basically unloading criminals onto the civilian population.

But hey, if it's not that military leader's problem anymore then it isn't a problem, right?

I'm not bitter.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i had to start taking warfarin, a blood thinning drug, and nobody told me you couldn't drink large amounts of alcohol while taking it. so we were at a wedding in the middle of summer and the reception centre suffered a black out. it was hot, the beers on the table were warm because their fridges weren't working so i started drinking scotch with ice. refreshing. i was downing them regularly, got to about half a bottle and that was it, i started feeling sick but couldn't vomit. i was in a haze. apparently i sat on a step and slept for two hours. didn't know what the hell was happening when they woke me up and pulled me out of there. woke up with the worst hangover i've ever felt. scotch was my go to drink at weddings and never affected me that way. needless to say i haven't had more than two glasses of scotch again in the one sitting.

alcohol and drugs don't mix well.