Jrry32 Senior Bowl Mocktravaganza

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jrry, stop it.

If you believe that Donald is a top 5 nfl dt (lol) then why risk it, just take him with the 4th overall pick.

Relax and let your man crush pass, donald is very quick, we all can see that but he will be available in the second round.

I'll drop it, its your mock draft afterall.

Because I have Matthews rated slightly higher and I don't deviate from my board.

It is not going to pass. I don't care where he might be available. I want the Rams to draft him where they can get him.

I believe Donald has Geno Atkins/John Randle type ability. Atkins is currently the NFL's best 4-3 DT. Randle is a HOF DT. So you better bet I want this guy on the Rams.

RFIP

I'd take Byrd or Verner (cb) in FA over Clemons, just my preference. Also, it would take a mountainous set of balls to pass on Watkins then take ANY other wr in this draft. In my opinion, it's Watkins or NO wr because he's clearly the best and the Rams already have "the rest" - Snisher knows this and if he stands pat (which I'll be sick over) he could at least say he believes the in 5 he has but if he passes on Watkins and Matthews is slow to develop or heaven forbid Quick-like, it could cost the coach his job.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I guess I should watch the Senior Bowl. When is it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take Byrd or Verner (cb) in FA over Clemens, just my preference. Also, it would take a mountainous set of balls to pass on Watkins then take ANY other wr in this draft. In my opinion, it's Watkins or NO wr because he's clearly the best and the Rams already have "the rest" - Snisher knows this and if he stands pat (which I'll be sick over) he could at least say he believes the in 5 he has but if he passes on Watkins and Matthews is slow to develop or heaven forbid Quick-like, it could cost the coach his job.

Matthews is already a fairly polished WR and I didn't draft him because I felt I needed him. I drafted him because I felt he was good value. I'll draft just about any position(aside from K, P and FB) if I feel they're great value. :wink:

Verner and Byrd will cost significantly more than Clemons...like 3.5 to 5 times as much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I should watch the Senior Bowl. When is it?

Saturday at 3 PM. I'd watch it. It's usually entertaining.

RFIP

Matthews is already a fairly polished WR and I didn't draft him because I felt I needed him. I drafted him because I felt he was good value. I'll draft just about any position(aside from K, P and FB) if I feel they're great value. :wink:

Verner and Byrd will cost significantly more than Clemens...like 3.5 to 5 times as much.

Verner is an ex-Fish draftee, I'd keep an eye on that, and he fits the Fish demo of 26 or under...not to mention he'd instantly be the #1 cb on this team, move Jenks to slot where hopefully he can cover somebody and have Tru oppo him..I like that alignment much better because I simply can not watch Jenkins on the outside misplay another punt in to a TD!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Jrry I like a lot of these players Matthews at 4 I think is a good move for the Rams they absolutely have to make a move to rebuild this line with young talent. Gabe Jackson looks like a really nice guy that Boudreau can help with technique if they can get him to play with some more fire I think he is another great piece for this rebuild. Donald is getting a lot of good ink and I'm with you on the size thing I don't really care how tall those anchor guys are I want some more push in the middle to disrupt Wilson and Kaeperdink. WR Matthews has the kind of body I want on the outside and we need someone to step in if Quick does not develop (I still think he will and I think Cook could fill this role too).

One thing about mocks that is tough for me is where do the other guys go and who else is on the board when our picks come up. I thought you did a nice job with FAs too although I do like Verner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like this mock!

Me; pass on Byrd.

We need to save the big contracts to keep our own: Quinn, Sam, and Brockers.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Its hard for a dt that is 6'0 285 to make an impact as a every down player. Size counts in the nfl, yes there are exceptions to the rule but for the rams to gamble a first round pick on donald would be a big mistaje because the huge holes we have on the OL, Cb, S.

Donald can be a very good situational type of DT. One guy that is similar in quickness is Nix deom ND. Nix is a 6'3 340LB DT that has great quickness/feet for a DT, if healthy, the guy can stuff the run and get penetration every down. One word to describe Nix is disruptive. He can stuff the run on 1st and 2nd down then provide pressure on 3rd down while multiple OL try to block him. When healthy, no DT in this draft comes close

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its hard for a dt that is 6'0 285 to make an impact as a every down player. Size counts in the nfl, yes there are exceptions to the rule but for the rams to gamble a first round pick on donald would be a big mistaje because the huge holes we have on the OL, Cb, S.

Donald can be a very good situational type of DT. One guy that is similar in quickness is Nix deom ND. Nix is a 6'3 340LB DT that has great quickness/feet for a DT, if healthy, the guy can stuff the run and get penetration every down. One word to describe Nix is disruptive. He can stuff the run on 1st and 2nd down then provide pressure on 3rd down while multiple OL try to block him. When healthy, no DT in this draft comes close

A picture is worth a 1000 words:
69yxi.gif

That's 343 pounds being put on its behind.

"Situational type DT"? Yea, if the situation is the Rams are on defense.

As far as Louis Nix is concerned, he's not even close to Donald in terms of quickness.

Thx.

Hey, Donald is listed at 6'0". No way he gets drafted in the first round.

Technically, Donald checked in at 6'1" 288. :wink: And while he might not get drafted in the first round(I honestly don't care), I believe he'll deserve to. Donald being drafted at Pick #37 in the 2nd does us no good if we have Pick #45. I don't like playing with fire, if I think you're going to be a stud, I'll take you where I know I can get you.

jap

Legend
A guy who is 6'0" or 6'1" and 285 or 288 pounds with good power and balance will usually have the edge in leverage. Why do you think our own Zac the Mack looks so strong? At 5'8", 216 pounds, he's like a nuclear powered submarine blasting through the DL. You need to be able to really bend your knees or get a number of hats on a guy when he's that low.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't care about "reaching" on Donald. Because when Donald is a top 5 DT in the NFL, no one will care whether or not you could have THEORETICALLY drafted him in the 2nd round. You know what they will care about? If we were foolish enough to pass on him because we got greedy thinking we could grab him in the 2nd round.

That kid is a stud. He's a potentially dominant player and a difference maker on defense. As I predicted, he's dominated the Senior Bowl and many people say he's the BEST player there.

A rotational DT? Please. You're placing an arbitrary designation on a guy because of his size. That was the mistake people made with Russell Wilson.

Oh and by the way, we did get a starting CB anyways in this mock. His name is Jason Verrett.

Depends how "rotational" is defined. Long and Quinn rotate out for about 15-20 snaps each per game. They are able to do this because of depth. If Donald or another DT ended up splitting time 50/50 with Langford and the end results was better play, call it whatever you want, the results are all that matter.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
jrry, I see the draft as a lot of moving parts, just as Snead has said in the past.

That means you will love more than one guy at the same or different positions, and at different points in the draft.

For instance, they may love Donald as well as another player or players and expect them to go somewhere in the top half of the 2nd round. So they trade down from the first round into the early 2nd round and take one of them there. This way they pick up another draft pick which can be turned into a Bailey or Stacy level player.

They got burnt with this approach in 2012, when they missed on the LBs and took Pead. But that was not just getting burnt by the approach. There was another very good LB still on the board when they took Pead at 50. His name is Lavonte David and he went at 58. They just needed to evaluate better and they would have looked like geniuses.

I just think Snead's approach works better in the long run. As Demoff said last year, they are gonna get burnt sometimes but the reward is worth the risk.

laramsoriginal

Starter
As much as the OP is in love with Donald, lets be real here, Rams are not drafting a 3rd down DT in the first round when the rams have huge holes on the OL and secondary. Pipe dream op, pipe dream.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry, I see the draft as a lot of moving parts, just as Snead has said in the past.

That means you will love more than one guy at the same or different positions, and at different points in the draft.

For instance, they may love Donald as well as another player or players and expect them to go somewhere in the top half of the 2nd round. So they trade down from the first round into the early 2nd round and take one of them there. This way they pick up another draft pick which can be turned into a Bailey or Stacy level player.

They got burnt with this approach in 2012, when they missed on the LBs and took Pead. But that was not just getting burnt by the approach. There was another very good LB still on the board when they took Pead at 50. His name is Lavonte David and he went at 58. They just needed to evaluate better and they would have looked like geniuses.

I just think Snead's approach works better in the long run. As Demoff said last year, they are gonna get burnt sometimes but the reward is worth the risk.

The way I see the draft is that if you can trade down, I'm all for it. In this case, I did trade down. I traded down with Green Bay(and used the pick I got from them on HB Charles Sims). However, I felt there was a likelihood that Donald could go somewhere in the 20s. So rather than risk it with another trade down, I took the sure thing.

As much as the OP is in love with Donald, lets be real here, Rams are not drafting a 3rd down DT in the first round when the rams have huge holes on the OL and secondary. Pipe dream op, pipe dream.

Lets be real here, the Rams can draft whomever they want to. It doesn't mean I'm not going to say who I think they should draft. This post is from RRF the NIGHT BEFORE THE 2ND ROUND of the 2012 NFL Draft in a topic about who the Rams should use their three second round picks on:
jrry32 said:
I'll change this up a bit.
#33 - Cordy Glenn OG Georgia
#39 - Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
#45 - Lavonte David OLB Nebraska

That was also a pipe dream. And in this pipe dream, we could have traded down from #33 into the 50s and drafted Cordy Glenn at #39, Alshon Jeffery at #45 and Lavonte David in the 50s. And yet I don't think there is a soul here that would be complaining if we had stayed at #33, #39 and #45 and come away with those 3 guys.

As I've said many times, these mocks are who I WOULD DRAFT, not who I think the Rams will draft. I don't pretend to be perfect but I'm pretty good at identifying talent. And I'll tell you right now, if you think all Aaron Donald is going to be is some rotational backup DT. You're going to be eating crow in a few years. I won't serve it to you, that's not my style. But hopefully, you'll remember.

Finally, as far as the holes on the OL and secondary go, I think I filled them quite well.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I think the rams would be a much better team on Sundays if they were able to draft the top cb and top safety in the draft and use the 2nd round picks to fill the hole at OG plus add depth at OT.

We just have different priorities op, here are mine below:

OG
CB
S

Adding depth at:

OT
DT
WR
LB