Jrry32 QB of the Future Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I have watched a lot of Goff out here in Cal and he certainly has his off days and looks mortal at times.
BUT he also has some brilliance, his deep ball is as good as it gets he has a very nice release, reads quickly and goes through his progressions like a Pro. And, And, And yes I am going to say it... shows Warner like touch. Right when I am ready to anoint him he has another mortal game but boy is there a lot to work with A LOT...........

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So we sell the farm for an air raid qb who looks good against college defense and hope beyond hope it translates against nfl defense?

Then we go out and pick up an aging wide receiver who is coming off an injury and hope he can continue to play at an elite lvl?

Not sure I agree with these options

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So we sell the farm for an air raid qb who looks good against college defense and hope beyond hope it translates against nfl defense?

Then we go out and pick up an aging wide receiver who is coming off an injury and hope he can continue to play at an elite lvl?

Not sure I agree with these options

Well...I guess the other option is to just be content with the league's worst passing offense and write off a talented QB prospect based purely on his college offense.
(Not to mention the irony of refusing to draft Goff because he was an Air Raid QB...guess which NFL team has Air Raid QBs as their #1 and #2 QBs?)

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Well...I guess the other option is to just be content with the league's worst passing offense and write off a talented QB prospect based purely on his college offense.
(Not to mention the irony of refusing to draft Goff because he was an Air Raid QB...guess which NFL team has Air Raid QBs as their #1 and #2 QBs?)
Is it Cleveland? Maybe irony, maybe a lesson, fun to ponder. I don't think anyone is writing him off purely on the scheme, but obviously the scouting has to take it into account, as well as him playing the Gramblings, Sac States, UC Davis and Pac12 so-called defenses that all give up 40 points a game to other QBs, too, not just Goff. Also factor in his WRs are exceptional in that scheme and have multiple years of chemistry together -- more irony as that was a knock against Mannion after Brandin Cooks left him!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Also factor in his WRs are exceptional in that scheme and have multiple years of chemistry together -- more irony as that was a knock against Mannion after Brandin Cooks left him!
Which wrs are exceptional at Cal?

Mannion wasn't knocked by many because of his offensive scheme or the chemistry he developed then lost when Cook left for the pros (he did play with some good wrs)....Mannion lost points, in my eyes because of his slow feet, and poor play in his last year....He looked terrible his senior year...probably due to the amount of pressure he faced because of a poor o-line and wr drops (sound familiar huh?) I also didn't think his arm was exceptional for a guy his size....

Goff is the real deal...Can't explain this enough...His team is garbage...Yet he continues to keep them in games with excellent QB play...Week in, week out...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, units can certainly look special due to "chemistry" when they have one hell of a QB. ;)

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So the argument you pose to sign him is because in nick foles and case keenum we have 2 previous air raid qbs at starter and backup? That doesn't inspire me much considering foles performance thus far and keenum is a #2 for a reason.

Please atleast show me any successful qbs that have come from an air raid system and translated to the nfl? By successful I mean multiple good years not just 1

Here's a list compiled in 2013 on air raid qbs
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/4/3/4174382/nfl-draft-2013-geno-smith-air-raid-offense

Not much of a list from an NFL standpoint thus far

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the argument you pose to sign him is because in nick foles and case keenum we have 2 previous air raid qbs at starter and backup? That doesn't inspire me much considering foles performance thus far and keenum is a #2 for a reason.

Please atleast show me any successful qbs that have come from an air raid system and translated to the nfl? By successful I mean multiple good years not just 1

Here's a list compiled in 2013 on air raid qbs
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/4/3/4174382/nfl-draft-2013-geno-smith-air-raid-offense

Not much of a list from an NFL standpoint thus far

No, my argument is that he's a great QB prospect and the offense he's in is irrelevant. My point with the irony comment is that you'd be passing on an Air Raid QB to stick with Air Raid QBs.

I can't think of any Air Raid QBs that have been successful (as in became great QBs). However, the offense is relatively new, has just started to become more widespread, and there are many variants. For example, Mike Leach's Air Raid is extremely different from the Air Raid that Goff runs. That all said, the Air Raid offense developed from an offense used by BYU and one of the QBs that ran that offense was a guy by the name of Steve Young.

But it amazes me how history repeats itself. I remember people claiming Bradford wouldn't pan out because he was a QB from a spread offense. Of course, nobody tries to make that argument 5 years later because we've seen a number of spread QBs come in and be successful including Derek Carr and Cam Newton.

It's a weak argument. You evaluate the player. Not the team or the system.

P.S. I just realized that Goff's Head Coach, Sonny Dykes, was Foles's OC his first year as a starter at Arizona. That's very interesting.