Jonathan Cooper

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@AnthonyDiMoro: #Cardinals Jonathan Cooper may ride the bench all season, per reports #sportsrants
-------

Remember this kid? UNC Guard - I once saw him called the Randy Moss of guards. Suffers a season ending injury before his rookie year even got going and now he can't crack the Cardinals starting OL.

Even the safest picks in the draft aren't all that safe. Right, Aaron Curry fans?

On an only tangentially related topic, I can't wait to see G Rob get out there and eat. I'm really hoping that whenever he is ready, he never sees the bench again. I still have my money on the Eagles game next weekend but I can be patient. As long as it happens, the when is less important to me (within reason, of course)

Athos

Legend
I definitely wanted him.

I really wonder though, how serious that injury he suffered was. You put a lot of torque and strain on the fibula even in moderate exercising. It's like one of the anchor bones when you get low to block.

I wonder if the injury isn't fully healed still, or he's just way too tentative to try it out.

He's pretty much still raw as heck as well. Injured his 3rd preseason game.

-------

Agreed on GRob. Hope, at the very least, he works up enough to come in on run plays and do what he does best. Maul guys.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@AnthonyDiMoro: #Cardinals Jonathan Cooper may ride the bench all season, per reports #sportsrants
-------

Remember this kid? UNC Guard - I once saw him called the Randy Moss of guards. Suffers a season ending injury before his rookie year even got going and now he can't crack the Cardinals starting OL.

Even the safest picks in the draft aren't all that safe. Right, Aaron Curry fans?

On an only tangentially related topic, I can't wait to see G Rob get out there and eat. I'm really hoping that whenever he is ready, he never sees the bench again. I still have my money on the Eagles game next weekend but I can be patient. As long as it happens, the when is less important to me (within reason, of course)
"WINNING IS THE ONLY THING THAT IS IMPORTANT!!" I'm NOT a ' winning isn't everything, it's how you play the game.' type person! This attitude, about football, is why they named the SB Trophy, The Lombardi Trophy! JMO

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I really wanted DeCastro myself. It's really impossible to ever say who's right or who's wrong though. If placed in another city under another head coach, who really knows how it would shake out. Would Jamarcus Russell flamed out if Tony Dungy were his coach? Would Stafford still be starting without Megatron to throw to? Would Jason Smith be in the NFL if he were drafted by the Patriots?

TheBunk

Rookie
I definitely won't mock their situation, not even subtlety. Our top pick can't even crack the starting O-line yet.

iced

-------

Eh, I give the kid a pass - he is coming off a serious injury that took a long time to recover from

I stick by my pre draft evaluation of Larry Warford being the best OG in that class, also quite liked Long's little bro.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I wanted Cooper or Warmack. Liked Warmack more for his size and meanness, but Cooper's athleticism was excellent. Didn't like Long - thought he was going to be a mediocre tackle, not a phenomenal guard - and liked Warford a lot.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I really wanted DeCastro myself. It's really impossible to ever say who's right or who's wrong though. If placed in another city under another head coach, who really knows how it would shake out. Would Jamarcus Russell flamed out if Tony Dungy were his coach? Would Stafford still be starting without Megatron to throw to? Would Jason Smith be in the NFL if he were drafted by the Patriots?

Yeah, I remember a lot of people saying he was the surest thing, elite guard, next Alan Faneca etc etc. Injury aside, he's been a good player, but not even close to the pre-draft accolades he got.

I wanted DeAndre Hopkins, Eddie Lacy, and DJ Swearinger that year.

Kinda meh when you think about it, especially when Eddie Lacy seems to have concussion issues on top of a sophomore slump.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I remember a lot of people saying he was the surest thing, elite guard, next Alan Faneca etc etc. Injury aside, he's been a good player, but not even close to the pre-draft accolades he got.

I wanted DeAndre Hopkins, Eddie Lacy, and DJ Swearinger that year.

Kinda meh when you think about it, especially when Eddie Lacy seems to have concussion issues on top of a sophomore slump.

Man, you must have awesome foresight considering Hopkins, Lacy, and Swearinger came out a year after DeCastro! :notworthy:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Man, you must have awesome foresight considering Hopkins, Lacy, and Swearinger came out a year after DeCastro! :notworthy:

Shit.

Well, I wanted Justin Blackmon, Courtney Upshaw, and LaMichael James that year.

Even worse lol.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I wanted Hopkins and Ogletree in the 1st, Swearinger in the 2nd, and Warford in the 3rd. Would have been a nice haul. I try not to think about what-ifs though, not much point. I've missed on many more players than I hit on though lol, so that might be another reason why I don't like what-ifs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What about his game suggested he shouldn't be a first rounder?

I didn't think he looked thick enough on the legs. He didn't seem like a powerhouse which most successful NFL guards need to be to really make a push. He is very fast and athletic and seemed strong enough against college Olines, but that doesn't always translate to the NFL. Everyone loved his ability to pull and block on the move but if there is not enough leg strength behind it then it doesn't matter. I prefer guards with thicker lower bodies if I take them in the early rounds.

I am always skeptical about the 'NFL Weight room' predictions too. D1 colleges have the weight training programs down pretty well. If a player doesn't fill in by his third year of college then I doubt he will gain much in a year in the NFL, especially linemen. Maybe Cooper didn't like working out, especially when he got by just fine in college with his current build. Or maybe he just maxed out his frame. I didn't see the growth and upside.

I know my criteria doesn't always fit. I was not so sure about Tyron Smith either. I thought he looked too lean, but he turned out just fine.