Jim Thomas:Jackson to void final year of contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
INDIANAPOLIS • Rams running back Steven Jackson will void the final year of his contract March 12, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Monday. That means Jackson, the Rams’ career rushing leader, will test the free-agent market.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/jackson-to-void-final-year-of-contract/article_2cec1b92-7599-54c2-8b32-1411389ae2ec.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... ae2ec.html</a>

iced

wonder if there was a break down in the talks? i know it's been assumed for awhile but not liking the timing on this

bluecoconuts

Legend
I really hope they can work out a nice extension that's cap friendly, but I understand if he goes elsewhere.

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I really hope they can work out a nice extension that's cap friendly, but I understand if he goes elsewhere.

Indeed. It would be awesome to see SJ end his career with the Rams, but if he moves to pursue other opportunities, I can't fault him for doing so.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
iced said:
wonder if there was a break down in the talks? i know it's been assumed for awhile but not liking the timing on this

They agreed to do this months ago but its totally up to SJ to stay here. But they want him to test the market to see his value. If its too much AND he doesnt want to take a pay cut he will sign elsewhere. Im pretty sure he will have 5 or 6 teams interested but at what price?

iced

fastcat said:
iced said:

They agreed to do this months ago but its totally up to SJ to stay here. But they want him to test the market to see his value. If its too much AND he doesnt want to take a pay cut he will sign elsewhere. Im pretty sure he will have 5 or 6 teams interested but at what price?

This is what I don't like:

team - cap space

Denver - $18.5
Packers - $7.1 (probably higher now)
Patriots - $18.6
Falcons - $4.9

numbers are from january 23rd though
<a class="postlink" href="http://nflmanniac.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-nfl-salary-cap-space-for-all-32.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nflmanniac.blogspot.com/2013/01/ ... ll-32.html</a>

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
So now does that mean the Rams have an additional $7 million in cap space?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I know this was assumed weeks ago, but the noise coming from camp Rams has been very positive over the last few days, IMO it would be an absolute killer if we lose both Jackson and Amendola in FA - they're 2 of our better Offensive leaders - it would be difficult replacing one of them, impossible to fill both voids...

moklerman

Warner-phile
Not sure how happy I'd be about the Rams losing SJ, Gibson & Amendola. If only 1 of the 3 stays, I hope it's SJ.

Simba

Rookie
shaunpinney said:
I know this was assumed weeks ago, but the noise coming from camp Rams has been very positive over the last few days, IMO it would be an absolute killer if we lose both Jackson and Amendola in FA - they're 2 of our better Offensive leaders - it would be difficult replacing one of them, impossible to fill both voids...

It could mean we are going to firm 2 OLM from FA and we will draft no OLM in the first 2 picks of the 2013 draft.Vaccaro or Reid with 16 th and Eyfert or Ertz with 22nd.We could trade down our 16th chose being sure the followers are not going to call our players (maybe with SEA for a 25th in the first round and a 5° round pick)-In the rounds follower we can call OLM. Fisher trusts strongly in Ganawey (with Richardson and Pead).With a good offensive line we can play with this young guys too.With Amendola, we will reach an agreemant ... I think ...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I really hope SJax ends up resigning here. If not, I understand...he want's to go to a Superbowl contender, and who can blame him. I do believe the Rams are on the way up and only a year or two away from being a perennial contender, but SJax, might be retired then.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not really a surprise here. I think everyone knew that Jackson was going to void the final year when he asked for that clause in his contract to be honored even though he didn't meet the requirements for it. I think he saw the youth movement happening here and just wanted to get in front of it so that he could be in control of his own future.

Honestly, I don't see him coming back. Too many teams with money that are one piece away from making noise in the playoffs.

paceram

Pro Bowler
X said:
Not really a surprise here. I think everyone knew that Jackson was going to void the final year when he asked for that clause in his contract to be honored even though he didn't meet the requirements for it. I think he saw the youth movement happening here and just wanted to get in front of it so that he could be in control of his own future.

Honestly, I don't see him coming back. Too many teams with money that are one piece away from making noise in the playoffs.

Since Jackson voided the contract and if he signs with another team (and, I hope he doesn't!) will the Rams get a compensation pick for him next year?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
paceram said:
X said:

Since Jackson voided the contract and if he signs with another team (and, I hope he doesn't!) will the Rams get a compensation pick for him next year?

I think it depends on what we do in FA. Personally, I would like SJ back, but I won't lose any sleep if he leaves. This is Sam's team now, whether we like it or not.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
paceram said:
X said:

I would think so. Teams get compensatory picks when they lose free agents. How high, I don't know. The level of that pick depends on several factors; including salary, playing time and postseason honors of the player leaving, and the value of any player the team signs in free agency. Could be as high as a third rounder.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Simba said:
shaunpinney said:

It could mean we are going to firm 2 OLM from FA and we will draft no OLM in the first 2 picks of the 2013 draft.Vaccaro or Reid with 16 th and Eyfert or Ertz with 22nd.We could trade down our 16th chose being sure the followers are not going to call our players (maybe with SEA for a 25th in the first round and a 5° round pick)-In the rounds follower we can call OLM. Fisher trusts strongly in Ganawey (with Richardson and Pead).With a good offensive line we can play with this young guys too.With Amendola, we will reach an agreemant ... I think ...

And I guess Snead has been singing the praises of Pead this offseason too - I just see that having Sam as the "Senior Citizen" on our O is a big ask of the QB - but I understand and respect Sjax's decision if say the Patriots / Broncos put an offer on the table that matches what he wants - it may be our "golden hand-shake" to him, if we can give him what he's after - the kindest and most respectful thing would be to let him sign with a Super Bowl potential team...

Would be a killer if he ends up on a team facing the Rams in the next Super Bowl! :s ahhh wishful thinking...

Simba

Rookie
shaunpinney said:
Simba said:
shaunpinney said:

And I guess Snead has been singing the praises of Pead this offseason too - I just see that having Sam as the "Senior Citizen" on our O is a big ask of the QB - but I understand and respect Sjax's decision if say the Patriots / Broncos put an offer on the table that matches what he wants - it may be our "golden hand-shake" to him, if we can give him what he's after - the kindest and most respectful thing would be to let him sign with a Super Bowl potential team...

Would be a killer if he ends up on a team facing the Rams in the next Super Bowl! :s ahhh wishful thinking...

I see him to play just for PIT.His way to run, similar to Bettis, is the right kind of attitude loved by PIT and Tomlin.The history teach us ...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Simba said:
shaunpinney said:
Simba said:
shaunpinney said:

I see him to play just for PIT.His way to run, similar to Bettis, is the right kind of attitud loved by PIT and Tomlin.The history teach us ...
One of my best friends and neighbors is a Steeler fan. He would go bananas if they were able to get SJ....

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Faceplant said:
Simba said:
shaunpinney said:
Simba said:
shaunpinney said:

I see him to play just for PIT.His way to run, similar to Bettis, is the right kind of attitud loved by PIT and Tomlin.The history teach us ...
One of my best friends and neighbors is a Steeler fan. He would go bananas if they were able to get SJ....

So would I. Win-win for me in that case.

But the Steelers don't sign name FAs for big money. So I doubt its happening.

I'd bet he's coming back @ reduced pay. The SB now teams that need RBs (Pittsburgh, NE, GB) don't spend that money. Other teams already have a RB (like most of them) or are going younger (Atlanta, NYG). That leaves teams like Detroit, Arizona, Miami, New Orleans which have other needs.

There are 4 teams that fit him I see: Cincy, Indy, San Diego, STL. Indy likely isn't an option b/c they have Ballard.

Cincy doesn't really have that stud RB while SD Ryan Matthews is always hurt but the team is good enough to be a wild card.