Jay Cutler benched for.. Jimmy Clausen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
NOOOOOO for the love of God. Do you not understand Cutler?

Bears fans have had him for a long time and I still don't know any of them who are sold on cutler. He's a joke around the league for a reason. Shaun hill might not be good but at least he doesn't throw turnovers like crazy. I couldnt stand to watch cutler as a ram. He forces balls into multiple coverage time after time without learning his lesson. Even trestman was supposed to be the QB guru and he couldn't fix cutler.

I at this point I'd take it. He puts up points and we have the best defense he's ever played with. I'm sick out our a stagnant alternatives.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well since Jeff George gets brought up quite a bit, he did make the playoffs with 2 different teams and in 3 games threw 9 td's and only 3 int
I wouldnt mind some of that playoff action

And Carson Palmer was considered to be a bit of a diva himself before Arizona...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
And Carson Palmer was considered to be a bit of a diva himself before Arizona...
Sometimes switching teams smartens someone up.

Faulk was considered to be a diva in Indianapolis, which is why they got rid of him for so little. If they had the player we got, we would have paid 10 1st round picks to get him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cutler has Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey & Martellus Bennett and the Bears have barely scored more points than the Rams.

Here's another one of those overpaid, overrated QBs that teams grab ahold of panning for gold. The Rams would be crazy to trade for Culter AND THAT CONTRACT.
Well, by the same token, Detroit is scoring less than the Rams and San Diego is in the ball park of Chicago. So Rivers and Stafford would be off the list too?
Chicago is a mess. Brandon Marshall is a bigger diva than Cutler and Forte may have hit that magic 29 year old age
Is it all Cutler?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Cutler's contract with Chicago courtesy of spotrac: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

19.5 mil in dead money is a big pill for Chicago to swallow but he has a similar offset clause as Finnegan had with the Rams. With the offset language in his contract, cutting him may be a better move than swallowing a 19.5 mil cap hit for a draft assuming the offset does not apply to trades. If it does apply to a trade as well then trading him obviously becomes the better option for the Bears and he could probably then be had for next to nothing. The question then becomes will another team like the Rams take on this type of contract.

zpOimgm.png

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Idk I'm just conflicted on going after free agents. Free agents are free agents for a reason, and cutler has enough baggage of his own. If we pick him up we're going to have to constantly deal with the BS that comes with cutler.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Idk I'm just conflicted on going after free agents. Free agents are free agents for a reason, and cutler has enough baggage of his own. If we pick him up we're going to have to constantly deal with the BS that comes with cutler.
I can deal with that BS. I've had enough BS for the past 11 years, that I've built up a tolerance to it.

Just give me passing TDs. If that means I have to endure some BS, then let me go fetch my plate.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I can deal with that BS. I've had enough BS for the past 11 years, that I've built up a tolerance to it.

Just give me passing TDs. If that means I have to endure some BS, then let me go fetch my plate.
But passing TDs means that TDs are being stolen from the rushing game!

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I wonder if the recent events with QBs around the league will bring down the value/contract size of non-elite QBs. Those contracts are a huge risk with no viable way to escape them if they go bad. In recent years we have seen numerous non-elite QBs get huge deals and the price keeps rising...probalby disproportinantely to the risk. It is one thing to hand $20+ mil to Rodger/Brees/Manning...but another to hand $17-20mil to Cutler/Romo/Dalton...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wonder if the recent events with QBs around the league will bring down the value/contract size of non-elite QBs. Those contracts are a huge risk with no viable way to escape them if they go bad. In recent years we have seen numerous non-elite QBs get huge deals and the price keeps rising...probalby disproportinantely to the risk. It is one thing to hand $20+ mil to Rodger/Brees/Manning...but another to hand $17-20mil to Cutler/Romo/Dalton...

Other than Romo I agree with what you are saying and I wonder myself if the market will "correct" itself since you can get players out of the draft without breaking the bank. I also think the contract Keapernick signed is going to contribute to the shift.

Big Willie

Starter
No. Please no. Jake has bad juju and the last thing the teams is more bad karma. The first 8 games he starts for the Rams he will look like Tony Romo and the last 8 he will look like Tony Banks. No, for the love of Pete, Noooooooooooo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cutler's contract with Chicago courtesy of spotrac: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

19.5 mil in dead money is a big pill for Chicago to swallow but he has a similar offset clause as Finnegan had with the Rams. With the offset language in his contract, cutting him may be a better move than swallowing a 19.5 mil cap hit for a draft assuming the offset does not apply to trades. If it does apply to a trade as well then trading him obviously becomes the better option for the Bears and he could probably then be had for next to nothing. The question then becomes will another team like the Rams take on this type of contract.

zpOimgm.png

They don't swallow $19.5 million if they trade him. They only swallow $4 million. The base salary is guaranteed. That means it hasn't been paid out so the new team takes it on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well since Jeff George gets brought up quite a bit, he did make the playoffs with 2 different teams and in 3 games threw 9 td's and only 3 int
I wouldnt mind some of that playoff action

That's a very fair point about Palmer. I remember him refusing to play for Cincy and being willing to retire until they traded him.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'm a bit conflicted. I get the public's perception of Cutler, but don't agree with it.
Would I mind if he were a Ram? - No.
For his present contract? - No.
Instead of Bradford? - No.
...but instead of all the other FA/Draft QBs? In a heartbeat.
Chris need to talk to his brother and report back to Snisher.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I would have benched him weeks ago. As I said in the other Cutler thread I don't see what would be the point of bringing in Cutler to back Sam up over Hill. He's not going to stop throwing picks all of a sudden - its just how he plays the game. So we'd pay big money for a backup - or he'd start ahead of Sam and we'd end up with a worse record because he'd throw away too many games.

Essentially, Cutler is unfixable unless he starts from absolute scratch. Because he's always had his giant arm, since HS he's made his career of throwing into tight windows and letting his arm strength get away with it. He makes throws late routinely and almost never "throws a guy open" as they say.