Jared Goff, Sean McVay push back against claims that Rams’ play-calling is ‘cheating’ or ‘immoral’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
i mean they offered to let him keep his streak going. that seems pretty classy to me
I think that is pretty funny honestly. I have never felt that Eli was all that good. He had some elite defenses and good players around him but I never felt he was anything more than average. So he has been sucking out loud this year and they offer him a participation trophy. Ouch!

CVita

UDFA
Name
Chris
Chris Simms is a dipshit. Goff is in a new system with a new coach. He's better than Simms ever was and is as good as Wentz who's been in his system for 2 seasons. I don't care what McVay says in his ear. It's a stupid argument that gives people an excuse to disregard how good our team and QB are doing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, not really sure what your agenda is here.

You said yourself you aren't sure Peyton or Rodgers are getting coached thru the headset,so you can't deny the possibility that they were.

Remember Kordell Stewart? Didn't he get benched in Pittsburgh because he wasn't running the plays the coaches called in to him.

This has been going on since the introduction of the headsets. Just because there wasn't a story about it doesn't mean it didn't happen before
Don't try to confuse him with reality. He's so far down the rabbit hole he left B Quick, GRob and Chris Simms in wonderland to fend for themselves. We all know by now he'll go to any lengths to boost his guys and criticize others. Those goal posts get moved every post.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Sounds like tap dancing to me. You are really going to say that you weren't inferring that McVay tells Goff where to throw the ball and that Wentz' OC doesn't? Yeah - I call bullcrap.

And to the mic not working... they all use them and pretty much the same way. There is a 15 second cut off because all coaches will at times run right up against it and would go beyond it if given the opportunity. If they make it so the Rams mic doesn't work, by rule, they can't use theirs either.

That’s exactly what he is implying. He’s a huge Wentz fan and obviously doesn’t think much of Goff. Apparently Goff is shredding nfl defenses this year bc McVay is spoon feeding him every bit of info he needs and if not for that Goff would look like he did last year. Meanwhile Wentz probably rips out his helmet mic pregame bc he’s that damn good and doesn’t need Pederson in his ear at all.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think that is pretty funny honestly. I have never felt that Eli was all that good. He had some elite defenses and good players around him but I never felt he was anything more than average. So he has been sucking out loud this year and they offer him a participation trophy. Ouch!

IMO he's always been in the middle of the pack as far as skills etc. But he isn't really sucking out loud and keeping the team from winning, there are several reasons they aren't. EManning isn't having a banner year but even if he was it probably wouldn't make any difference, that team is flattened by injuries.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That’s exactly what he is implying. He’s a huge Wentz fan and obviously doesn’t think much of Goff. Apparently Goff is shredding nfl defenses this year bc McVay is spoon feeding him every bit of info he needs and if not for that Goff would look like he did last year. Meanwhile Wentz probably rips out his helmet mic pregame bc he’s that damn good and doesn’t need Pederson in his ear at all.

I feel like I have to say this because it falls in ine a bit with what you are saying.

Lots of people are giving McVay a lot of the credit for Goff's play this year, and he does deserve kudos for what he has done with the O.

But McVay isn't working the pocket and throwing the ball. Goff is.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I feel like I have to say this because it falls in ine a bit with what you are saying.

Lots of people are giving McVay a lot of the credit for Goff's play this year, and he does deserve kudos for what he has done with the O.

I remember Goff saying at the end of last season he was going to do everything in his power to get better. He worked with QB guru’s this summer and clearly worked his ass off to improve his craft. Which makes all this really funny to me. Everyone is looking for a reason why Goff doesn’t look like last year and hardly anyone is attributing that turnaround to Goff himself. The kid deserves a lot of credit. Clearly so does McVay but come on some of the stuff I’m reading is just ridiculous. Comes off like the people writing it don’t like that they were wrong about Goff so they won’t give him credit no matter what. The helmet mic thing is the clearest example of that. Been used forever on both sides of the ball by all nfl teams but apparently it’s the sole reason Goff is succeeding this season lol

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't try to confuse him with reality. He's so far down the rabbit hole he left B Quick, GRob and Chris Simms in wonderland to fend for themselves. We all know by now he'll go to any lengths to boost his guys and criticize others. Those goal posts get moved every post.

It became apparent early on that this guy was trolling. Nobody with a sane mind could hold the views he does. I don't know why so many like arguing with him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
IMO he's always been in the middle of the pack as far as skills etc. But he isn't really sucking out loud and keeping the team from winning, there are several reasons they aren't. EManning isn't having a banner year but even if he was it probably wouldn't make any difference, that team is flattened by injuries.
I will admit that I have only watched him in three games this season. But in those three games, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if he was standing inside of it.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I think that's what bothers McVay the most, that people are trying to take away from what Goff is doing.

Just wait, pretty soon we'll have Chris Simms telling us it's cheating and immoral (because Chris doesn't know that the word he's looking for is unethical) that Cooper Kupp goes into the QB meetings after receiver meetings and Goff probably doesn't even wear a headset and really Kupp is the one doing it.

Or maybe, just maybe, McVay has installed a culture of learning, of absorbing football knowledge. Maybe he selected high IQ players who he knew would dive into football and film to be his core players moving forward. Maybe just maybe when he says he wants to extend the coaching to the field what he means is teaching high IQ players how to look at the field like a coach, know what everyone is supposed to be doing, as he knows that'll bring more success.

Personally I think we should ignore all the evidence that McVay is smart, and is teaching his smart players how to have a deeper understanding of the game more like himself and just go off of never-been QB's bitching.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I will admit that I have only watched him in three games this season. But in those three games, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if he was standing inside of it.

62.5% completion

Goff is 61.8%

The problem is not just Manning's play. The Gnats have so many problems..........it's like a Rams team from the last 15 years, you pick the year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
62.5% completion

Goff is 61.8%

The problem is not just Manning's play. The Gnats have so many problems..........it's like a Rams team from the last 15 years, you pick the year.
Easier to have a whopping .7% higher completion when you have 2 yards less per attempt. Jared has 45 20+ yard completions and 10 of 40+ Manning has 20 and 3. Sure that has a lot to do with his WR's being hurt and his OLine sucking. But it's funny to say that Eli hasn't had games he couldn't hit open WR's, especially if you watched our game vs them, because he has a slightly higher completion percentage is pretty funny :)

Edit: BTW looking at the numbers he completed almost 80% @Philly, kind of looking forward to Jared at home vs them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Easier to have a whopping .7% higher completion when you have 2 yards less per attempt. Jared has 45 20+ yard completions and 10 of 40+ Manning has 20 and 3. Sure that has a lot to do with his WR's being hurt and his OLine sucking. But it's funny to say that Eli hasn't had games he couldn't hit open WR's, especially if you watched our game vs them, because he has a slightly higher completion percentage is pretty funny :)

Edit: BTW looking at the numbers he completed almost 80% @Philly, kind of looking forward to Jared at home vs them.

I don't think EManning is all that and a bag of chips.

But the problem in NY with the Gnats isn't him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think EManning is all that and a bag of chips.

But the problem in NY with the Gnats isn't him.
Indeed it's not, but at the same time his bag of chips is about out of date.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
62.5% completion

Goff is 61.8%

Stats aside - I am going by what I have seen. I am not the least bit surprised by this benching.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If we cant stuff that hole, its going to be a long day
AYkKwkp.gif

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/tam/2005.htm

6-4 as a starter.....completes 61% of his throws...on a team that finished 11-5...and made the playoffs in his 2nd year....good player.....average stats....decent player....not terrible...terrible guys don't lead teams to the playoffs, no?

@thirteen28

They went 11-2 both years....he was benched in his junior year for Applewhite (buddy of mine has that last name)....he went 11-2 as a senior too...won the cotton bowl....
He's not supremely accurate QB....but he can throw....he played on a pretty balanced team in college...with nice lines and superior running backs....they don't throw like they do now....and a QB on a 11-2 team is decent....Good even....and the only reason I could see that Applewhite played over him is coaching....poor coaching...before he started playing Applewhite was losing 5 then 3 games...losing bowl games....I'd guess, not as good....probably not good at all....did Major Applewhite get drafted? And he wasn't throwing for huge yardage numbers either...like I said, pretty balanced team....with good running backs.

Choke artist....under achiever extraordinaire.....ahahahahahahahaahah....nope just unfortunate set of circumstances....when he got to Gruden, he got severely injured. Would he have been great, doubt it....Was he garbage???? You two know what garbage QB play looks like, yes?

Sorry, but I got to see him play plenty during those years, as did virtually everybody around me here in Austin. They would all characterize him the same way.

Applewhite didn't get the nod over him because of poor coaching, he got it because he wasn't a choke artist and had a far better head on his shoulders. He generally played very well despite his physical limitations. Simms had plenty of good players around him, enough to win a national title with better QBing. His choke against Colorado in the Big 12 championship when they could have went to the national title game was epic.

Vince Young and Colt McCoy both had similar circumstances around them to what Simms had, and neither his arm talent. Young won two consecutive Rose Bowls, including one for the national championship, while McCoy got the 'Horns to the national title game against Alabama, where he very unfortunately got knocked out in the first quarter of the game. Both of those guys were much better college QB's than Chris Simms.

You can defend him all you want, but Longhorn fans know what they had, and they don't miss him. For good reason. He was like Nuke LaLoosh of Bull Durham ... million dollar body, 10 cent head.