Jake Matthews Vs Greg Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just curious to get other Rams fans opinions on how you compare Auburn's Greg Robinson to Texas A&M's Jake Matthews and is there any chance you would select Robinson over Matthews? I know Matthews is very, very good and is probably a very "SAFE" bet to be a really good OT in the NFL but I think Robinson who is probably more of a gamble since he is a Red Shirt Sophomore and is known more for his Run Blocking than he is for his Pass Protection has the potential to be a great OT in the NFL (and, the Rams sure could use his blocking for Stacy, Cunningham, etc!). While I don't know if there is much of a chance of Robinson being selected before Matthews on Draft Day I do think he will close the gap some and there will be some teams that will prefer him over Matthews. I have seen some Draft experts have Robinson going to the Rams with the 13th pick (they had the Rams taking Clowney with their #2 pick) and personally I don't see him lasting that long but I will be thrilled if that became reality!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
In the little bit of video I've watched thus far, I would say Mathews is the more NFL ready day 1. He is a little more technically sound right now. That said, Robinson clearly has the high ceiling. Very athletic but a bit more raw. Either can be coached up and I think can be pretty dominant players in the NFL.
I wouldn't start Robinson at LT day 1. JM I could and feel ok about it. JM is also probably more versatile which we need right now with all the injuries we seem to have.

Both though I think probably have pretty good NFL futures ahead of them.

I'd be happy if we grab either though. I actually think we NEED 1 of them, IMO.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Purely based on Snead's talking points of what he focuses on in players, I think they would go Robinson over Matthews. Matthews reportedly has shorter arms, and I have heard Snead mention arm length on several occasions. Plus, this FO appears to lean toward exceptional physical characteristics over technical superiority. I read that Robinson does back flips, he's not your typical big ugly, he's a physical freak.

I totally expect them to trade down from #2, no way to know how far down they go but I doubt they are basing that decision on Matthews. In 2012, they started at #2 and ended up at #14. I don't see Clowney getting picked. He would represent a failure to trade down and I don't expect him to last to where we end up.

Anyone can guess at the cluster of players they are targeting in the first round. You'd think an OT, WR, DB would be high on the list. Is Barr a consideration? How much will he play in their scheme? Don't know what they are thinking there.

Anyway, I think the odds are higher that we end up with Robinson over Matthews. But Watkins may trump them both. Then there is always the possibility of a DB shooting up the board. My favorite is Dennard, and it will be interesting to see how he gets evaluated after the combine and workouts.

Here are the top 10 according to nfldraftscout (Rob Rang)
1Jake MatthewsOT1Texas A&MSr6-53051
2Jadeveon ClowneyDE1South CarolinaJr6-52741
3Teddy BridgewaterQB1LouisvilleJr6-32051
4Greg RobinsonOT2AuburnrSo6-53201
5Sammy WatkinsWR1ClemsonJr6-12051
6Blake BortlesQB3UCFrJr6-32301
7Anthony BarrOLB1UCLASr6-42481
8Darqueze DennardCB1Michigan StateSr5-111971
9Johnny ManzielQB2Texas A&MrSo6-02101
10Khalil MackOLB2BuffalorSr6-32481

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think we need both of them badly,,,..agree that I would like to see more of Greg Robinson facing off against a top 43 RDE but what I have seen is he taking on the 34 outside RDT he has tape against several 43 DE's but none of the bigger stronger speed types but from all that I have seen GR is the real deal. If GR was selected as our top OL'er in the draft we hit the jackpot! @#13. Rams will get what they need now! They need a talent to come into camp & start in the OLT post day one. GR will then have a full TC & pre season under his belt facing the mighty Quinn! When the season starts & Jake Long is still not passed his psychical then GR will start the season @ OLT. If & when Jake Long returns by the bye then GR can slide over to the OLG post. Now the Rams have a back up OLT for the often injured Jake Long. The left side of the OL will be one of the best run blocking sides in the NFL. GR has not played much on the right side so Matthews has that on GR.

Jake Matthews has much more experience & much more tape of him playing both right & left OT thus much more stuff to make the top drafting teams much more comfortable in taking a chance on him. Fisher loves the pedigree lines. Looks to me that JM can come in & start day one @ any of the four OL positions, something the Rams need & something that Boudreau loves in his cadre.

Both JM or GR would be great additions. Once the Rams know that starting ORG Harvey Dahl & Scoot Wells are cap casualties & that four yr starter Saffold has signed with another cash wealthy teams plus OLG Chris Williams & Shelley Smith are not to be resigned......meaning starting OL'ers are in great need.... If it were my call & we got no decent trade offers for our #2 pick & Jadeveon is gone with the first selection the I draft the 6-5 305 OT Jake Mathews with the #2 pick then I would draft the 6-5 320 OT Greg Robinson with the #13 pick.....now we have fixed our #1 problem with the OL.

Both would come into camp & start @ several open vacant posts OLT/OLG & ORG. The most crucial one is the OLT post. But both OG posts need a starter too. I would work both of them on the left side @ both OG & OT spots. When the season starts both will then have a full TC & pre season under their belts facing the mighty Quinn & Brockers! When the season starts & Jake Long is still not close to being ready then the one of the first rder OT's will start @ OLT the other @ OLG...not a good way to start the season but theirs enough talent there to hold the fort until Jake Long passes his physical & returns to start @ OLT. Just a guess but if this was the situation the OL would have Matthews @ OLT & Barrett Jones @ ORG. When Jake Long returns I would guess...
OLT- Long/Robinson(R)
ORG-Robinson(R)/Washington
OC- Barnes/Jones
ORG- Matthews(R)/Persons
ORT-Barksdale/Matthews(R)

You utilized theses two versatile talented OT's as the starting OG's in 2014. As the over all OL needs Fisher has filled the need of a swing OT in drafting Matthews who can play both OT & faultlessly. You have Robinson working both left side posts & if Long goes down he's ready to fill in there. Plus Fisher has place the team in an excellent position when Barksdale bolts from the ORT post for UFA'cy in 2015 where Jake Mathews can take over. OL'er Barrett Jones now becomes what he is best at versatile enough as your top reserve @ the three interior positions. .....perfect plan for me! Now the pocket passing Sam Bradford see's that the Org. has finally invested much teams worth & capital in providing him what he needs to take this team to the Championship. No more "Wavier Wire Offensive Line Contingent".

tonyl711

Starter
I don't think we stay put at #2, depends on who we trade with on who we get, unless we stay at #2 and take JM or Robinson slides to #13 im not so sure we see OT in the first round.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson?
Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf?
Finished product or raw with potential?

Now I don't think that Robinson is going to bust (I'd be fine if the Rams ended up with him), but if I could get a guy that's a day 1 starter that can play right or left tackle at a high to elite level I'd do that in a heartbeat.