Jags reportedly want Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Ryan O'Halloran in Jax said the Jags are very interested in Watkins. They may take Bortles if he slips to #3, but O'Halloran gave the chance that Jax takes a QB at #3 as 15%. Also, Mack doesn't seem to be near the top of their list. They would take Clowney if somehow he gets to #3, though.

All I know is that anyone who thinks Watkins is getting to #6, hint: Shane Gray, is way off.

I am getting the impression that Bortles is surfacing as a clear top 5 player. Just maybe, the Rams can get a trade up for him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Ryan O'Halloran in Jax said the Jags are very interested in Watkins. They may take Bortles if he slips to #3, but O'Halloran gave the chance that Jax takes a QB at #3 as 15%. Also, Mack doesn't seem to be near the top of their list. They would take Clowney if somehow he gets to #3, though.

All I know is that anyone who thinks Watkins is getting to #6, hint: Shane Gray, is way off.

I am getting the impression that Bortles is surfacing as a clear top 5 player. Just maybe, the Rams can get a trade up for him.

Clowney's stock rose sharply after his pro day, IMO. He put on a show.

Manziel's rose, too.

I get the feeling this draft is just starting to heat up a bit. The anticipation will only keep building.

I love this time of year. It's like a kid anticipating Christmas 4 weeks away.

I may get a Clowney jersey over Quinn if we go that route. A team just might give us an offer we can't refuse similiar to the RG3 trade. Like 2 1's and a third or second. I'd take that. :D

tbux

Rookie
THere is less than a 1% chance Jax takes Watkins at 3. All smokescreen here. Makes zero sense for them. Dont believe the hype. Dont believe anything you hear right now- nobody is going to tell their true intentions- surely not to a beat writer. Jax needs a QB BADLY- no way they wait on one.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And yet you dont know either.. and neither does some beat writer

Neither does ANY beat writer.

But, its extemely rare when a player like Watkins doesn't go in the top 5.

Might as well mock that Matthews drops to us at #13.

V3

Hall of Fame
THere is less than a 1% chance Jax takes Watkins at 3. All smokescreen here. Makes zero sense for them. Dont believe the hype. Dont believe anything you hear right now- nobody is going to tell their true intentions- surely not to a beat writer. Jax needs a QB BADLY- no way they wait on one.

I agree with you but I'm not sure it makes "zero" sense for them. If they only like one of the QB's at the top and he's taken already, I could see it happening. I think it's worse to force a QB just because you need one in the worst way(that's how they ended up with Gabert). I think it's smarter to get all the positions around the QB close to filled before you take a QB or else you end up with a Bradford situation.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I can see JAX taking Watkibs if he's still there at #3. You put him and Blackmon together and you have on dynamic duo. You also hedge your bet if Blackmon gets another strike and gets suspended.
The talent of a QB seems to up surprisingly when he has top notch talent at WR - they could plug joeblow in he's thrwoin to those two.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

In a draft as deep as this one with 4 teams in the top 5 needing QBs I dont think its a stretch at all to see Watkins drop to 6 or 7. Also the Deepest position in this deep talented draft is WR so I can see a lot of teams thinking threres better value to draft one in the 2nd.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I Also think this is just a smoke screen Jags can say whatever they want right now... I'm not buying it I think they have there eye on a QB at 3 and there afraid sombody is gonna jump them trading with the rams and snatch up there guy.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Where was Holt drafted?....................did I just talk myself into something?

iced

actually the Jags could very easily take Watkins. No Receiver outside blackmon and he can't get his head on straight. They resigned Henne and let Gabbert go (they have some confidence in henne).

if their QB prospect isn't there nor is clowney, watkins could very easily be next on their list.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Completely disagree.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cool. Let's bet on it. We both have tons of ROD money.

Betting on Watkins and what you said are two different things. I have Watkins rated as a top 5 prospect. But a sub 6'3" WR going in the top 5 is more rare than not. Which is why I disagreed with you. If Watkins were 6'3" 220, I'd totally agree that it's rare. But he's not.

Over the past 20 years, 10 WRs have gone top 5. And of those 10, only 2 were shorter than 6'3". Peter Warrick and Justin Blackmon.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Just love absolutes before the draft. o_O

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Betting on Watkins and what you said are two different things. I have Watkins rated as a top 5 prospect. But a sub 6'3" WR going in the top 5 is more rare than not. Which is why I disagreed with you. If Watkins were 6'3" 220, I'd totally agree that it's rare. But he's not.

Over the past 20 years, 10 WRs have gone top 5. And of those 10, only 2 were shorter than 6'3". Peter Warrick and Justin Blackmon.

Times have changed. Tavon Austin never goes #8 overall 20 years ago.

But Watkins isn't small, he's just 1 or 2 inches shorter than what used to go in the top 5. And how tall is Blackmon?

Watkins plays strong and fast. He's a tad taller than Holt, at least as fast as Holt, and much stronger than Holt; and Holt went #6. The main point is that Watkins is a top 5 pick this year, last year, and he would have gone ahead of Blackmon the year before. Anyone who thinks Watkins will go later than #5, is looking at a extremely remote possibility.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Times have changed. Tavon Austin never goes #8 overall 20 years ago.

But Watkins isn't small, he's just 1 or 2 inches shorter than what used to go in the top 5. And how tall is Blackmon?

Watkins plays strong and fast. He's a tad taller than Holt, at least as fast as Holt, and much stronger than Holt; and Holt went #6. The main point is that Watkins is a top 5 pick this year, last year, and he would have gone ahead of Blackmon the year before. Anyone who thinks Watkins will go later than #5, is looking at a extremely remote possibility.

Times haven't changed that much. Peter Warrick went top 5 a decade ago as a similar player to Austin.

Blackmon is 6'1"...like Watkins.

Watkins might be that but he's not the route runner that Holt was or as quick as Holt. And Holt didn't go top 5.

Like I said, I think Watkins stands a strong chance of going top 5 but it's far from rare for a WR shorter than 6'3" to not go top 5 even when they deserve to.

tbux

Rookie
Times haven't changed that much. Peter Warrick went top 5 a decade ago as a similar player to Austin.

Blackmon is 6'1"...like Watkins.

Watkins might be that but he's not the route runner that Holt was or as quick as Holt. And Holt didn't go top 5.

Like I said, I think Watkins stands a strong chance of going top 5 but it's far from rare for a WR shorter than 6'3" to not go top 5 even when they deserve to.

Watching both play in college, I think Watkins is quicker than Holt and has a better initial burst- Holt easily the better and more polished route runner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching both play in college, I think Watkins is quicker than Holt and has a better initial burst- Holt easily the better and more polished route runner.

Disagree strongly. Watkins isn't that quick and he doesn't have the same change of direction skills that Holt had.