Jackson shrugs off trade talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... b75ab.html

5093550e1de86.preview-620.jpg

The NFL’s trade deadline came and went Thursday afternoon, and contrary to the rumors swirling around him, Steven Jackson is staying put in St. Louis. For some players, such speculation can lead to ill will, or at the very least be distracting.

As for the Rams’ Pro Bowl running back, no harm, no foul. Not even close.

“I was very aware of the trade speculation and what was going on,” Jackson said during his regular Thursday media session. “But one thing about me, and even going back to my holdout (in 2008), I understand that this is a business. And if a particular team has options, or is taking phone calls, it doesn’t mean they want to get rid of me.

“It’s just the interest of other teams, and seeing what may happen or may transpire with my contract, especially (because) it may be ending at the end of the season. I’m not offended by it, nor am I going to be distracted by it. I’m ready to go into this bye week, get away for the weekend, but come back ready to finish strong these next eight games.”

Over the course of the past eight months or so, Jackson made it clear that he wanted a contract extension and wanted to retire a Ram. But at the end of the day, those discussions with the Rams led to an unusual conclusion. Namely, the Rams gave Jackson the option to void the final year of his contract — for the 2013 season — in which he is due to earn $7 million.

The expectation is that Jackson will void his contract and explore the market. That means he could sign elsewhere, or the Rams could re-sign him on the rebound for less than $7 million. What’s unclear is what happens if Jackson decides not to void the final year. Do the Rams risk a potential PR backlash by releasing him? Do they then fully pursue a trade? Or continue to try to negotiate toward a lesser contract?

[hil]The least likely outcome is that Jackson is back with St. Louis playing for $7 million in 2013.[/hil]

Will what happens over the final eight games of 2012 affect his decision on whether to void his contract?

“I’m not quite sure on that,” Jackson said. “Definitely I hope that we finish the season strong. Communication between my agent and the front office will happen at some point, probably more toward the end of the season.

“But right now, like I said, I’m completely focused on the San Francisco 49ers and the next eight games going forward. As long as I can continue to play good football, I think the organization will want to keep me around.”

The Rams return from the bye to play at San Francisco on Nov. 11.

With a new head coach in Jeff Fisher and a new general manager in Les Snead, Jackson said he has been treated fairly by the new regime.

[hil]“Personally and as a professional, they’ve been very transparent with me,” Jackson said. “They’ve always been open with me about my role, what they want and expect from me, and it hasn’t changed. So, although things have changed a lot around here, they’ve given me the respect of being very transparent with me.”[/hil]

As for dealing with the club on any rumors that might surface, Jackson leaves that up to his agent, Eugene Parker.

“I try my best to stay out of that,” Jackson said. “I trust his wisdom and knowledge on what’s going on in the business world and when he tells me what I need to do — he gives me my advice — I weigh it, and I go from there. But, at no point did I really feel that (a trade) may happen.”

Despite his individual achievements with the Rams, including three Pro Bowls and seven consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons, Jackson said, “None of that is why I play the game or what I have in store for my career. I want to be a part of a winning organization. I want to have multiple playoff games under my belt, and hopefully, a championship or two.”

Although he’s still getting the majority of the carries in the backfield, the time-share with rookie Daryl Richardson is nothing like what Jackson experienced in his previous seven years as the workhorse in the Rams’ backfield.

“It’s a huge adjustment,” Jackson said. “But I think the more you embrace change, it makes things for transition work a little easier. That’s why I try to do my best — just be a veteran that I know I can be. Go out there, take advantage of the opportunity that’s given to me, run hard, and show the young guys behind me how to be a professional on and off the field.”

[hil]Jackson also addressed a report in The Associated Press that he declined to talk to a reporter Wednesday and left the locker room in a huff.[/hil]

“For a number of years, I’ve always talked on Thursdays,” Jackson said. “I think we’re going on eight years now. A particular reporter wanted to interview me (Wednesday) and that was just not my day. It wasn’t that I did not want to cooperate with the media. Through thick and thin — and there’s been a lot of thin — I feel, even injured, I’ve been man enough to address the media. And I will continue to be man enough to address the media.

“I will always give you guys that respect. It’s unfortunate that someone saw it that way, but I would never just not take my responsibility in talking to you guys.”

Follow Jim Thomas on twitter @jthom1