Is Cameron Lynch bound to replace Akeem Ayers at linebacker?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

3rd LB: Akeem Ayers or Cameron Lynch next year?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Is Cameron Lynch bound to replace Akeem Ayers at linebacker?
usatsi_8770691.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...h-bound-to-replace-akeem-ayers-at-linebacker/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 20 hours ago

Right now the Rams are in the midst of building a special defense, much to the credit of head coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead and the defensive mastermind Gregg Williams.

Williams has mainly used two linebackers the majority of the time and has shown he will throw in another as a pass rusher from time to time. Akeem Ayers, who is familiar with both Williams and Fisher from his time with the Tennessee Titans, has been the situational pass rusher and extra linebacker.

Ayers plays at 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds. He moves relatively well for a player his size, and will be asked to cover tight ends like a normal linebacker, but at the same time he provides another threat to blitz. The 27-year old has accumulated 13.5 sacks in his career, and in his first season with the Rams recorded just 0.5, but was active in the coverage and tackling departments.

The Rams linebacker is set to become a free agent in 2017 and as we’ve brought up before, the Rams really need to save their money so they can re-sign a few of their main guys. If Ayers asks for more than he signed for, the Rams probably can’t bring him back to town. Luckily, regardless of whether he returns or not, there is another linebacker waiting to take over.

Cameron Lynch was a special teams standout last year and showed off his crazy speed and quickness. He very well may prove to be the perfect mold for a defense coached by Williams. With Lynch’s speed he could be a situational pass rusher, but also has the ability to thrive in coverage. He is only 22 years old and is just waiting for his chance to shine.

Related:

Why Cameron Lynch’s future with the Rams is bright

The Rams would be wise to let the former Syracuse Orangeman become the third linebacker. I know very well the Rams just drafted a linebacker in Kentucky’s Josh Forrest, and while this may not be reassuring for him, Lynch has already proven on the field that he deserves more reps. While Forrest hasn’t had his chance to prove anything yet, we already know what Lynch may be capable of at the NFL level.

I previously wrote about Lynch, and believe he could be really dynamic in Williams’ attacking 4-3 scheme. With his crazy athleticism, he could not only step in for Ayers, but he could offer more production due to the fact that he’s the quicker of the two.

It is vital for the Rams to survive the offseason re-signing process, as they can’t afford to lose their No. 1 cornerback, their star running back, elite defensive tackle and young wide receiver. They have spent way too many picks to let those players go. Unfortunately, the Rams will have to cut their losses on some of these players to prepare for a future that includes re-signing multiple key players. This is exactly why Lynch should by all accounts be the next man up.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
There is a quote from Williams that would have been good to insert here, too. He is really high on Lynch.

Good piece Jake.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I'd rather have Forrest. Lynch is a bit undersized, and while he's an athletic freak, Forrest has a lot of the same attributes.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
So off based. Lynch, Forrest & Hager will be our our backup LBs. No way our most experience LB is cut this year. Only comes into question next year. He will get paid (more than his current contract) by the Rams or somebody else.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So off based. Lynch, Forrest & Hager will be our our backup LBs. No way our most experience LB is cut this year. Only comes into question next year. He will get paid (more than his current contract) by the Rams or somebody else.
Yes, this is about next year

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Honestly, I'd rather have Forrest. Lynch is a bit undersized, and while he's an athletic freak, Forrest has a lot of the same attributes.
I think Forrest could be a better edge rusher

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
There is a quote from Williams that would have been good to insert here, too. He is really high on Lynch.

Good piece Jake.
DAMN! Thanks man appreciate it! haha

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can see Lynch in a Barron role. Depth at all positions would be nice. Next man up y'know?

Hey @jakebogen95 - nice write up BTW. I like your work.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I can see Lynch in a Barron role. Depth at all positions would be nice. Next man up y'know?

Hey @jakebogen95 - nice write up BTW. I like your work.
Thanks man I appreciate that! Huge fan of Lynch and Barron so I hope you are right haha

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thanks man I appreciate that! Huge fan of Lynch and Barron so I hope you are right haha
Like the fact Lynch is only 22,but has a way to go to be a starter.Special teams is his bread & butter.
Who beats out Chase Reynolds ? Marquis Bradley has upside as well on special teams.He took over for Stedman Bailey.
Mo Alexander & Joyner need to fill in for Rodney McCloud. Rodney shows how the path to a big payday is earned.
--- Akers is underated even by me. As a poster on here says A. Akers is the backup MLB.
JL #55 is gone & I look forward to seeing what Bryce Hager brings this year.
---I like your post & really look forward to the preseason. It does fire me up thinking the depth.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Lynch....but before I believe in his actual game....I wanna see him....I kept thinking Ray Ray & Darren Bates could handle the LB role...then when they got on the field, they looked terrible....

I also see him as more of a MLB...think he's barely 6'0 tall....

Ayers has been a favorite of mine since UCLA...he was Anthony Barr b4 Anthony Barr....He's been pretty good in coverage, and he came into the league with excellent pass rushing moves....I think he breaks out with a good season after a year in the system....he should be pretty easy to re-sign

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Really excited to see what Forrest can do. I love that athleticism, especially for a dude his size. A converted WR playing LB? I'd have to think he's got the chops to cover a TE, not to mention the speed to get downhill and stop a run.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like Lynch....but before I believe in his actual game....I wanna see him....I kept thinking Ray Ray & Darren Bates could handle the LB role...then when they got on the field, they looked terrible....

I also see him as more of a MLB...think he's barely 6'0 tall....

Ayers has been a favorite of mine since UCLA...he was Anthony Barr b4 Anthony Barr....He's been pretty good in coverage, and he came into the league with excellent pass rushing moves....I think he breaks out with a good season after a year in the system....he should be pretty easy to re-sign

Akers basically has been in the system for awhile now. He played for Williams at Tennessee. He helped NE in there Super Bowl run.
I never thought of him as a MLB, more as a WLB that can come if the edge when asked.
From what Inunderstand though is he would be the back up MLB if Ogletree went down again ? I'm still in believe it would go to Bryce Hager .
---Lynch is more of a special teams guy. He plays smarter than Ray Ray & Bates . Those 2 had a couple screws loose.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Like the fact Lynch is only 22,but has a way to go to be a starter.Special teams is his bread & butter.
Who beats out Chase Reynolds ? Marquis Bradley has upside as well on special teams.He took over for Stedman Bailey.
Mo Alexander & Joyner need to fill in for Rodney McCloud. Rodney shows how the path to a big payday is earned.
--- Akers is underated even by me. As a poster on here says A. Akers is the backup MLB.
JL #55 is gone & I look forward to seeing what Bryce Hager brings this year.
---I like your post & really look forward to the preseason. It does fire me up thinking the depth.
Thank you! I appreciate it, btw you left out Brian Randolph in your post. I recommend you check him out. Has a chance to be starter at FS

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm
Thank you! I appreciate it, btw you left out Brian Randolph in your post. I recommend you check him out. Has a chance to be starter at FS

I'm going to say I have to see it to believe it !!! You have a lot of knowledge & hindsite that I really like.You have some serious writing skills as well.
I think your a little out of the box. I will try to get to training camp. Just around the corner from UCI . I will have a solid view on players that catch my eyes.In fact I might need to go to the get some glasses.
Brain Randolph ?? Why are you that high on him ?? Cody. Davies is set to prove himself at FS.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see him and Forrest as options in 2017. Lets not forget Alec Ogletree would be playing on his 5th year option and would jump from about $1.4 million (plus signing bonus) to about $8.5 million. His 5th year option is going to totally depend on health and performance this year. If for some reason Tree isn't kept on the 5th year option or resigned we could see a 2nd year player in Forrest at MLB and Lynch sliding in to Ayer's slot. That's a lot of youth in the linebacking corp but at this point anything is possible speculating a year out. Nice write up.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I feel like Ayers is the best choice if available. He has the size, experience, skillset, and a ring. I'm sure Lynch and Forrest have potential but it's hard to ignore how small Lynch is and Forrest has been struggling with his shape so he needs to get that in check.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'm

I'm going to say I have to see it to believe it !!! You have a lot of knowledge & hindsite that I really like.You have some serious writing skills as well.
I think your a little out of the box. I will try to get to training camp. Just around the corner from UCI . I will have a solid view on players that catch my eyes.In fact I might need to go to the get some glasses.
Brain Randolph ?? Why are you that high on him ?? Cody. Davies is set to prove himself at FS.
Watch #43 closely. Tennessee Volunteers fans are practically depressed he's gone. True captain, hard hitting, smart, insinctive with great closing speed and coverage skills. He played alot of center field at Tenn. and because of that he was able to show off his closing speed which really leads me to believe he can play FS. He is 6'0 almost 200 pounds so he needs to bulk up a tad but wow the dude was repping 30 on the bench at his pro day and running 4.4-4.5 40 yard times. He is going to special if given the chance YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Watch #43 closely. Tennessee Volunteers fans are practically depressed he's gone. True captain, hard hitting, smart, insinctive with great closing speed and coverage skills. He played alot of center field at Tenn. and because of that he was able to show off his closing speed which really leads me to believe he can play FS. He is 6'0 almost 200 pounds so he needs to bulk up a tad but wow the dude was repping 30 on the bench at his pro day and running 4.4-4.5 40 yard times. He is going to special if given the chance YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

From watching his videos he didn't look fast at all(I guess that's why scouts ? His speed), but man he does close .
Running a 4.4 & 31 reps(9 more than any DB ) is impressive.Rodney McCloud had that sneaky closing speed.Insaw he blocked a field goal. He will have to earn his spot on special teams though.