Is any team(s) really willing to trade for Sam Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Evidence please. There is some evidence that says there may be a team or more that is willing to trade for him. Unless you are an NFl insider, not sure you can back up your claims.

According to Jason Cole, there are NFL teams at the top of the 2015 NFL draft order that aren't very interested in either quarterbacks Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston. Full quote here:

"This is really fascinating because there are teams that are sitting at the top of the draft, according to executives that I’ve talked to, who would believe that they would prefer to have Sam Bradford, who’s 27 and coming off basically missing the last year and a half of his career — that they would rather have then take a chance on, say, somebody like Marcus Mariota or Jamies Winston because they have seen what Bradford can do. One caveat to this is: is Bradford healthy or not coming off of two ACL surgeries? But the belief is: take a shot with Bradford and save your first round draft pick and take somebody else."

Two questions. Where is Jason Coles evidence? And where are these teams at that are trying to trade for our 12 million dollar man?

One janitor in a team facility is not a legit source and all it takes is for one affiliate employee to say, "It sure would be nice to get Bradford" and LaClownfora is printing that they want Sam.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are there teams willing to trade for Bradford? Absolutely yes. Teams are going hard after guys like McCown and Cassel. You better bet there are teams out there willing to trade for Bradford. How much would they trade for him? I have no idea. It might only be a Day 3 pick. But if we put Bradford on the block, we'd have takers.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I think its the other way around.
There's no evidence that an NFL team would trade for him. The two rumors were so vehemently denied by all parties that it was clear it was just a stab by a writer.
False. The Rams denied Sam was being shopped, but Jason Cole said what he said based on his sources. He's been and NFL writer for years and is an award-winning member of the PFWA. It wasn't a "stab" by a writer. It was his report. And he's in a position to know, you and I are not.

Key phrase: there are teams that are sitting at the top of the draft, according to executives that I’ve talked to, who would believe that they would prefer to have Sam Bradford

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Two questions. Where is Jason Coles evidence? And where are these teams at that are trying to trade for our 12 million dollar man?

One janitor in a team facility is not a legit source and all it takes is for one affiliate employee to say, "It sure would be nice to get Bradford" and LaClownfora is printing that they want Sam.

Jason Cole's gravitas is his resume. And trying to serve an agenda by saying it's a "janitor" is NOT all it takes. That's plain retarded.

Key phrase: there are teams that are sitting at the top of the draft, according to executives that I’ve talked to, who would believe that they would prefer to have Sam Bradford

Executives. Talked to.

Not some internet poster on a Ram board like you or me.

And the team mentioned, never denied was the Browns.

"Jason Cole reported that the Cleveland Browns will pursue St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford to help alleviate the quarterback crisis that has yet again befallen the team in the wake of Brian Hoyer's"

Here is Cole's bio. He's no internet hack or bush-leager

Bio:

Jason Cole, 48, is an NFL reporter for Yahoo! Sports and has covered the NFL for 18 years and is the author of two books. His first book was Giant with former New York Giants wide receiver and Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress. His second was Ocho Cinco, an irreverent collaboration with Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco.

Prior to working for Yahoo!, the world’s most read internet site and internet sports site, Cole covered the Miami Dolphins for 15 years for both The Miami Herald and the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel. His work has earned numerous awards and honors from arguably the most prestigious group in sports journalism, the Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE). He has also earned numerous awards from the Pro Football Writers of America, earned a Green Eyeshade award and numerous honors from the Florida State Sportswriters Association.

Cole’s work helped push Yahoo!’s sports coverage to a higher level of respect in the ranks of internet journalism. He and Charles Robinson combined for a four-year investigation exposing former USC running back and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush’s receipt of approximately $300,000 in cash and other benefits during his final season in college in direct violation of NCAA rules. Cole and Robinson followed that with an expose that accused USC men’s basketball coach Tim Floyd of providing cash to a man who delivered future NBA star O.J. Mayo to the Trojans program. The story ultimately led to Floyd’s resignation.

As a result of those stories, USC received unprecedented sanctions from the NCAA, including being stripped of the 2004 National Championship in football, a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 scholarships over a three-year period. Cole’s work helped inspire the book Tarnished Heisman, a look at the entire Bush saga by Don Yaeger.

Cole, a 1984 graduate of Stanford University, regularly does guest spots on numerous radio stations around the country to talk about the NFL and his other work. He also teaches a course in sports writing at the University of Florida.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Again where is Jason Coles evidence? These reporters take a notion and report it like it is a story.

Did Cleveland seriously want to trade for Sam? I'm sure they picked up the phone....and then hung it up quickly.

No team wants to pay an injured QB 12 million until they feel comfortable that he can stay healthy, which means Sam has to play a full season to prove it. Otherwise they want him on a Show-me deal, which they won't get. If anyone is getting that kind of deal it will be the Rams, unless they find a better option and release him.

My credentials-Common sense

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
False. The Rams denied Sam was being shopped, but Jason Cole said what he said based on his sources. He's been and NFL writer for years and is an award-winning member of the PFWA. It wasn't a "stab" by a writer. It was his report. And he's in a position to know, you and I are not.

Jason Cole is a hack. He spun a trade rumor that nobody substantiated.
The key phrase you quoted isnt any proof of anything either. That was in reference to if Bradford was a ufa vs drafting a guy.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports "no team" has contacted the Rams about trading for Sam Bradford.
Rapsheet's report comes via "sources informed of situation." Tuesday afternoon's Bradford-to-the-Bills rumor has been thoroughly debunked, and was likely the product of Bradford's camp as he tries to avoid a pay cut in St. Louis. Bradford's $13 million salary, injury history and come-and-go effectiveness conspire to make his trade value almost nonexistent. Feb 24 - 4:56 PM
Source: NFL.com

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Jason Cole is a hack.

Hack?

Please.

Bio:

Jason Cole, 48, is an NFL reporter for Yahoo! Sports and has covered the NFL for 18 years and is the author of two books. His first book was Giant with former New York Giants wide receiver and Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress. His second was Ocho Cinco, an irreverent collaboration with Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco.

Prior to working for Yahoo!, the world’s most read internet site and internet sports site, Cole covered the Miami Dolphins for 15 years for both The Miami Herald and the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel. His work has earned numerous awards and honors from arguably the most prestigious group in sports journalism, the Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE). He has also earned numerous awards from the Pro Football Writers of America, earned a Green Eyeshade award and numerous honors from the Florida State Sportswriters Association.

Cole’s work helped push Yahoo!’s sports coverage to a higher level of respect in the ranks of internet journalism. He and Charles Robinson combined for a four-year investigation exposing former USC running back and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush’s receipt of approximately $300,000 in cash and other benefits during his final season in college in direct violation of NCAA rules. Cole and Robinson followed that with an expose that accused USC men’s basketball coach Tim Floyd of providing cash to a man who delivered future NBA star O.J. Mayo to the Trojans program. The story ultimately led to Floyd’s resignation.

As a result of those stories, USC received unprecedented sanctions from the NCAA, including being stripped of the 2004 National Championship in football, a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 scholarships over a three-year period. Cole’s work helped inspire the book Tarnished Heisman, a look at the entire Bush saga by Don Yaeger.

Cole, a 1984 graduate of Stanford University, regularly does guest spots on numerous radio stations around the country to talk about the NFL and his other work. He also teaches a course in sports writing at the University of Florida.

Maybe it's you and me who are the hacks and Cole simply reported what he heard from NFL executives. Have you talked to a single NFL executive? I have not talked to an NFl executive about trade rumors. I think you are calling him a hack based on his content that is different than your opinion.

Last edited:

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Again where is Jason Coles evidence? These reporters take a notion and report it like it is a story.

Did Cleveland seriously want to trade for Sam? I'm sure they picked up the phone....and then hung it up quickly.

No team wants to pay an injured QB 12 million until they feel comfortable that he can stay healthy, which means Sam has to play a full season to prove it. Otherwise they want him on a Show-me deal, which they won't get. If anyone is getting that kind of deal it will be the Rams, unless they find a better option and release him.

My credentials-Common sense

And you take a notion with no evidence "I'm sure they picked up the phone....and then hung it up quickly."

So, we can take Cole's story, or yours.

Who has more gravitas?

Cole, no dog inthe fight, you: dislike Bradford based on your posts.

Hmmm . .. not a tough call.

We all have our right to an opinion, but if you base your opinion on nothing then others have a right to show you where you err and are letting personal feelings get in the way, thus discounting your "common sense" theory.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it's you and me who are the hacks and Cole simply reported what he heard from NFL executives. Have you talked to a single NFL executive? I have not talked to an NFl executive about trade rumors. I think you are calling him a hack based on his content that is different than your opinion.
No I'm calling him a hack because nobody substantiated his rumor and he was the only one reporting it.
Peter King, Ian Rappaport among others have strongly stated that there hasnt been any trade interest.
Furthermore I consider any reporter a hack who uses "anonymous sources" to report grand stories then avoids the topic after others refute it.
You're the one who asked for proof, and now you got it.
Back on topic, Nobody is trading for that contract, forget the player for a second. And the more these rumors circulate that Sam wont restructure (Which I dont believe either) it makes it more difficult for a team to consider

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...m_campaign=web-mob-art-vid-150?is_shared=true

This was before the signing of McCown . . . Cole said the two QBs they were after were #1 Bradford and #2 McCown, and they signed McCown. Shows his sources gave him good info vis-a-viz McCown.

So, there goes the "hack" theory.
You think Cole was the only one who thought the Browns were looking at McCown? You're missing the forest through the trees here bud.
It doesnt take an insider to see that Cleveland needed a QB being that the only one they had on the roster was in rehab. As soon as Mccown was released, he headed to the top of the list of FA QB (as ugly a list as that is).
The hack job is when Cole decided to connect the dots to Sam, which as others have said, didnt happen

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
You think Cole was the only one who thought the Browns were looking at McCown? You're missing the forest through the trees here bud.
It doesnt take an insider to see that Cleveland needed a QB being that the only one they had on the roster was in rehab. As soon as Mccown was released, he headed to the top of the list of FA QB (as ugly a list as that is).
The hack job is when Cole decided to connect the dots to Sam, which as others have said, didnt happen

Sorry, massive fail.

It does not matter, logically, if others could have had same info. The intelligent point is that Cole made a report. Cole is not a Bradford fan, nor a Bradford hater. He made a report based on talking to sources. And the plan B scenario went as he reported. That means it was a solid report. Cole didn't "connect any dots" Bradford was mentioned by name, as he said in his report.

That, couple with Cole's bio that has tons on experience, refute your false claim that he was a hack.

I sumbit, respecfully, that you called Cole a hack based on the content of his story that conflicted with your world view of Bradford. That is illogical and unfounded and provably so.

Maybe, just maybe, considering Cole's experience and accuracy you should give him the benefit of the doubt. Essentially, you are asking that readers take your opinion over Cole's report, which was based on sources.

Why would anyone do that? You have a bias against Sam, and have had for a long time. Cole, is a professional, and never offered a opinion, he offered only a report of people he talked to. Why would he lie?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Back on topic, Nobody is trading for that contract, forget the player for a second.
Well, unless I'm mistaken, any trade involving that contract would likely be negotiated in principle with player and agent before the final trade was made. I don't think teams are forced to pay the contract amount as is. I'm pretty sure it could be restructured by converting a chunk to a signing bonus and/or guarantees over a couple of years.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like the stadium subject, who knows what's going on behind the scenes between Condon and the Rams.

But, I will say this... it's awfully hard for a Rams fan to not allow their intimate history with Bradford to get in the way of their opinion (be it pro-Bradford or anti-Bradford).

I don't get too caught up in players, per se. I'm more of a franchise fan.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm a Bradford supporter, and I'm not disappointed in Bradford...I'm disappointed at the injury last year in preseason...a real fluke thing when Bradford was looking sharper than he ever has.

My thinking is you don't trade him because it sets you back too far offensively! There is no Andrew Luck in this draft!

What you do is roll with Sam or else you're right back to when Sam was drafted. You can't buy this "can't stay healthy" garbage, because just as a player was oft injured...they can get to where they are reliable.

How many of you remember Isaac Bruce and the string of seasons he couldn't stay healthy???

Stick with Sam...roll the dice!

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Like the stadium subject, who knows what's going on behind the scenes between Condon and the Rams.

But, I will say this... it's awfully hard for a Rams fan to not allow their intimate history with Bradford to get in the way of their opinion (be it pro-Bradford or anti-Bradford).

I don't get too caught up in players, per se. I'm more of a franchise fan.

I am a franchise fan, too. If we did trade Sam, I'd root for the new QB as much as for Sam. I rooted for Tony Banks for gods sake. However, with Sam, I'd root for him to do well elsewhere, too, as long as he wasn't a 49er or Seahawk or Patriot. I've rooted for other ex-Rams, like S-Jax and others after they left.

But if we keep Sam, of course I want a good Plan B, in case of injury. One thing I am always sure about: I cannot predict the future, so I don't know if Sam will be healthy or not. As a fan of the Rams, all I can do is hope. But, with some discipline you can leave out your personal feelings when trying to enjoy the hot stove portion ofthe season . .. trades and FA and draft and look at things as objectively as you can. You can leave out personal feelings when analyzing whether there is trave value for Sam and not knee-jerk say there is or isn't based on "intimate history with Bradford"

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
My crack pipe dealer deals to a janitor, who works for a certain unnamed NFL team.

And my crack dealer said that the janitor said, that he overheard a certain AFC team's ball boy say, he would love for Sam Bradford to grace their opening day, starting lineup!

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
intimate history with Bradford .

Reminds me of an article published on a Rams board a few years ago, which has sort of critical of Sam. Those who agree thought it was "blunt and honest". Those who liked Sam thought it was a farce. What reminded me of it was "intimate history". Whatever you thought of Sam, this particular article was oddly written, more like a Harlequin romance. It weas written by a young guy, new to football, European if memory serves.

So, leave out personal feelings, just enjoy the verbiage. It's good for some laughes.

blogs.thescore.com

Every quarterback dreams of The Drive. It’s a euphoric sequence of throws that encompasses a passer’s career, good or bad, in the span of a few minutes. Most remember it as the unfathomable five-minute, 98-yard drive executed by John Elway in 1987 against the (forever) cursed Cleveland Browns, but it’s not always that historic and mesmerizing for others.

It can be miserable, turning what was supposed to be The Drive into The Debacle. It can also be inconsistent like Sam Bradford’s career has been, and like The Drive against the Buffalo Bills in Week 14 was.

It was the fourth quarter and the Rams were down 12-7. To win, they’d have to travel 84 yards through the chaotic Orchard Park, a stadium filled with rabid Bills fans simultaneously cheering on their beloved team and booing the visiting Rams. With 4:55 on the clock, Bradford took his first steps to making The Drive a reality.

He stood with his right leg forward, his upper half bent at his waist, and his hands cocked down to catch the shotgun snap. Surrounding him were three teammates to his right, a mix of receivers and a tight end, and a lonely receiver to his far left. Offset in the backfield and to his left was running back Steven Jackson, who shifted from Bradford’s right following a hand signal from the quarterback.

At the snap, all of the receivers and tight ends ran short curls or spot routes, and Bradford targeted tight end Matthew Mulligan on the latter at the left hash. The pass fell incomplete following a quick three-step drop and an unimpressive effort by Mulligan to box out the Bills defender, who batted the pass away. Let’s be honest here: Mulligan isn’t your first option as a receiver (or second or third, maybe fourth), but teammates of that quality or lack thereof is all Bradford’s had to work with in his career.

Two runs, three plays and more than two minutes later, Bradford was back at it again on 1st-and-10. Field position doubled from the first play, with the ball now sitting at the 32-yard line, and Bradford was under center. Three receivers and one tight end made up a two-by-two formation, which featured wide receiver Brandon Gibson on the short side of the field. Gibson was set to execute a double move, an in-cut and back out, that would free him of coverage down the sideline and fool the defensive back. As the clock ticked down to the 3:23 mark, Bradford hiked the ball and took a three-step drop, pumping his shoulders and looking left as he did it. The pump forced the cornerback to bite on Gibson’s in-cut and allow Bradford to launch the ball down the left sideline, which he did under a caving pocket.

A disintegrating pocket was the norm for Bradford, who has been taken down repeatedly during his three-year career and has become unsteady in the pocket as a consequence. This time, he hung in tough, throwing the football in bullets of pressure, but the throw was inaccurate. It went wide and forced Gibson to turn his body 360 degrees, which he did multiple times this past season on throws down the sideline.

Second-and-10, Bradford is in shotgun and the Rams are in the three-by-one set that they started the drive with. The snap comes in at Bradford’s chin, and he quickly performs a play fake to Jackson before throwing a seam splitting strike to tight end Lance Kendricks. The play picks up 22 yards and takes me back to a time when I saw Bradford throw with jaw-dropping accuracy at Oklahoma. The ball was placed on in front of Kendricks and outside the middle linebacker, giving only his tight end the chance to make a play on the ball.

A few ticks later, there’s only 2:04 left for Bradford to work with on 2nd-and-10. The offense is stationed on the Bills’ 46-yard line and Bradford is in the shotgun with a two-by-two set. None of the four potential pass catchers would be getting the ball, however; it would go to Jackson, the running back who started to Bradford’s right and is now running the option route against the middle linebacker at midfield. The designed dump-off to Jackson goes for nine yards. It’s a simple but very efficient play that doesn’t ask too much of Bradford, which is when he’s at his best.

The next two plays are Bradford in a nutshell. First, 3rd-and-1 is the down and distance and Bradford is under center. NFL on Fox runs a graphic which tells us that Bradford’s had three game-winning or tying drives in the fourth quarter or overtime during his career. Could this be the fourth? Not on this play. Bradford takes a quick three-step drop and watches the slot receiver run a slant route from his left. He stares him down and then throws the ball too late, dropping it into the bread basket of a Bills safety, who drops the ball too.

Bradford has had issues picking up linebackers and safeties in the middle of the field. It’s like they don’t exist in his mind until he throws an incomplete or intercepted pass, both of which have occurred on multiple occasions in his career, especially in the red zone.

The marker now reads 4th-and-1, and the game is on the line with only 1:53 left. Bradford has to complete this next throw, otherwise the team can pack their bags for this week. He’s under center again and has three receivers to his left, including Austin Pettis in the slot. Pettis motions inside and then back out before releasing off the line of scrimmage and running an angle route. Bradford takes a five-step drop and lets the football go when his back foot hits the ground. It’s traveling behind Pettis, who cranes his neck back to see the ball, catching it with his fingertips. First down.

Next, a two-by-two spread formation is out on the field, and Bradford’s in the shotgun. This is the type of designed setting he operates best in because he had a thorough experience with it at Oklahoma. It’s also what he’ll be using most of next season as the Rams transition to a more up-tempo, spread-like offense that cuts down his thinking time. Less thinking means less mistakes.

In the left slot just inside the numbers is Kendricks, the target for Bradford’s next throw. Kendricks is not the most gifted tight end, as he’s better working underneath than the deep out cut he’s about to run. The play begins and Kendricks runs vertically against the Bills’ bracket (double) coverage. He’s bracketed inside and out, making it difficult for him to run an out cut. The deep Bills safety plays this smartly, however; he lets Kendricks make a break atop the 20-yard line and then cuts to the outside. The patience baits Bradford into throwing a pass that is nearly intercepted. If Bradford wasn’t so set on Kendricks, he could have seen an open receiver running a shallow cross in the middle of the field. Chalk it up as Bradford not thinking on his feet.

At the 1:07 mark, Bradford makes a Roethlisberger-esque play that offers hope for elitism in the near future. He has a three-by-one set, with Gibson the single receiver on the back-side (left) of the play. He’s facing one-on-one coverage, making himself a prime target for Bradford. When the play begins, Bradford takes an elongated three-step drop and reads the middle of the field. No one’s open and the pocket is once again caving — defensive end Mario Williams (who?) speed rushes wide and forces Bradford to move up into more pressure in the pocket. Bodies are all around him and he can’t take a sack here with under a minute left of play. He squeezes up into the left of the pocket and fires a pass over a defender’s extended arms and into the direction of Gibson running a deep comeback route. The throw travels with velocity and accuracy, landing at his right outside arm and away from the defender.

It’s a brilliant play on Bradford’s behalf. The next one isn’t, though.

It lasts four seconds and results in a batted pass at the line of scrimmage. Try again.

Fifty-four seconds are left, and the Rams are on the 13-yard line. They have ample time to move the ball past the pylon even though there’s under a minute left. This is one of football’s greatest paradoxes. Bradford’s in the shotgun with a three-by-one set (of course!) and once again the target is lonely Gibson on the back-side. When the ball is snapped, Gibson stutter steps to confuse the cornerback at the line of scrimmage and then releases inside of him, setting up an eventual deep dig route halfway through the end zone.

Meanwhile, Bradford is in the pocket and has already hit the top of his three-step drop, forcing himself to hitch step into the pocket. As he moves forward and raises his right arm to throw the ball, a Bills defensive tackle throws his arms up to bat the pass away. Not this time. Bradford throws it in between the defender’s arms, over the top of two other defenders in the end zone, and into the hands of a rising Gibson for the game-winning touchdown.

It’s the type of play a top notch quarterback should make under duress: climbing the pocket, surveying his options, reading the defense, and dropping the ball in a tight bucket. This play, along with the two-point conversion — essentially a fade route on a rub concept — is what gives the Rams hope that Bradford can become the face of the franchise like he was drafted to be in 2010.

He clearly has the physical talent to become a top passer, but he has to put it together mentally. His footwork has to improve because he still tends to be inaccurate on simple throws like slant routes, and his ability to read the defense must improve too. He’s still not seeing the traffic in the middle of the field. But drives like the one described above offer hope and high expectations for the future.

Bradford doesn’t have to be Elway to lead more comebacks. But he does have to be serviceable and reliable.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, massive fail.

It does not matter, logically, if others could have had same info. The intelligent point is that Cole made a report. Cole is not a Bradford fan, nor a Bradford hater. He made a report based on talking to sources. And the plan B scenario went as he reported. That means it was a solid report. Cole didn't "connect any dots" Bradford was mentioned by name, as he said in his report.

That, couple with Cole's bio that has tons on experience, refute your false claim that he was a hack.

I sumbit, respecfully, that you called Cole a hack based on the content of his story that conflicted with your world view of Bradford. That is illogical and unfounded and provably so.

Maybe, just maybe, considering Cole's experience and accuracy you should give him the benefit of the doubt. Essentially, you are asking that readers take your opinion over Cole's report, which was based on sources.

Why would anyone do that? You have a bias against Sam, and have had for a long time. Cole, is a professional, and never offered a opinion, he offered only a report of people he talked to. Why would he lie?
Ok, this is going nowhere.
Have a nice day....