Interesting Acl Update...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

I have a woman in my office who's son tore his acl, second time, once on each knee now, and he had his surgery exactly 2 weeks after Sam. Obviously he doesn't have the type of training staff Sam does but still, the kid is a 9th grade football player who, by all accounts, has amazing drive to get back on the field ASAP.

So his mom approaches me yesterday because I update her where Sam is at and we compare notes. She says "hey the doctor told my son he can start running on a tread mill in 2 weeks.."

Right on track.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yikes. Poor kid. Knees are gonna be a mess by 30 if he keeps getting injured. Interesting how recovery processes has improved. One thing I am sure they are using now which my son, a left handed pitcher, had a great reaction to is electro pulse therapy. He injured/hyperextended his throwing elbow before his senior year of high school.
The usual rest, ice (basically useless garbage) was given by the doctor. Weeks went by, then more weeks. He didnt throw for a couple of months, when he tried it would get irritated and very sore. It looked like his senior season was going to be shot. A friend brought up in passing one day his wife (a chiropractor) has a top of the line (about $60,000) electo pulse machine. I bring up the price because it was not one of the cheap ones with the little pads that stick to the skin. We went. His elbow was put into a sleeve and the electro pulse treatment lasted about 15 mintues. After a second treatment a couple of days later he was able to throw and pitch without pain and the issue never came back. From what she said it is fantastic for post surgery recovery as well. Does wonders with inflammation and recovery. I only bring this up because this is something that was not really available in an effective way several years ago. Medicine and physical therapy....ever forward.

iced

Yikes. Poor kid. Knees are gonna be a mess by 30 if he keeps getting injured. Interesting how recovery processes has improved. One thing I am sure they are using now which my son, a left handed pitcher, had a great reaction to is electro pulse therapy. He injured/hyperextended his throwing elbow before his senior year of high school.
The usual rest, ice (basically useless garbage) was given by the doctor. Weeks went by, then more weeks. He didnt throw for a couple of months, when he tried it would get irritated and very sore. It looked like his senior season was going to be shot. A friend brought up in passing one day his wife (a chiropractor) has a top of the line (about $60,000) electo pulse machine. I bring up the price because it was not one of the cheap ones with the little pads that stick to the skin. We went. His elbow was put into a sleeve and the electro pulse treatment lasted about 15 mintues. After a second treatment a couple of days later he was able to throw and pitch without pain and the issue never came back. From what she said it is fantastic for post surgery recovery as well. Does wonders with inflammation and recovery. I only bring this up because this is something that was not really available in an effective way several years ago. Medicine and physical therapy....ever forward.

sounds more like a cortizone treatment through electric pulse machine.. i had this treatment last june for my wrist.

fearsomefour

Legend
sounds more like a cortizone treatment through electric pulse machine.. i had this treatment last june for my wrist.
My son didnt have any medication applied or taken at all. Just electro pulse. That being said he was dealing with irritation and inflammation and was not post surgery. When he would try to throw hard and let it fly he was good for about 10 pitches and had to stop. The results were fantastic. In my opinion a treatment that is non invasive and does not involve taking drugs/pills is worth a shot.

iced

My son didnt have any medication applied or taken at all. Just electro pulse. That being said he was dealing with irritation and inflammation and was not post surgery. When he would try to throw hard and let it fly he was good for about 10 pitches and had to stop. The results were fantastic. In my opinion a treatment that is non invasive and does not involve taking drugs/pills is worth a shot.

The cortizone is injected through the pads/electricity and it used to treat pain as well as inflammation.

Least that's how mine was..

not a fan of cortizone for the long term

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah I was in there with him. The Chiropractor is a personal friend. There was no cortisone or drugs. Using a cortizone cream or something with it could work as well.

iced

Yeah I was in there with him. The Chiropractor is a personal friend. There was no cortisone or drugs. Using a cortizone cream or something with it could work as well.
interesting.. the only other time i had electric therapy was back in '07 after I had open-shoulder surgery... i had use to electricity to stimulate the muscles in my right arm to prevent atrophy, was supposed to be a long recovery

A55VA6

Legend
Yeah man I can't imagine an ACL injury. I played football from pop warner through high school and in my football playing career I pulled my hamstring, sprained my ankle, and broke one of my fingers. I'd take those 3 over an ACL any day.. especially since I got to continue playing with the sprained ankle and broken finger.