IMO, controlling the LOS on both sides of the ball

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Mmmmm, I don't agree. The line was pretty good. Bradford had good numbers and he was nowhere near one of the most sacked as stated.

i agree about him not being sacked a lot but the line still wasnt good.it was mediocre at best.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
UOTE="RamzFanz, post: 298170, member: 765"]Mmmmm, I don't agree. The line was pretty good. Bradford had good numbers and he was nowhere near one of the most sacked as stated.[/QUOTE]

Go Look Up Since The Time He Was Drafted..He Absolutely Has Been.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
1976-1977 Rams
OT-Doug France all pro
OG- Tom Mack HOF
OC- Rich Saul all pro
OG- Dennis Harrah all pro
OT- Jackie Slater HOF

DE-Jack Youngblod HOF
DT- Larry Brooks all pro
DT- Merlin Olsen HOF
DE-Fred Dyer all pro

I wonder what Sam Bradford could do if he had an OL like the one above?

I agree; the reason I want Robinson, is because Matthews will not dominate in the run game. You only need a guy like Matthews in the passing game if you run a lot of 7 step stuff and complicated 5 step drops---which it seems like the Rams don't do that consistently. SO, I would rather have the BEST run blocking lineman in the league. Jake Long is an average pass blocker, and that was good enough in this offense---but Jake Long dominates in the run game, and that is what Fisher did for his entire time in Titan-ville, outside of 2002.

If you watch those 70's Ram teams you will see the Rams never had QB talent for more than one year--- outside of Ferragamo, ...yet they were always in the playoffs. In 1977 they played the Raiders and kicked their A....both lines were dominant; the Raiders had an incredible O line, but couldn't stop the Ram D line. Stabler couldn't do jack. Haden threw a long bomb and they won. Haden was awful in the 10+ games I watched him play...

It is amazing to me that Youngblood and Dryere were light Defensive ends, but their run defense was usually top 5. Youngblood had excellent technique and was very intelligent. Dryer weighed 220 pounds at 6'6" (strong safety size).

The Rams 80's line
LOT-Pankey (very good)
LG- Kent Hill 5 probowls
C Smith 2-3 probowls
RG Dennis Harrah
RT Slater (HOF)

The Rams were 9-11 wins every year with mediocre quarterback play....then Everett came and they had a top 2 offense in 1989. I think Bradford is better than Jim Everett by far...in every way. But, because Everett won 2 playoff games, he is king for us 80's fans. everett became very good in 1989 when
he was his 3rd year in the air coryell offense.

Jake Mattews will be a pro bowler because of excellent technique, but doesn't fit the power run Rams scheme....but, I am ok drafting Greg Robinson and keeping him at guard---because he is a HOFer there....and if he moves to LT in 2015-16, good. The Rams are building quite a team; I won't be surprised with their success. IF the Rams get a road grader guard like Jackson in the 2nd, that will be considered a success for me, if they don't take Robinson.

IF we wren't in the NFC west, I would have to say that Jake Matthews would be ok....but we play 3 teams who are top 6 NFL defenses in our division.

The Chiefs 2003-2007 had two pro bowl guards, and they dominated with the average Trent Green, and mediocre Eddie Kennision.....of course Tony G was great at TE, and Priest Holmes was great, but it was their line that made that offense top 5 every year.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Which means nothing to me. The team is completely rebuilt. The line last season was good. Probably very good. We need a few more pieces.

I don't argue the line was good at times last year. But if you really think a line with it's LT coming off ACL surgery and it's starting RG no longer on the team is in good shape then we just have to agree to disagree. Personally I think you are crazy if you ignore that.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't argue the line was good at times last year. But if you really think a line with it's LT coming off ACL surgery and it's starting RG no longer on the team is in good shape then we just have to agree to disagree. Personally I think you are crazy if you ignore that.
Dahl leaving really doesn't concern me too much since Barksdale supplanted Saffold, then Saffold supplanted Dahl. What we lost ended up being just a backup as far as guard goes.

As well, everything coming from the Rams indicates that Long should be back in Week 1 or very soon thereafter. The Rams though probably have the best info on just when he will return... if he won't be back until after the Bye, I'd be a lot more concerned about it than I am now.

But we do need at least a starting guard. That's an absolute must.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Dahl leaving really doesn't concern me too much since Barksdale supplanted Saffold, then Saffold supplanted Dahl. What we lost ended up being just a backup as far as guard goes.

As well, everything coming from the Rams indicates that Long should be back in Week 1 or very soon thereafter. The Rams though probably have the best info on just when he will return... if he won't be back until after the Bye, I'd be a lot more concerned about it than I am now.

But we do need at least a starting guard. That's an absolute must.

And I do understand Saffold is taking that spot which is probably a nice upgrade. But we all know Saffold hasn't been able to stay on the field either.
And we still need an upgrade at LG, IMO. But more than anything we're "hoping" for a lot this year with guys that are either injury prone or coming off injury.
I just can't say I feel overly great about it. Even though if healthy we do have a good line. But that's a scary if.

RamzFanz

Damnit
And I do understand Saffold is taking that spot which is probably a nice upgrade. But we all know Saffold hasn't been able to stay on the field either.
And we still need an upgrade at LG, IMO. But more than anything we're "hoping" for a lot this year with guys that are either injury prone or coming off injury.
I just can't say I feel overly great about it. Even though if healthy we do have a good line. But that's a scary if.

Yep. We are not set at OL. I just wouldn't spend a prime pick on OL when good ones can be had later. 13? Sure, OK. No way 2.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Yep. We are not set at OL. I just wouldn't spend a prime pick on OL when good ones can be had later. 13? Sure, OK. No way 2.
OK. I can respect that. I take it you aren't that high on Matthews or Robinson? Or just not at 2.

RamzFanz

Damnit
OK. I can respect that. I take it you aren't that high on Matthews or Robinson? Or just not at 2.

I would love to grab either, or by some miracle, both. If the Rams trade down to 6, I'm all for OL if Clowney and Watkins are both gone.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I would love to grab either, or by some miracle, both. If the Rams trade down to 6, I'm all for OL if Clowney and Watkins are both gone.

Would you be (if it somehow happened) good with Watkins then Lewan (which I think we would actually have to trade UP for). But if he slipped to 13 I would be pretty happy with those two picks.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
1976-1977 Rams
OT-Doug France all pro
OG- Tom Mack HOF
OC- Rich Saul all pro
OG- Dennis Harrah all pro
OT- Jackie Slater HOF

DE-Jack Youngblod HOF
DT- Larry Brooks all pro
DT- Merlin Olsen HOF
DE-Fred Dyer all pro

I wonder what Sam Bradford could do if he had an OL like the one above?

Yep, I'd like to see that's for sure.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Would you be (if it somehow happened) good with Watkins then Lewan (which I think we would actually have to trade UP for). But if he slipped to 13 I would be pretty happy with those two picks.
Personally, if it weren't for the allegations against Lewan, I would LOVE Watkins/Lewan... but the allegations are EXTREMELY troubling.