I'm not sure Coach Fisher is the answer because...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The Rams made the right call there. Schotty just made a poor decision. He got cute when it wasn't needed. Should have run a QB sneak or straight power football behind the left side of the OL.
No way. There was way too much time left in the game and a gimme FG to put the Rams up by 7 was the much smarter play. This team, especially the way the game was going, can't afford to just give points away.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at the FA's he has brought in, players he has drafted/not drafted and coordinators he has employed....not a pretty picture IMO. Combine that with a statistically mediocre lifetime NFL record and it is not difficult to understand why many do not have all that much faith in him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way. There was way too much time left in the game and a gimme FG to put the Rams up by 7 was the much smarter play. This team, especially the way the game was going, can't afford to just give points away.

Bull. You play to win. If we had kicked a field goal and Dallas still won, people would have whined that Fisher played it too safe.

The Rams were owning the LOS. They made the right call. I would have made that same call.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
FWIW ,I've been thinking about coaching situations and firings and the whole paradigm, IMO there are two basic situations where :
a) a new coach comes into a team situation where his predecessor didn't leave him any talent to speak of, he gets the talent level up but doesn't do as well as some other maybe luckier guy and in year three the fan base gets impatient the owner does as well he gets fired

b) a coach comes in and takes over a team with a lot of talent that hasn't jelled yet and looks like a genius for a while if he sustains he is if he doesn't the team flounders after a while

If we let Fisher go, IMO we will see coach b), cuz right now we have coach a) if some of us have our way,we've undertaken the most radical of rebuilds I've ever witnessed ,now don't get me wrong ,I'm not satisfied with all the guy has done and Greg Williams twice is grating on my last nerve ,why do you gamble when your up 21-0 ?
I thought we needed to drop into coverage quit blitzing and give the pass rush time to get there,we've got pass rushers let em rush.

BTW it could just be that Harbaugh IS b)

jjab360

Legend
FWIW ,I've been thinking about coaching situations and firings and the whole paradigm, IMO there are two basic situations where :
a) a new coach comes into a team situation where his predecessor didn't leave him any talent to speak of, he gets the talent level up but doesn't do as well as some other maybe luckier guy and in year three the fan base gets impatient the owner does as well he gets fired

b) a coach comes in and takes over a team with a lot of talent that hasn't jelled yet and looks like a genius for a while if he sustains he is if he doesn't the team flounders after a while

If we let Fisher go, IMO we will see coach b), cuz right now we have coach a) if some of us have our way,we've undertaken the most radical of rebuilds I've ever witnessed ,now don't get me wrong ,I'm not satisfied with all the guy has done and Greg Williams twice is grating on my last nerve ,why do you gamble when your up 21-0 ?
I thought we needed to drop into coverage quit blitzing and give the pass rush time to get there,we've got pass rushers let em rush.

BTW it could just be that Harbaugh IS b)
I agree for the most part, but if Fisher really is intent on sticking to his guns and playing Hill over Davis, maybe we could use a coach b right around now.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Everyone talks about Fisher's winning percentage, but if you actually go look at the stats most of the long term coaches WP% hover around .440-.660%.

Parcells, Shanahan, Knox, Landry, Holmgren, Vermeil, Stram, Reid for example. Bill Walsh was only .609, surprised me.

Lombardi, Madden, and Allen are the only ones with wins over 50 who break 70% from what I've seen.

I did no in-depth research or anything, but I saw enough to realize that if you coach long enough you lose games. I also saw enough to come to the conclusion that hiring another coach would be a short term fix at best. Identifying a good rookie head coach is as hit and miss as finding a franchise QB. I say only fire him if we haven't broken 8-8 by end of contract.

To me it seems that we have conflicting coordinators. Martz and Williams would be a better fit than Schotty and Williams. It's a conflicting philosophy to me, conservative ball control matched with risk-taking defense. You have to have offensive power to make the Williams risk/reward defense shine. The old Tampa 2 style mentality seems to be a better fit for us, at least while we are built like this on offense. That's not a put down on any style of play or any coach, just some idle musings.

imo Fisher was the perfect coach to take over a poor team and make them mediocre, I'm not sure he's capable of making us better than that. To quote Laurinaitis "There are absolutely no excuses. We need to be a Top 5 defensive team."

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The writing could be on the wall.

I guess not knowing what Stan thinks makes things tricky, but a poor showing this year leaves the team with an opening at QB, a top pick and plenty of good pieces in place. If Stan wants a new coach, STL becomes a very desirable location.

I like Fish, and I don't put yesterday's loss on him whatsoever. The trend of undisciplined football is alarming after 3 years though.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Everyone talks about Fisher's winning percentage, but if you actually go look at the stats most of the long term coaches WP% hover around .440-.660%.

Parcells, Shanahan, Knox, Landry, Holmgren, Vermeil, Stram, Reid for example. Bill Walsh was only .609, surprised me.

Lombardi, Madden, and Allen are the only ones with wins over 50 who break 70% from what I've seen.

I did no in-depth research or anything, but I saw enough to realize that if you coach long enough you lose games. I also saw enough to come to the conclusion that hiring another coach would be a short term fix at best. Identifying a good rookie head coach is as hit and miss as finding a franchise QB. I say only fire him if we haven't broken 8-8 by end of contract.

To me it seems that we have conflicting coordinators. Martz and Williams would be a better fit than Schotty and Williams. It's a conflicting philosophy to me, conservative ball control matched with risk-taking defense. You have to have offensive power to make the Williams risk/reward defense shine. The old Tampa 2 style mentality seems to be a better fit for us, at least while we are built like this on offense. That's not a put down on any style of play or any coach, just some idle musings.
IF we were to fire Fisher ,we wouldn't hire a rookie ,just wouldn't Kroenke wants a veteran coach he can give the reins to and not have to wonder if he's up to the job, Fisher has proven he can win in this league and can take a team to the Super Bowl, SK pursued him ,his commitment to that decision is IMO pretty deep so I think Jeff gets 4 years minimum.
As far as the Davis Hill ( I know you didn't mention that just sayin') Hill won the job in training camp the coaches know what he can do better than any of us and I won't get on the Davis band wagon until Fish does although IF he decided to keep playing Davis I wouldn't question that decision either ,when our defense holds other teams under 20 we can win with Davis I think that would be just as true with Hill ,but ya know OWNERS who tell a coach who to play get excoriated, fans who do the same ,well not to be offensive but for me the more skin ya got in the game ,the more you take your actions in measured ways .
Unfortunately the current coaches are consistently considered to be a continuation of the past when they've won in their first two years twice as many games on average s the previous two coaches combined.
JMO people know logically that a great deal of the optimism for this season was wrapped around Sam Bradford returning we're competitive with our third string QB that has to count for more than people are willing to allow. at least in my opinion,I've adjusted my expectations.

JMO people know logically that a great deal of the optimism for this season was wrapped around Sam Bradford returning we're competitive with our third string QB that has to count for more than people are willing to allow. at least in my opinion,I've adjusted my expectations.

If we were struggling because of Davis then I'd be less bothered, but Davis is putting us in winning positions, I don't see any reason we should expect the D to be as bad as it is because Sam is injured, unless we've put him in charge of calling plays on D to give him something to do.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

What people also forget (or should I say, don't actually know because all they've looked at is the stats) is that Jeff Fisher had to lead the Titans through multiple rebuilds because the front-office was very bad at managing the cap. Twice they had to strip the team down of valuable veterans because they couldn't manage their cap space correctly.

Throw in Bud Adams forced selection of Vince Young and I think it's safe to say that Fisher's .500ish record is pretty irrelevant.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
If we were struggling because of Davis then I'd be less bothered, but Davis is putting us in winning positions, I don't see any reason we should expect the D to be as bad as it is because Sam is injured, unless we've put him in charge of calling plays on D to give him something to do.
Good point and if the d was playing up to snuff we'd be 2-1, but I do think Sam would have hung 40 on that defense yesterday,probably 30 on Tampa and we might have beaten Minn. as good as Davis has been sometimes I think "how much better could Sam have been" then I wake up and say "a lot".
I think yesterday was a great lesson for a young team ,I hope they learned as a whole to never think you've won until you have.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
What people also forget (or should I say, don't actually know because all they've looked at is the stats) is that Jeff Fisher had to lead the Titans two multiple rebuilds because the front-office was very bad at managing the cap. Twice they had to strip the team down of valuable veterans because they couldn't manage their cap space correctly.

Throw in Bud Adams forced selection of Vince Young and I think it's safe to say that Fisher's .500ish record is pretty irrelevant.

Don't forget the relocation.

Good point and if the d was playing up to snuff we'd be 2-1, but I do think Sam would have hung 40 on that defense yesterday,probably 30 on Tampa and we might have beaten Minn. as good as Davis has been sometimes I think "how much better could Sam have been" then I wake up and say "a lot".
I think yesterday was a great lesson for a young team ,I hope they learned as a whole to never think you've won until you have.

If that's got to be the expectation, for Sam to score 40 points for us to get a win, then that removes all doubt for me Fisher isn't the right coach.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If that's got to be the expectation, for Sam to score 40 points for us to get a win, then that removes all doubt for me Fisher isn't the right coach.

Who is this Sam you speak of?

To me, it means more the Williams era is over than the HC.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Who decided to change his DC every year?

You're kidding yourself if you don't think he would've much rather had Gregg Williams from the beginning, but he didn't have that option.

Do you think we should've stuck with Blake Williams?

Do you think we should've stuck with Tim Walton?

If not I'm not sure why the above statement is an issue.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think he would've much rather had Gregg Williams from the beginning, but he didn't have that option.

Do you think we should've stuck with Blake Williams?

Do you think we should've stuck with Tim Walton?

If not I'm not sure why the above statement is an issue.

Sure he'd rather have Williams from the start, but that wasn't an option, he could have appointed someone at the start of 2012, we're entering the third year of that system. He could have appointed someone at the start of 2013, and we're entering the second year of that system. Instead he's put our players through the 3rd systems in 3 years, because he wanted his mate Gregg.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
First of all, welcome to ROD. Hope you enjoy it here.

I would say that penalties are absolutely due to a lack of discipline. The fundamentals of blocking, tackling, and avoiding dumb penalties are taught from Pop Warner football and up and then reinforced at the high school, college, and pro levels. Getting beat is one thing but getting beat through sloppy play falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff. I would love to be a fly on the wall during the upcoming Gregg Williams meetings with his players.

I totally agree with your first sentence - sort of. Two of the eight in this game were flagrantly bogus. PI was inexperience. The other 5 totaled roughly 40 yards. Just disagree with sloppy play, (in the Cowboys game).

(Not at you PT). Quit with the 3 years comments. Fisher's been here two, and needs(ed) 4 given the state of the team, (so-called), when he arrived. A rookie QB in his first start throws a pick six. IIRC, so did Romo. Jenkins flat blew a coverage, but had a pick six himself. Cook makes a drop he'll catch the next 99 out of 100 times. Just one of those days.

And, BTW, the media annointed our Dline. It's not "Great" yet. We have Quinn, "emerging" all pro, Donald - rookie, Langford and Hayes - good journeymen, Sims - good, Westbrooks - we'll see, and Long (miss him yet?). LBs are young/above average, and the secondary is above average/inexperienced. Why are we all so shocked?