I'm glad Bradford went down...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

reggae

...when he did.

If he had to go down, this was the best time for everyone.

BRADFORD:

Gets time to heal and possibly start somewhere or at least get a shot to compete for a QB spot next season. If it had happened much later he would probably be screwed for 2015.

RAMS:

They can move him to a play-for-pay contract and keep him in their back pocket or cut him and save some serious dough that they desperately need. They are forced to move on in the next free agency and/or draft. It's better to know he's not the guy then hope he is.

They have built the trenches and skill players and that is the BEST time to insert the QB of the future be it vet or rookie aka Seahawks.

They have built a team that can win without a star QB. Maybe even win a lot.

FANS:

I was on pins and needles when he was in the game. I hated being worried every down that our season was one hit from being lost again. Every time you feel like things are turning around, he goes down. Now that he's gone, I don't see it as a season killer. I've faced Rams without Bradford as a reality, and it's not the doom and gloom I thought I would feel.

I'm a HUGE Bradford fan when it comes to talent. But reality is what it is.
How do you figure he moves to a play for pay contract. Nothing has changed. Options are they pay him for this season. Then extend him (not likely). Or come to an injury settlement and negotiate an extension (again, not likely). Put him on IR and wait for next season (most likely and most probable). Or they offer an injury settlement with his outright release (not bloody likely). Pick 1.these are the only available options.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do you figure he moves to a play for pay contract. Nothing has changed. Options are they pay him for this season. Then extend him (not likely). Or come to an injury settlement and negotiate an extension (again, not likely). Put him on IR and wait for next season (most likely and most probable). Or they offer an injury settlement with his outright release (not bloody likely). Pick 1.these are the only available options.

You tell him he needs to renegotiate if he wants to stay a Ram or you cut him.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
And aren't you scared for Long now too?
Yup Absolutely. I think Long is toast too. Its just a matter of time. The guy was falling down all over last year even when no one was around. I hope I am wrong but I would not bet on it.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
...when he did.

If he had to go down, this was the best time for everyone.

BRADFORD:

Gets time to heal and possibly start somewhere or at least get a shot to compete for a QB spot next season. If it had happened much later he would probably be screwed for 2015.

RAMS:

They can move him to a play-for-pay contract and keep him in their back pocket or cut him and save some serious dough that they desperately need. They are forced to move on in the next free agency and/or draft. It's better to know he's not the guy then hope he is.

They have built the trenches and skill players and that is the BEST time to insert the QB of the future be it vet or rookie aka Seahawks.

They have built a team that can win without a star QB. Maybe even win a lot.

FANS:

I was on pins and needles when he was in the game. I hated being worried every down that our season was one hit from being lost again. Every time you feel like things are turning around, he goes down. Now that he's gone, I don't see it as a season killer. I've faced Rams without Bradford as a reality, and it's not the doom and gloom I thought I would feel.

I'm a HUGE Bradford fan when it comes to talent. But reality is what it is.
Great post. I agree on so much of it. Looking at the offensive scheme it seems that Bradford was being under utilized. After the initial shocked I thought about it. I think Shaun Hill will do very well as long as he keeps the int's a bit low. And the biggest reason is the receivers are actually catching the ball now. For the first time.. Britt, Quick, Bailey, Cook, Kendricks, Bayer (yes Bayer the guy is going to be a stud TE this year) and Austin are all catching and playing well. Except for Britt and Quick they are not just playing well they are kicking some but. They are feeding off each other and starting to dominate more each game. It looks like they are each others biggest fans. Did you see Quick run over a get all excited when Britt made that great catch. I think these two have a secret goal of being the most dominate pair of receivers this year. And I think they just might do it. Don't even get me started on the defense, Donald is being double teamed constantly and when he is not he is ripping through the line. Westbrooks is looking like Long better take notice, I am really impressed with him. McDonald wooh, did you see him tackle that one guy and body slam him into the turf? This guy is just getting started. Joyner, Gains, Mo, Reid are all playing well, and remember Mr. Williams is just getting warmed up with this talented group. I was bummed Sunday but I'm excited now. I no longer have to worry about when Bradford is going to get hurt again. Now we can settle down and show everyone what a TEAM is, just what what Fisher said. The teams playing us this year better not take the Rams lightly or they will be in for a very rude awakening.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Great post. I agree on so much of it. Looking at the offensive scheme it seems that Bradford was being under utilized. After the initial shocked I thought about it. I think Shaun Hill will do very well as long as he keeps the int's a bit low. And the biggest reason is the receivers are actually catching the ball now. For the first time.. Britt, Quick, Bailey, Cook, Kendricks, Bayer (yes Bayer the guy is going to be a stud TE this year) and Austin are all catching and playing well. Except for Britt and Quick they are not just playing well they are kicking some but. They are feeding off each other and starting to dominate more each game. It looks like they are each others biggest fans. Did you see Quick run over a get all excited when Britt made that great catch. I think these two have a secret goal of being the most dominate pair of receivers this year. And I think they just might do it. Don't even get me started on the defense, Donald is being double teamed constantly and when he is not he is ripping through the line. Westbrooks is looking like Long better take notice, I am really impressed with him. McDonald wooh, did you see him tackle that one guy and body slam him into the turf? This guy is just getting started. Joyner, Gains, Mo, Reid are all playing well, and remember Mr. Williams is just getting warmed up with this talented group. I was bummed Sunday but I'm excited now. I no longer have to worry about when Bradford is going to get hurt again. Now we can settle down and show everyone what a TEAM is, just what what Fisher said. The teams playing us this year better not take the Rams lightly or they will be in for a very rude awakening.

Yep. I'm more and more convinced they turned the ship last season knowing full well they might face this eventuality and that building around SB was no longer their best option.

Season 3 coming. Everyone expects a winning season. You've been drafting with a single purpose. The key to your team keeps going down. What do you do? They had to discuss this.

A lot of the decisions they made didn't square with what most of us expected and I think that's why. We bought the "building around Bradford" story line but they didn't.

Remember all the howling "why would they take a O lineman that can't pass protect"? That's why.

Donald at 13? I believed it was just that he fell and he was best player available, but now I think they were building an even more smash mouth defense to keep the scores low AND he fell.

A running back in the third round when we need O linemen and secondary? Who saw that coming? Not me.

They dropped KC and upgraded. I wonder who else they looked at and tried for.

If they're wrong, so what, then they have a smash mouth team with an excellent QB.

They will still be fielding one hell of a team and a team that Sam Hill, or any other decent QB, can win with.

RamzFanz

Damnit
there is nothing to renogotiate. He's still under his rookie contract. I outlined the options. pick 1.

LOL. Dude, they can absolutely cut him. If they do, they save 10 million. Please show me why they can't cut him.

They say, hey Sam, we want to keep you. We'll pay you X million on IR and give you a fat play-to-pay contract for 2015 forward.

OR

You can try to find a team that will pay you more. Best of luck, no hard feelings.

reggae

You tell him he needs to renegotiate if he wants to stay a Ram or you cut him.
you seem to have this idea in your mind that renotiate is a magical word that means paycut. In reality it means extension at a reduced annual rate. So, what you are saying is take his 1 year deal and make it a 2 year deal. Or, cut him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
you seem to have this idea in your mind that renotiate is a magical word that means paycut. In reality it means extension at a reduced annual rate. So, what you are saying is take his 1 year deal and make it a 2 year deal. Or, cut him.

If I'm wrong, as CoachO will point out I often am :), then cut him. You sure can't pay him. o_O

reggae

If I'm wrong, as CoachO will point out I often am :), then cut him. You sure can't pay him. o_O
Actually, you idea has merit. It's basically what they did with Wells. Next year Bradford is due what? $15M approx.I know it was a front loaded contract. So, you take that and make it a 2 year deal worth $15M. with incentives that take it to $20M. You only guarantee his roster bonus for next year. Approx. $4M. Not exact science. but, this is what renegotiation is about.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Actually, you idea has merit. It's basically what they did with Wells. Next year Bradford is due what? $15M approx.I know it was a front loaded contract. So, you take that and make it a 2 year deal worth $15M. with incentives that take it to $20M. You only guarantee his roster bonus for next year. Approx. $4M. Not exact science. but, this is what renegotiation is about.

Fill me in more. What does he get paid for sitting on the bench this season?

RamzFanz

Damnit
So, far it is unsettled. Likely he goes straight to IR and gets his full salary.

Yeah, I sure wouldn't do that. No way. Time for Bradford to pony up or move on. I want him on the team, but it's time to stop paying for what we aren't getting whatever the reasons.

reggae

Yeah, I sure wouldn't do that. No way. Time for Bradford to pony up or move on. I want him on the team, but it's time to stop paying for what we aren't getting whatever the reasons.
I still don't get what you mean by pony up. You can negotiate an injury settlement and release him. He has to agree to it. You can as you suggest renegotiate. Which means more years. Again he has to agree to it.You can honor his existing contact and see what happens next year.Or, you can buy out his contract at full value. Relinquishing all rights to his services. Pick 1.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I still don't get what you mean by pony up. You can negotiate an injury settlement and release him. He has to agree to it. You can as you suggest renegotiate. Which means more years. Again he has to agree to it.You can honor his existing contact and see what happens next year.Or, you can buy out his contract at full value. Relinquishing all rights to his services. Pick 1.

You can renegotiate ANY contract if both parties agree.

Bradford may never play or get a starting spot and good contract again if he pushes the Rams to pay him. Who would want that nightmare on their team?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sure you can. But there are also contract stipulations. Many of which we're not aware of. I'm not sure why you're hung up on his giving money back either. I mean, would you? Chances are this is his last year on the job. Wouldn't you want some severance? Whatever happens, I'm sure Bradford is going to be fair about it - as is Kevin Demoff. It's really up to to three people (Demoff, Condon and Dogra) as to how this turns out. I don't think we should worry much about it. We have a very fair Organization with a terrific cap manager, so we should probably just let it play out.

reggae

Bradford may never play or get a starting spot again if he pushes the Rams to pay him. Who would want that nightmare on their team?
well, that is the key isn't it? But, what is his incentive? And renegotiate never means paycut. Not in the NFL anyway.It means a different vehicle that payment is made.It might also mean that you will never see the money you renegotiated into. ie Scott Wells. Don't worry though. Bradford will be paid.