IF we get Long...does this mean Saffold would be traded?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I cannot see with Safford's salary being kept here. If he can be had for some picks or a 2nd rounder, we could easily get a RT in the draft for pennies cheaper. I think they like Barksdale and Richardson for depth.

What do you all think?

fastcat

Pro Bowler
No, Saffold isnt making alot plus he was originally drafted to play RT.... Remember Jason Smith was suppose to be the LT. Saffold outplayed him and won that spot.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
And I believe he's only got one year left on his deal? That would make him a FA after this season. If he doesn't want to sign for RT money, then he might end up walking.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
He would move to RT which would be great for him and the team.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Why would you not bring him back as RT? He's only under contract for 2013 and then is a free agent. Plus trading him would just make a hole at RT. He's making $880,000 (not even $1M)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Keep him for this year and see what happens. Any starting quality RT they sign will cost more that he does.
The only thing that could change would be that a stud T would fall to them in the draft that they just can't pass up for long term reasons. Then he could move to G or just move on.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No way. In this day and age, you need quality right tackles just as much as quality left tackles. Saffold would be a fantastic bookend to Long (if we sign him), and I'd even go so far as to resign him for the next few years afterward. He really is one of the best pass-blocking tackles in the game today, and you just can't replace that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt it unless we get a great offer.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ljramsfan said:
I cannot see with Safford's salary being kept here. If he can be had for some picks or a 2nd rounder, we could easily get a RT in the draft for pennies cheaper. I think they like Barksdale and Richardson for depth.

What do you all think?
If we do land our new OLT in Jake Long then meet the Rams new OLG in Rodger Saffold he will not move to the right side.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.newerascouting.com/2010/03/22/rodger-saffold-scouting-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.newerascouting.com/2010/03/2 ... ng-report/</a>

Rodger Safflold

6’5, 318 pounds | Offensive tackle | Indiana

Awareness-Good awareness, however, Ive seen him whiff on a couple blocks. Usually doesn’t have a problem recognizing his assignment and executing it.

Strength-Really lacks the strength to be effective against bull rushers. Is at his best finessing the opposing linemen. He did 27 reps at the combine which isn’t stellar. Should improve his strength with a professional strength and conditioning coach.

Reliability- Solid in this department. Played 41 games as a 4 year starter at IU. He was put in with 6 games left in his freshman year and hasn’t looked back since. Shouldn’t have a problem staying healthy in the NFL.

Technique-You really notice his knees bending when you watch him. Has a good punch and burst off the ball. He went up against several of the best pass rushers in the big 10 and did very well against most. His technique could use a little refining as any ones and he shouldn’t have a problem with this, he is very coach-able according to the IU staff.

Versatility-Very versatile, could play either LG or LT. Has all the qualities of a solid Lt but most think he projects better at LG. Even though he hasn’t played much LG, most scouts feel he would even be better at LG. Still, I see him as a LT.

Quickness-Really displayed good quickness at the Senior Bowl, absolutely shut down Greg Hardy and Rahim Alem at the Senior Bowl. Displayed great ability to seal the edge and knock the DEs off their first step. Displayed all the ability that zone blocking schemed teams look for.

Pass Blocking-Above Average pass blocker. He isn’t elite but he definitely holds his own. Gets back in his stance fast and shuffles his feet quickly. Really, His quick feet make him a very promising pass blocker in a zone blocking scheme. He could seal off the edge against some of the best pass rushers in the Big 10. However, He isn’t an NFL ready pass blocker and seems to do better with help.

Run Blocking- Really Good, Really struggles with bull rushing DL, but this could be due to his lack of strength. One thing I noticed is his ability to get to the second level which is promising. He just gets tangled up at the line with bigger stronger DL. However, his ability to get to the second level shows he could be a solid run blocker when he adds strength. He displayed very good run blocking in the Senior Bowl.

Integrity- According to every IU fans I talked to, this guy is just balls to the wall on every play. One reason his coaches played him so early was his leadership by example. Again, that’s from IU fans so take it for what its worth. Ive searched for character concerns and I couldn’t find any. From what they say, I didn’t expect it. He sounds like a 100% guy which is under valued by fans but not coaches.

Overview-After his impressive performance at the combine and Senior Bowl, Id say he will probably go in the 2nd. He might slip to the 3rd but I doubt it. I really think man-blocking teams will stay far away from him. However, Zone blocking teams will drool over this guy in the 2nd round and I would even bet the first one in the 2nd round takes him.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Saffold will go to RT and have his best season yet. I seriously think that.

EDIT: The post above me is interesting. LG? hmm. By the description, he sound sliek he wpuld be a great LG.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
BonifayRam said:
ljramsfan said:

What do you all think?
If we do land our new OLT in Jake Long then meet the Rams new OLG in Rodger Saffold he will not move to the right side.

Why waste Saffold's pass-blocking skills at left guard when you'll have players like Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Bruce Irvin, Ahmad Brooks, Anthony Spencer, and Charles Johnson lining up against the right tackle in this season's schedule alone? He's more valuable as a tackle than as a guard, especially when we have guys like Watkins, Washington, Smith, and Barnes who all play on the interior. The only players we have who can play at the offensive tackle position right now is Saffold, Richardson (who will likely not be back), Barksdale (also a free agent who may not be back), and Nsekhe (who was on the practice squad almost the entire year).

bluecoconuts

Legend
Just put him at RT, the way the NFL is now, it's needed to have two great tackles. If we can have two good tackles, with a little luck from the I bug, we'll have a good line to protect Sam.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
GcBean said:
+1
Flipping over to RT would be the best case scenario for Saffold at this point in his young career IMO.
It would alleviate some pressure on him,and allow him to gain his confidence back. He could be a dominant guy on the right side.

A55VA6

Legend
mojorizen7 said:
GcBean said:
+1
Flipping over to RT would be the best case scenario for Saffold at this point in his young career IMO.
It would alleviate some pressure on him,and allow him to gain his confidence back. He could be a dominant guy on the right side.
I definitely agree. I feel like he can really dominate on the right side. But is he comfortable playing RT?

jap

Legend
A55VA6 said:
mojorizen7 said:
GcBean said:
+1
I definitely agree. I feel like he can really dominate on the right side. But is he comfortable playing RT?

He was drafted as a RT. Because Jason Smith sucked as a tackle, Saffold was switched to the left side.

nighttrain

Legend
ljramsfan said:

What do you all think?

from
Nick Wagoner
Senior Writer
St Louis Rams
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Free-Agent-Preview-Offensive-Line/e217f30f-e48c-4e50-8cad-f275b6aa5b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... 75b6aa5b48</a>

At 27, though, many in the league think a change of scenery and a clean bill of health would return Long to elite status. He won’t come cheap but could be an option for the Rams, who would likely shift Saffold to the right side if Long was added.

train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Memento said:
Why waste Saffold's pass-blocking skills at left guard when you'll have players like Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Bruce Irvin, Ahmad Brooks, Anthony Spencer, and Charles Johnson lining up against the right tackle in this season's schedule alone? He's more valuable as a tackle than as a guard, especially when we have guys like Watkins, Washington, Smith, and Barnes who all play on the interior. The only players we have who can play at the offensive tackle position right now is Saffold, Richardson (who will likely not be back), Barksdale (also a free agent who may not be back), and Nsekhe (who was on the practice squad almost the entire year).

I know that I am the only person saying this and the world has Saffold moving to the right OT post ....I will say this....how often did we see the stunts of the RDE & RDT where the DE would crash though the interior of the left side of the line to kill Sam Bradford? When saw it over and over again with great success particularly shown by Fox Sports where the 9ers Smith brothers Sheldon & Justin beat our left side silly. The pass protection in the modern NFL has to come from the OG's as much as the OT's. Rams OLG's Ojinnaka, Smith & Turner failed on these stunts many times last year and that is why Ojinnaka & Turner are no longer in a Ram uni. When our opponents RDE's were being controlled by Hunter & Saffold they went inside where pass our weak link was at great damage was done and Sam as we all know had no pocket to step up into!

I see Saffold as being a great top tier OLG whereas he has never played RIGHT OT. He has never played anywhere else but on the left side. When the Rams drafted him he went left everyone believe that it was because of Jason Smith's actions ...I throw this out it may have been Saffolds actions @ ORT early that landed him @ OLT. Some of our best runs came from Saffold run blocking on that left side. I sure do not see Saffold pass blocking skills being wasted playing OLG. Building the pocket for our pocket passer is a mandate and Saffold's move a few feet right to OLG will stabilize the left side if Jake long is contracted.

Now if you will please allow me to address the Right side situation. If your OL looks like this below:

OLT- Jake Long 6-7 320-27-5/R.Saffold/Ty.Nsekhe
OLG- Rodger Saffold 6-5 315-26-4/S.Smith/B.Washington/R.Watkins
OC- Scott Wells 6-2 300-32-10/ Barnes/S.Smith
ORG-Harvey Dahl 6-5 308-32-8/R.Watkins/S.Smith
ORT- VACANCY/ J.Barksdale/ R.Watkins/H.Dahl

Thats a real good veteran OL above....I do not see but one issue & thats at ORT. You have a swing OT who can back up the OLT in Saffold plus you have Barksdale under contract who also started two games @ OLT & played OLT in College too. You have have a back up @ OLG that started 6 games for us last yr in case Saffold is injured again. You have a healthy trimmed down in great condition Rok Watkins returning looking for a post to start in??Then you have only one Ram OL position to address in the draft.

Snead & Fisher must have studied the Saffold issue & the 2013 OLT draft situation and came up that the best plan of action was to go get a pro bowl OLT and pay for it! Meaning that Saffold would not figure into Fisher plans @ LEFT OT. They know that the chances of the three best OT in this draft will be long gone when they are up @ #16. Lane Johnson could fall to them but its very doubtful but if he does then that's our new ORT. But Snead & Fisher know the next two highest talented OT after Lane Johnson are DJ Fluker & Menelik Watson, both are RIGHT OT's & both should be there @ #22. Thus leaving #16 to get the impact player they want! Smart to me.

One more thing here & I will throw this out for you to chew on.....last yr Rok Watkins was drafted we all said there's the Rams new OLG due to the fact we had a big vacancy there. Factual history on Rok ....First lets get this out ....HC Jeff Fisher said Rok Watkins can play RIGHT OT when we drafted him. Rok had 27 starts in college only 9 starts came on the left side the rest were on the right. Rok started in four different OL posts in college. Rok's best play came when he was on the right not left. Rok senior year he won the starting position playing offensive RIGHT OT. Rok had five outstanding games @ ORT until an injury took out the starting OLT. Guess you know who had to move to OLT to secure it down...Rok then started there for the rest of the season. I not suggesting anything just providing some facts here.

Lastly everyone has us drafting a OLG. I thinking that the top rated player in the draft who is Chance Warmack will be long gone when #16 selection is to be made so would Snead. Jon Cooper is not a Fisher type man up OL'er! Rams have four OG's on our roster under contract now. Its the OT's thats the issue not the OG's. The next best OG is Larry Warfold he is a right OG but is a very late first rder or very early 2nd rder that stands to be gone when we pick @#46 then comes Kyle Long he is a OLG & ORT prospect who may be in the cards for this Ram team if I am reading the cards right.

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam said:
Memento said:

I know that I am the only person saying this and the world has Saffold moving to the right OT post ....I will say this....how often did we see the stunts of the RDE & RDT where the DE would crash though the interior of the left side of the line to kill Sam Bradford? When saw it over and over again with great success particularly shown by Fox Sports where the 9ers Smith brothers Sheldon & Justin beat our left side silly. The pass protection in the modern NFL has to come from the OG's as much as the OT's. Rams OLG's Ojinnaka, Smith & Turner failed on these stunts many times last year and that is why Ojinnaka & Turner are no longer in a Ram uni. When our opponents RDE's were being controlled by Hunter & Saffold they went inside where pass our weak link was at great damage was done and Sam as we all know had no pocket to step up into!

I see Saffold as being a great top tier OLG whereas he has never played RIGHT OT. He has never played anywhere else but on the left side. When the Rams drafted him he went left everyone believe that it was because of Jason Smith's actions ...I throw this out it may have been Saffolds actions @ ORT early that landed him @ OLT. Some of our best runs came from Saffold run blocking on that left side. I sure do not see Saffold pass blocking skills being wasted playing OLG. Building the pocket for our pocket passer is a mandate and Saffold's move a few feet right to OLG will stabilize the left side if Jake long is contracted.

Now if you will please allow me to address the Right side situation. If your OL looks like this below:

OLT- Jake Long 6-7 320-27-5/R.Saffold/Ty.Nsekhe
OLG- Rodger Saffold 6-5 315-26-4/S.Smith/B.Washington/R.Watkins
OC- Scott Wells 6-2 300-32-10/ Barnes/S.Smith
ORG-Harvey Dahl 6-5 308-32-8/R.Watkins/S.Smith
ORT- VACANCY/ J.Barksdale/ R.Watkins/H.Dahl

Thats a real good veteran OL above....I do not see but one issue & thats at ORT. You have a swing OT who can back up the OLT in Saffold plus you have Barksdale under contract who also started two games @ OLT & played OLT in College too. You have have a back up @ OLG that started 6 games for us last yr in case Saffold is injured again. You have a healthy trimmed down in great condition Rok Watkins returning looking for a post to start in??Then you have only one Ram OL position to address in the draft.

Snead & Fisher must have studied the Saffold issue & the 2013 OLT draft situation and came up that the best plan of action was to go get a pro bowl OLT and pay for it! Meaning that Saffold would not figure into Fisher plans @ LEFT OT. They know that the chances of the three best OT in this draft will be long gone when they are up @ #16. Lane Johnson could fall to them but its very doubtful but if he does then that's our new ORT. But Snead & Fisher know the next two highest talented OT after Lane Johnson are DJ Fluker & Menelik Watson, both are RIGHT OT's & both should be there @ #22. Thus leaving #16 to get the impact player they want! Smart to me.

One more thing here & I will throw this out for you to chew on.....last yr Rok Watkins was drafted we all said there's the Rams new OLG due to the fact we had a big vacancy there. Factual history on Rok ....First lets get this out ....HC Jeff Fisher said Rok Watkins can play RIGHT OT when we drafted him. Rok had 27 starts in college only 9 starts came on the left side the rest were on the right. Rok started in four different OL posts in college. Rok's best play came when he was on the right not left. Rok senior year he won the starting position playing offensive RIGHT OT. Rok had five outstanding games @ ORT until an injury took out the starting OLT. Guess you know who had to move to OLT to secure it down...Rok then started there for the rest of the season. I not suggesting anything just providing some facts here.

Lastly everyone has us drafting a OLG. I thinking that the top rated player in the draft who is Chance Warmack will be long gone when #16 selection is to be made so would Snead. Jon Cooper is not a Fisher type man up OL'er! Rams have four OG's on our roster under contract now. Its the OT's thats the issue not the OG's.
Saffold was drafted as a Right Tackle, thats where he goes, guards are ROK and Dahl.
train

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
LTs get switched over to RT all the time. Rodger is a good guy, he'd do it.

Jake Long, Jon Cooper, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl, Rodger Saffold. Sounds good to me.