If we draft a WR early, it should be...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I was high on Kupp last season after you introduced us to him, I'll take your word for Miller.

dang

Legend
R1.23 or R2 trade down reserved for best MILB/EDGE player available

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Will there be any WR's that can step up from the start and make defenses respect them? Providing openings for Kupp and Woods like Watkins did? If not, I say go edge rusher or ILB. If they're going all in to win this season can we wait for a rookie learning curve at WR in round one?

Ram65

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/anthony-miller?id=2559909
GRADE

• 22 REPS
    Top Performer
BLUE STAR = COMBINE TOP PERFORMER

• 5'11"HEIGHT
  • 190LBS.WEIGHT
OVERVIEW
A Memphis product, Miller not only excelled at football in high school, but was also a state 110-meter hurdle champion and was a runner-up in the long jump. That athleticism didn't get on the field for the Tigers in 2013 (redshirted, winning the team's award for top scout player on offense) or 2014 (pre-season injury). Miller played in 12 games, starting four, when given the chance in 2015. He caught 47 passes for 694 yards and five touchdowns. Once Riley Ferguson came to campus, Miller was able to use his deep speed, strong hands, and physicality to their full potential. He was a second-team All-American Athletic Conference pick in his junior year, making 95 receptions for 1,434 yards and 14 touchdowns.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Rapid-fire stutter steps and head fakes defeat outside and inside leverage. Effective setting up route-stems. Accelerates out of cuts creating throwing window. Scratches and claws over top of press and has early quickness to stack them. Can work inside or outside and has been effective on all three levels. Former walk-on with elevated level of competitiveness. Field fast throughout the route. Top notch ball tracker whose focus sharpens down the field. Body adjustments to haul in challenging catches is excellent. Works with scrambling quarterbacks. Slick with his feet near the sideline. Creates yardage after the catch.
WEAKNESSES
Short stepper. Pops straight up before breaking route off and could be challenged by zone corners looking to disrupt his momentum with redirects. Routes carry wasted motion with excessive arm and upper body action. Might be quicker than fast. Outstanding focus on deep throws turns into shoddy concentration on short ones. Will drop and double catch simple, short throws. Ball security is a concern after the catch with five career fumbles.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 3-4
NFL COMPARISON
Kendall Wright
BOTTOM LINE
Ultra-competitive and highly productive, Miller plays with a chip on his shoulder that has driven him to out-work the man across from him. While he played both inside and out for Memphis, some teams could struggle with figuring out his best fit. His inconsistent hands are definitely a concern, but his ability to get open and to work all three levels of the field increase his chances for success as a WR3.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see some of the negatives here in his draft profile and positives. He could fit in with the Rams.

It's very easy to tell that Anthony Miller works hard on his game. There are nuances in his route running that not many college players possess. Miller is an unorthodox route runner who uses his quick-twitch athleticism to the max. He utilizes a lot of head and body fakes, stutter steps, and leverage to keep defenders guessing.

Would like to see how that translates to the NFL. Doesn't seem as fluid as Cooper Kupp but, looks effective. The questions is weather he gets out of the fakes and into his brakes fast enough. If Rams find a way to get a extra pick in the 3rd and 4th he would be a nice potential playmaker.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I find myself nervous about our WR unit. I love Woods and Kupp as starters, but I’m struggling to bank on the projection of Reynolds and Thomas to step up.

Additionally, while Woods and Kupp are very good... imagine this unit without one of them if they had to miss time to injury?

It feels like we are light.

The Rams trade and effort to resign Watkins, plus kicking the tires on OBJ, tells me the Rams might agree.

Any early prospects excite you if they are available at 23... and warrant taking with the pick?

(I believe the Rams will try to trade down, if they hold the pick... unless someone is there of surprise).

Once we get past 23, we need a Kupp-like find in order to expect any contribution in 2018. That seems like a tall ask.

Goff took a huge step forward last year, but he’s still developing. I cringe the thought of hampering his progress by going in without enough help on the outside.

Calvin Ridley. He doesn't have the same unorthodox style as a route runner as Miller, and he's built like Isaac Bruce (a twig), but he's a NFL ready guy who has #1 WR ability imo. He has the vertical speed to climb over the top of defenses, he has reliable hands (although, he's not great in contested catch situations), and he is a gorgeous route runner. He's smooth as silk with easy cutting ability. He doesn't rely on a lot of fakes and movement like Miller. He just beats guys with his acceleration, quickness, and leverage. He might struggle early on against press coverage, though, because he has a skinny frame and lacks play strength.

First off, awesome post @jrry32 I have to admit I can totally see the subtle flashes of Antonio Browns game. what round do you think we would have to take this kid? admittedly I'm behind on my draft prospects this year.

*Side note- anyone else notice the qb keep flashing on those highlights? a couple of those throws were impressive

Ferguson definitely made some great throws, but I didn't show a number of deep balls where he missed a wide open Miller.

Second round is where I'd take him, after a trade down.

@jrry32 when you say he had unorthodox route running, what does that mean? Clearly I know nothing, but it looked like he was running and making cuts. Which is the same thing I see other WRs do.

Also he's not 6'30" running 4.0 40 so clearly he isn't a difference maker.

I mean unorthodox in the sense that he throws a lot of fakes and movement into his routes instead of running them as they're drawn up. He does a lot to keep defenders guessing. Some schemes love that sort of improvisation (Packers, for one). Some schemes don't (Patriots, for one).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will there be any WR's that can step up from the start and make defenses respect them? Providing openings for Kupp and Woods like Watkins did? If not, I say go edge rusher or ILB. If they're going all in to win this season can we wait for a rookie learning curve at WR in round one?

I believe Ridley and Miller can.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't say that with there interest in obj.... I think WR could be in play
We've had top 30 visit's with 2 OLine guys that are clearly options at #23. Any position is open if we pick there honestly.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Miller does sound interesting, but my question is about that foot injury someone else in the NFL has the same thing currently I know it is not Listed Frank but is it 100% currable?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Miller does sound interesting, but my question is about that foot injury someone else in the NFL has the same thing currently I know it is not Listed Frank but is it 100% currable?

No, it's not generally believed to be as serious as a lisfranc injury, which can become chronic. A 'Jones' injury can also be painful and require surgery, although I haven't heard that Miller has had such. Usually a long rest in a cast is a necessary procedure to keep pressure off the foot, and if surgery is necessary, possibly having a screw inserted in the bone.
Last I read about Anthony Miller suggested he is now available to work out, but he skipped several of the exercises at the Combine because it was too close to his doctors release. I haven't looked yet to see if Memphis has had its pro-day workouts, if not, hopefully Miller will participate and we'll get his results, including an accurate 40 time.
If he's 100% healthy, his college record should be enough, my only concern might be his level of competition in the American Athletic Conference, it's not exactly the SEC.
jmo.

edit :
U of Memphis pro-day to be held April 6.

Last edited: