If healthy Gurley is the best player in the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I remain cautiously optimistic with this kid (you know you're getting old when the rookies are younger than you). Cheers to hoping that ACL stays healthy throughout his career and if he's feeling a problem, we can simply let Mason take the reps. They're both outstanding halfbacks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not only that, but running it down a team's throat for 10, 15, 20 yards a clip. Totally sucks the wind out of a team.

We DO NOT have that back imo. Our bowling balls aren't made for it.

I agree, Athos. Provided, of course, that they actually put an OL together that can open holes. It's only one pick so there's time but IMO this offseason hinges on the OL position and how well they draft it.

At some point BPA needs to give way to getting some bodies on this OL that can do the job. Hope it starts in round 2.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or Mason?

You don't pick for next year. You try and get the best players you can get. Rookies typically don't produce right away. Guys like Beckham Jr are rare.

Speedr@m

Rookie
Did Donald start day one?

What does that have to do with anything FRO? Donald wasn't coming off an injury and didn't start because he got hurt. He didn't start because he was a rookie and a part of a seasoned line rotation.

The problem people have with Gurley is the injury, and the fact the Rams have spent draft capital on RBs recently.

He appears to be a real talent the problem is Fisher has spent several picks in drafting RBs ....and he now drafts another one at 10 who might not be ready to start on a team that won 6 games. Teams that win 6 games need their players to play right away and have an impact. A big one

Hopefully Gurley will

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What does that have to do with anything FRO? Donald wasn't coming off an injury and didn't start because he got hurt. He didn't start because he was a rookie and a part of a seasoned line rotation.

The problem people have with Gurley is the injury, and the fact the Rams have spent draft capital on RBs recently.

He appears to be a real talent the problem is Fisher has spent several picks in drafting RBs ....and he now drafts another one at 10 who might not be ready to start on a team that won 6 games. Teams that win 6 games need their players to play right away and have an impact. A big one

Hopefully Gurley will
My point is not all rookies come in and start day one. Gurley is a freak athlete. He has great production in a tough conference. Guy has AP potential.

Speaking of AP, the Vikings had Chester Taylor coming off a 1,000 yard season when they drafted him. AP didn't start right away. Looking on that draft now the Vikings totally made the right pick. Peat may help us more in 2015, but Gurley is special.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
I was watching the pick coming, thinking, "omg, here it comes, Adrus Fuckin Peat", and Fisher delivers the curve ball...
Thank God
Always take a blue chip guy over a jag at a position of "need"...reaching for need is a characteristic of losing teams.
Fish may not be the smartest guy in the room, but he sure has the biggest balls.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well is a team that finished 6-10 really in position to play let's wait and see with a player they drafted at 10 on the 1st round? Fisher coaches this team like its a perennial playoff team. Not a team that is urgent to win.

The 2015 Draft isn't just about the 2015 season and until that is understood then there will always be angst by those mistakenly expecting immediate impact from rookies.

NFL GM after NFL GM to a man will probably tell you that the greatest improvement a team can have from one season to the next comes via the improvement/development of young players already on the roster. Not with the addition of rookies.

Speedr@m

Rookie
The 2015 Draft isn't just about the 2015 season and until that is understood then there will always be angst by those mistakenly expecting immediate impact from rookies.

NFL GM after NFL GM to a man will probably tell you that the greatest improvement a team can have from one season to the next comes via the improvement/development of young players already on the roster. Not with the addition of rookies.

No offense but I don't need anyone to tell me that. I have been a football fan for over 40 years. The Rams are coming off seasons in which they have won 7, 7, 6 games. They have drafted RBs named Pead, Cunningham, Stacy, mason and now Gurley and they say Gurley won't be rushed to play. My point is when you have won 20 games over 3 years you don't draft players that may not have an immediate impact especially at 10. It is normally something you might see a team who has actually won a lot do.

It also is not a crticism of Gurley but Fisher. Hopefully Gurley kills it but the Rams have majors holes on the online and more uncertainty at WR than RB. They must think Gurley is special.... He better be

Memphis Ram

Legend
No offense but I don't need anyone to tell me that. I have been a football fan for over 40 years. The Rams are coming off seasons in which they have won 7, 7, 6 games. They have drafted RBs named Pead, Cunningham, Stacy, mason and now Gurley and they say Gurley won't be rushed to play. My point is when you have won 20 games over 3 years you don't draft players that may not have an immediate impact especially at 10. It is normally something you might see a team who has actually won a lot do.

It also is not a crticism of Gurley but Fisher. Hopefully Gurley kills it but the Rams have majors holes on the online and more uncertainty at WR than RB. They must think Gurley is special.... He better be

Ok. No offense, but it still seems that you are saying that no one has to tell you something only to go back and make the same point you were making earlier about a rookie having an immediate impact to me.

Either way, I'm glad that the team went with the BPA on their draft board and didn't try to attempt to fill an immediate need with a lesser rated player.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

does anybody need to tell you the rams didn't have a qb for the last 23 games?

WestCoastRam

Legend
My point is not all rookies come in and start day one. Gurley is a freak athlete. He has great production in a tough conference. Guy has AP potential.

Speaking of AP, the Vikings had Chester Taylor coming off a 1,000 yard season when they drafted him. AP didn't start right away. Looking on that draft now the Vikings totally made the right pick. Peat may help us more in 2015, but Gurley is special.

I totally forgot about that. Some draftnicks were ripping the Vikings for taking Peterson because of Taylor. Hahahahahaha.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Gurley's vision is EXCELLENT and that's what makes him so great. Hope the knee holds up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt AZ, SF and SEA liked the pick
I know a big time Cards fans that said "looks like the 49ers won't get out of 4th Place for a few years", after the Rams picked Gurley..Now, he is seriously underestimating the Rams placement, as I think we will win the division soon!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I remain cautiously optimistic with this kid (you know you're getting old when the rookies are younger than you). Cheers to hoping that ACL stays healthy throughout his career and if he's feeling a problem, we can simply let Mason take the reps. They're both outstanding halfbacks.

You know you're getting old when the rookies are younger than your KIDS!

/groan

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whats even worse is that I saw old Dick Butkus on a commercial and he looked like he was feeling better physically than me...:wtf:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure on the pick to be honest, yes he was a special running back in college and I hope that he still is special post ACL. I think I would have loved the pick if we'd have had a second R1 pick - RB isn't a need for the Rams, in fact we're over-subscribed at the position, I'm just worried that Fisher thinks we're better than we actually are - there were a couple of O-linemen left on the board and I could have seen us pick up DeVante Parker especially with Quick's return still an unknown...

Oh well, at least it wasn't a D-lineman ;) Lets see if we can put together an o-line for Gurley to run behind ;)