I think Snead could conceivably go in almost ANY direction at #37...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Honestly, it's almost impossible to predict exactly which direction Snead and McVay will go in at #37.

Or maybe they'll even trade down a bit if they get a tempting offer. I think I might.

After reading interesting articles and mocks for weeks, I've come to a conclusion.

Only a handful of positions can be completely ruled out at #37.

QB
RB
P
PK

That's about it, don't you think? Strictly at #37 and depending on who might fall?

So, that means that S&M (kinda kinky the first time I typed it) have a virtually wide open field from which to pick. Literally 19-20 different possible positions. Absolutely no reason for a reach there of any kind.

I trust that they will get a good one.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I agree 43. It's nearly impossible to gage who we will get in this draft. I don't wanna believe they are completely comfortable with the WR position. Woods is a good player but has hardly proved himself as a number 1 guy. I think you can also rule out DT and Safety. Wouldn't be surprised to see a CB taken early though.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
SO MANY OPTIONS! personally I would go best player available between WR, LB , TE. This is a very deep draft in the secondary and they can add depth later on . It's also the rams and Snead can't seem to stay still on draft day so I'm sure something spontaneous will happen.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wouldn't be surprised to see a CB taken early though.
Because of the signing of Tavon...plus the wr's on the roster under contract, leads me to believe we won't draft a wr. Just a feeling.

But damn I'd want them to take a cb.....safety....or ILB....find a leader....Find me an Aaron Donald for the back 7.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The more flexibility you allow yourself, the better players you are going to be able to get. This team has plenty of holes and you could justify grabbing a guy at most any position on the field.

I think at 37 - you are looking for a guy who doesn't belong there. Someone who slipped through unexpectedly because some other teams paniked and reached for needs. (Njoku, Lamp, Reddick) And when that guy is there - you jump on him and fill more pressing needs later.

If the board goes as anticipated for the most part, I think you look for the marriage of value and need. WR, TE, and maybe CB if Tru is really not going to be around past this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Because of the signing of Tavon...plus the wr's on the roster under contract, leads me to believe we won't draft a wr. Just a feeling.

But damn I'd want them to take a cb.....safety....or ILB....find a leader....Find me an Aaron Donald for the back 7.
If you have in your back 7 of your defense players like Alec Ogletree, Mark Barron, Rob Quinn, Conner Barwin & a near $$17 million CB named Trumaine & there's not a leader among-st them ........something is seriously wrong with this team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
a near $$17 million CB named Trumaine
The way this guy was tackling at the end of the year....I do have a serious problem with him as a leader...and whoever was out there with him that couldn't get him to pick it up...basically mailing it in...while AZ was kicking our teeth in...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Honestly, it's almost impossible to predict exactly which direction Snead and McVay will go in at #37.

Or maybe they'll even trade down a bit if they get a tempting offer. I think I might.

After reading interesting articles and mocks for weeks, I've come to a conclusion.

QB
RB
P
PK

That's about it, don't you think? Strictly at #37 and depending on who might fall?

So, that means that S&M (kinda kinky the first time I typed it) have a virtually wide open field from which to pick. Literally 19-20 different possible positions. Absolutely no reason for a reach there of any kind.

QB
RB
P
PK

Here's the past decades #37 selections:
Chris Jones DT
Devin Smith WR
Ra Shede Hagemen DT
Giovani Bernard RB
Mitchell Schwartz RT 2nd team All Pro
Jabaal Sheard DE
Nate Allen DB
Alphonso Smith DB
Curtis Lofton LB

:unsure::sadwalk:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
CB and WR will probably be the top two picks I think, in one order or the other. Tbh I think they'll reach a little for the wideout there at 37 as long as it's a guy they project to play X. If it's only slot types left they'll get the CB which should have great value. But WR first makes sense because CB will still have great value in round 3.

Center should still be there round 4. Not an ideal situation but I think they can find someone who can help them out there.

The more I look at TE the more I think it is going to be post-round 4. It's very deep and their need is depth not a starter, plus the position does not deliver production in year one anyway.

DE and LB both loom as needs too and depending on who slides where might end up being picked at any point. But still overall the strengths of this draft line up pretty well with our needs, so I think we're going to be pretty happy come this weekend.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chris Jones DT
Devin Smith WR
Ra Shede Hagemen DT
Giovani Bernard RB
Jabaal Sheard DE
Nate Allen DB
Alphonso Smith DB
Curtis Lofton LB

C'mon, Bonifay.

Just counting #37's is much too restrictive.

Check out these Ram 2nd rounders in the last 8 years (when the grown ups started to make the calls).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2510&type=team

Not a bad haul. And in two of those 8 years they didn't have a 2nd rounder due to a trade, although in '12 they did have three 2nds and two were busts. Coulda had Bobby Wagner, but they got greedy. But I digress.

Sigh...

Point is, there is tremendous value in the high 2nd round if the FO knows what the hell they're doing. And I think Snead and McVay know what they're doing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
C'mon, Bonifay.

Just counting #37's is much too restrictive.

Check out these Ram 2nd rounders in the last 8 years (when the grown ups started to make the calls).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2510&type=team

Not a bad haul. And in two of those 8 years they didn't have a 2nd rounder due to a trade, although in '12 they did have three 2nds and two were busts. Coulda had Bobby Wagner, but they got greedy. But I digress.

Sigh...

Point is, there is tremendous value in the high 2nd round if the FO knows what the hell they're doing. And I think Snead and McVay know what they're doing.

I would not disagree with you. That little nugget of information I provided of the last decade is interesting, for me anyway.

I think that over the last half decade the Rams should have done better overall in the first round on the second day of the draft. So when I checked out just for fun (I was not trying to make any point as you seem to believe) It indicates that many other different teams would appear to have ran into duds too. That's All:D

For me I love :love:the second day of the draft better than the first day just for the reasons you related & I will be there every second till it concludes not the case for the first day!:yess:

Psycho_X

Legend
I'd be willing to bet that we trade down a little bit to get more picks to round out the new regime's systems. Unless someone they just love drops out of round 1 to them.

Zero

Pro Bowler
This is a very deep draft in the secondary and they can add depth later on .
My thoughts exactly.Unless we trade Johnson,we will probably be
looking at CB prospects for development and depth.Too many
other positions requiring immediate attention.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Expecting us to go BPA at #37, TJ Watt looks like the perfect fit for that if he doesn't get picked up late first round.

I'd be willing to bet that we trade down a little bit to get more picks to round out the new regime's systems. Unless someone they just love drops out of round 1 to them.

Open to that too, especially if it's for Cooper Kupp, WR

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chris Jones DT
Devin Smith WR
Ra Shede Hagemen DT
Giovani Bernard RB
Jabaal Sheard DE
Nate Allen DB
Alphonso Smith DB
Curtis Lofton LB

It would have been a slam dunk if those teams had picked a Center!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

Yeah good luck with that lol

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't think there's any scenario where we DON'T draft a WR this year.
McSlay already jettisoned two starting receivers and the starting TE from 2016. They're going to want to put their touch on this position ASAP.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wouldn't surprise me if this TE draft class, in many corners calling it the "best TE draft class EVER" that one of the stupid good TEs doesn't fall to us and it's just too hard to pass on him, especially considering how much McVay wants to use the TE position and we have young WRs that are developing and should take the next step this year.

I think it's gonna be BPA, but wouldn't surprise me if it's a TE.

And with McVay calling plays, that wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't think there's any scenario where we DON'T draft a WR this year.
McSlay already jettisoned two starting receivers and the starting TE from 2016. They're going to want to put their touch on this position ASAP.

I can almost guarantee Rams will grab at least 1 WR or TE between rounds 2-4. Just all depends on how the dominos fall.

One rule: DO NOT REACH FOR NEED, take the best guy on your board.