I am so Jealous of the Iggles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To begin with, this isn't a hate Jared Goff thread, so let's just take that off the shelf right now.

Just considering what happened this off season for them, spending the vast amount of trade capital to move up to #2, to take the Rams leftovers. They get a kid Carson Wentz from N. Dakota State, admittedly trained in a pro system, who gets little work in PreSeason because of an injury..Then goes on to QB two wins in the NFL...The latest one is against the Bears at Soldier Field on Monday Night Football, which is hard enough for a veteran QB to do, considering it's an away game on a large stage....It's not too big for him.

Then, the Eagles recoup their first round pick by trading Sam.....This transformed their franchise, and Howie Roseman is the GM of the year. Adam Schefter, and many others, are gushing about the Eagles setting up their franchise for 10-15 years.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKK!:wtf:

Now we come back to Jared Goff and Les Snead....Not all Top Picks pan out, and that's not being negative, it's just reality. We knew Jared would have challenges coming from that Spread system, but he DOES have skills........It's a scary time for me, wondering if we made the wrong choice here...I may puke the first time Goff starts, because so much of our future is tied up in him...He HAS TO PAN OUT..HE FARKING HAS TO! Snead, you will not have a career in football if this doesn't work out, imo.

Last edited:

Gilley

UDFA
I think the smartest thing the Eagles did was force themselves to start Wentz by trading Bradford. I guess you could consider it risky, but I don't see how else a QB is supposed to learn other than playing in real games. NFL practices are nowhere near the level of games, the pre-season never tells the true story either...people like to point to Aaron Rodgers, but he was behind an all-time great QB, that's an outlier. The issue with Goff is I feel like he won't get to play until we're losing, which almost makes winning bittersweet because it's inevitable that he's going to have to play eventually. We can't make the playoffs with a stalling offense. Winning Sunday was great, but relying on your Defense to hold opposing teams to three points every week is a recipe for disaster. I kinda started ranting a little lol, but we're in a frustrating position right now with the offense.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A QB can learn from the bench if he applies himself. The lingo - pre snap reads - the playbook - film study - all can be done from the pine if you put the work in. Live reps are better of course - but time on the bench isn't entirely wasted.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As my son would say in prototypical sarcastic fashion:

"Don worry. Its all gon be k."

Years from now none of this will even be remembered. Nobody will harken back to the time where Goff spent a half dozen games on the bench or how Wentz started his first two games in his rookie year. We'll be too busy comparing these guys to Elway and Marino and Kelly.

…..

Legend
-Snead is still badass wether Goff pans out or not. His resume is waaaay deeper than a 2016 transaction. Thats all it will be in a few years, just another of his transactions.
-Ya got to give it the the Eagles for coming out smelling like roses when all the dust settled. They basically traded Foles and a 4th for Wentz if you wanna get technical. I'm sure it goes a bit deeper but thats still pretty amazing.
-Jealousy is bad. Dont be that.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
The Bridgewater injury was very fortuitous for the Eagles on a couple of levels. It may have never happened if we kept Foles, rather than the outright release. The Vikes did also speak with the Chiefs who had just promoted Foles to second string. Perhaps we would have gotten a couple of mid rounders, the Eagles would have kept Bradford and Wentz would be on Ice like Goff (as that was the original plan). So, Eagles get a #1 back, a mid level pick and now a possible franchise QB.

QB's are a premium in this league-still puzzled why the re-signed Foles prior to the season, benched him after a rough patch, told the world he was available and then outright released him. Not one of FO's best moves.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm gonna tap the Wentz brakes a bit.

Once other teams get more tape on him, things might change... they usually do for rooks once the other teams can game plan based on more info.

Goff? Fisher will start him when Fisher wants to start him (or Keenum gives him no choice).

That's how it goes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing to be jealous of the Eagles for is having a head coach who learned under Andy Reid as a QB coach and OC. I'll keep our QB every day of the week.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Other than this QB debate, I gotta say I am jealous of the last 3 season under Kelly where the Eagles made the playoffs, had a dynamic offense and had a winning record. Also, jealous that the owner acted decisively and moved forward after he realized Kelly wasn't going to win him a Superbowl, so he changes back to Roseman as GM, hires a new coach, trades up to get the right QB and is 2-0 to start the season. Meanwhile, we are averaging 1.1pts per quarter, have no idea when the future will begin at QB and are about to reward our GM and HC with a contract extension!!

KDS73

Rookie
Howie Roseman also hired Chip Kelly, then proceeded to fire Chip's right hand man (Tom Gamble) after two winning seasons. That led to Chip demanding full power, and we all know how that turned out. Many Eagles fans seem to believe that Roseman's main reason for firing Gamble while things were going well with Kelly was because he saw Gamble as a threat to take over as GM.

Roseman had a good offseason, but there's no shortage of Eagles fans who will tell you that he was the main reason for their disastrous season last year after Chip gutted the team of most of its talent. That Chip's only reason for even wanting full control was because he simply didn't trust Howie Roseman any more after he fired Gamble.

They may be looking good now, but I think they're far from the model franchise with Roseman in charge.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'm gonna tap the Wentz brakes a bit.

Once other teams get more tape on him, things might change... they usually do for rooks once the other teams can game plan based on more info.

Case in point....Austin Davis. Looked great his first few games, until everyone got a handle on him.

KDS73

Rookie

View: https://twitter.com/ChrisWesseling/status/778040408408412160/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Any more questions on why Wentz was ready or able to do what he has the first two weeks and Goff isn't? This should answer all your concerns.

Wentz missed almost the entire preseason, including practice reps , with broken ribs. To imply that Eagles coaches were somehow able to magically mold him into what we've seen from him so far with barely any time to work with him in preseason is something that I'm not buying at all. Wentz was simply, by far, the more NFL ready qb of the two. Period, end of story.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz missed almost the entire preseason, including practice reps , with broken ribs. To imply that Eagles coaches were somehow able to magically mold him into what we've seen from him so far with barely any time to work with him in preseason is something that I'm not buying at all. Wentz was simply, by far, the more NFL ready qb of the two. Period, end of story.
End of story in your mind. Most of us can look at that and see the different level of coaching throughout the offseason.

fearsomefour

Legend
This thread is like talking about the chick you could have landed....at your wedding. Pointless to prospect.
I think both are gonna be good.
Ryan Leaf started 2-0 playing well too....it's a marathon not a sprint.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not jealous of the Eagles. I am happy for them. I am glad Wentz is panning out. But I'm not jealous. I know what we have in Goff. Whether or not he starts this week or next or the week after, I know what type of player we have. You'll all be happy in the end.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am jealous that they were able to get a first round pick back after trading theirs away. I wish the Rams had been able to do that with Keenum, but nobody would take that deal. I would have taken the rumored second for him and ran with Goff.

I am also jealous that the Eagles have an idea how to run an offense.

But I am not jealous that they took Wentz and Snead took Goff. I think Goff will be just fine in time.

Athos

Legend
I don't think you learn much sitting on the sidelines.

As my physics prof keeps saying, you don't learn all that much with lectures. Not practical hands on things at any rate.

At a certain point you're just memorizing. You want things to become instinctual. Know the process by doing it over and over to get the answer.

Or... Making your snaps and reads, etc, "the process" in actua games and having certain routes and chemistry with WRs, ie, knowing what they'll do and then executing.

You learn by applying knowledge in a realistic setting.

The Rodgers example is a logical fallacy of a sort because you only have the end result of sitting. You have no idea the result if he starts earlier. And learning from a HOF is vastly different than a career JAG backup QB with a noodle arm. The only thing Goff is learning from Keemun is what not to do and he could do that on the field.