Hype train in full effect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's a bit misleading of Cowherd to say without adding real context.

In two games they got up early and big and when that happens teams run a lot more than pass. In one game they got up in the 3rd quarter and started running more.

The 49ers aren't a smashmouth type of team but they are running more than passing because it's working and they have had the lead big time.

JG has 113 passing attempts while the team has 154 rushing attempts.

The Rams D better be prepared because they have the following to throw at them.

Breida who is averaging 6.5 per carry
Mostert has 5.8 per carry
Coleman 5.5 per carry.

They do the RB by committee thing and it's working.

The two keys to the game for the Rams are containing the 49ers running attack and pass rush.

I don’t care, my attitude remains the same regardless. Fuck the 49ers and their garbage team. Fuck em. Fuck em all, every last one of em.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stopping the 49ers run game is no easy task.

That is going to be a big deal for this defense!

it's all about the little wins. if they can stop them for a drive or two early and put jimmy g under pressure then stuff can happen. but the offense has to hit the ground running. the rams have to get the whiners and jimmy g out of their comfort zone.

it's all up to the offense.

oldnotdead

Legend
How much controversy woud there be if Gregs kick was good? They would be 4-1 and the world would be still on its axis. I'd never believed so much negativity over a missed FG. Geez it happens okay.

Wow how soon people forget. They lost two games in a row last year too didn't they? It all starts with the division. Win the division then play whatever hand they've been dealt.

Who cares what door they use getting into the SB as long as they get there and this team is talented enough to get there.

Sweep the division from here on out and they will at least tie for the NFCW title. If Seattle stumbles along their schedule the Rams win it outright. Sunday is when the real season begins.

oldnotdead

Legend
Oh BTW many of these same talking heads thought Cleveland was a SB contender too remember? Shows how little they know.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh BTW many of these same talking heads thought Cleveland was a SB contender too remember? Shows how little they know.

I still like the Browns. They strike me as a team that could get on a roll.

But, maybe I am drinking the koolaid... Still like their potential.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I've heard that said about teams over the years, and I have to say I don't recall the Walsh led 49ers being that way even though that's been said about them in that era.

I remember them being very balanced and Walsh being very disciplined and restrained about how he approached games. And his teams ran plenty too.

He was the first guy to script the opening drive or two based on what a team's defense was good or bad at meaning run versus pass, and I remember seeing that team come out and run Rathman in front of Craig as a lead blocker many times more than they passed early in games on lots of occasions, including against the Rams.

Yeah he had Montana, Rice and lots of great players but that guy made so few mistakes it was maddening. He was Belichick before Belichick came on the scene. In fact you can make a case that he is as good or better than Belichick, it would be great debate.

4 SB wins and no losses in 10 years versus 6 wins and 3 losses in 19 years.

It would be great discussion. Cap era versus no cap..........different rules..........man there is a lot to that discussion. So many layers and so much nuance.
It was a pass driven offence. The threat of the pass opened up the running game. The point I was trying to make though, is everyone we are playing is focused on stopping the run to negate the play action. Which has been working. Causing slow starts. I say focus on starting fast by doing what we have been most successful at so far this season. Passing and fast tempo. Mix runs in, but break the tendency that has us struggling at the beginning and letting teams stick around until they can beat us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's been accurate at every distance, you can see his splits here.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/16760/jimmy-garoppolo
Jimmy G makes questionable throws and decisions like Favre did, but doesn't have his arm talent. If he sticks with Shanahan he'll be fine, but I think with him it's all about the scheme i.e. the key to stopping a Shanny offense is to shut down his run game.

I think he's a tier 2 QB and always will be. You can win with those guys btw. But he's going to need more around him than an elite QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still like the Browns. They strike me as a team that could get on a roll.

But, maybe I am drinking the koolaid... Still like their potential.
The fact that they can win games with that OL is amazing. Baker is that good. Get that dude a good offensive line and you'll see some serious fireworks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just be like @LoyalRam and troll the niners forums
You got it bruh, I do troll Niner fans "in the wild," but not on their forums usually (Maybe once or twice in the last 5 years). They dominate an NFC West forum called Spiked Koolaide where I do my smack talking, mostly. Hawk homers are a close second, with Rams and Cards fans bringing up the rear in numbers..

oldnotdead

Legend
The book on Jimmy G and Baker is the same. Get early pressure and take away their first read. Force them to read defenses under pressure. Jimmy is slightly better at presnap reads, but Baker has the better arm. Neither is good under pressure and both make questionable throws when they are.

Beating both teams is the same book. Take away the run and force the QB to beat you under pressure. The advantage is Baker has better receivers, while Jimmy normally has a better o-line. But now Jimmy's o-line is questionable going into Sunday's game.

The only way for the Rams to lose this game is to give it away via turnovers. If the Rams play a clean game they will win.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I must be missing something, as I don't see anything showing a split based on length of throw. I see down and distance but completing a 3 yard check down on 3rd and 18 would look the same as completing a 55 yard bomb on 3rd and 18.

Look more closely at how many times in the splits he got a first down.

Also you can see splits that show distance the ball traveled on other sites.

JG is not lacking accuracy on balls past 10-15 years. He's done well this year so far.

It was a pass driven offence. The threat of the pass opened up the running game. The point I was trying to make though, is everyone we are playing is focused on stopping the run to negate the play action. Which has been working. Causing slow starts. I say focus on starting fast by doing what we have been most successful at so far this season. Passing and fast tempo. Mix runs in, but break the tendency that has us struggling at the beginning and letting teams stick around until they can beat us.

That's a myth, meaning the 49ers were a pass driven O and if I have to dig around I will find the numbers on passes and runs. That was a VERY balanced offense that attacked defenses by mixing up plays and being unpredictable.

Jimmy G makes questionable throws and decisions like Favre did, but doesn't have his arm talent. If he sticks with Shanahan he'll be fine, but I think with him it's all about the scheme i.e. the key to stopping a Shanny offense is to shut down his run game.

I think he's a tier 2 QB and always will be. You can win with those guys btw. But he's going to need more around him than an elite QB.

I think it's too early to "rank" him or compare him.

So far this year he is completing 69% of his passes for over 8 YPA. I don't know how you define 2nd tier Q and that's a malleable thing anyway.But Garoppolo is playing well, has a great playcaller who calls balanced games, has a great run game to support him and a very, very good defense.

This is not going to be an easy game for the Rams on either side of the ball.

Like it or not right now the 49ers look like the team to beat for the NFCW. The Rams need to take both games from this year.

SEA has a pretty mediocre defense and running game and they rely too much on Wilson. I don't think they are a threat in the division fight.

It's between the Rams and 49ers in my opinion.

The fact that they can win games with that OL is amazing. Baker is that good. Get that dude a good offensive line and you'll see some serious fireworks.

The Browns check every box EXCEPT for the OL. If that gets fixed they are going to be more than just a handful like they are now they are going to be really good.

Wathcing NE, KC and CLE over the next 2-3 seasons is going to be interesting. The reigning kings NE could see a huge dropoff without Brady and possibly Belichick, the Chiefs are looking different than last year and the Browns have a lot in place to elevate themselves.

Also JAX............I'm a fan of Minshew. I think that guy is going to be really, really good.

The book on Jimmy G and Baker is the same. Get early pressure and take away their first read. Force them to read defenses under pressure. Jimmy is slightly better at presnap reads, but Baker has the better arm. Neither is good under pressure and both make questionable throws when they are.

Beating both teams is the same book. Take away the run and force the QB to beat you under pressure. The advantage is Baker has better receivers, while Jimmy normally has a better o-line. But now Jimmy's o-line is questionable going into Sunday's game.

The only way for the Rams to lose this game is to give it away via turnovers. If the Rams play a clean game they will win.

Yeah.......... well.......... the Rams are going to have to play WAY better defense than they have been playing or they are not going to win this game.

They are playing a team that can score........yes they have played a weak schedule but they have been blowing teams out. The Rams D has been pretty bad, as bad as the teams the 49ers have played essentially.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is not going to be an easy game for the Rams on either side of the ball.
Not gonna get all crazy arguing over where Garoppolo is ranked. I just think he's very lucky to be with Shanny.

Agreed on it being a difficult game though. And that's a good thing. What's better than your team being in a huge divisional game that matters? I expect a shootout but never know.