How would you defend the Rams Offense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Suppose you are a Defensive Coordinator. This week, you face the Rams.

Whats the plan?

Basically, break but don't bend.
Beat up Goff, a few roughing penalties and the like....he might fold like Brady in the 2007 super bowl, or like Manning in the 2005 Steeler playoff....'fold', meaning be afraid...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Fascinating to me that the answer to this question (supposedly) needs to be different from last year.

Tons of hints that we’ll see some big changes to the Ram offense in 2018.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Get pressure on Goff without relying on the blitz. Only a few teams who can do that.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Call all of your timeouts the first time you play defense in hopes that Goff can't play due to a last minute hang nail.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This is the best shot at stopping the Rams offense.

AR-180318931.jpg&updated=201803190809&MaxW=600&maxH=600&noborder

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
Keep the ball away from our offense. Run down the clock to limit Rams possession. You can't stop, but limit their possessions.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Do what Atlanta did... Take away the screen game and have someone in Gurley's grill on every play. Then force Goff to throw it down the field... but have to get pressure on him.

The thing is Atlanta had the team speed to do that in regards to their LB's...not everyone will, but that's why we need the TE's to step up to put pressure on LB's so they can't focus solely on Gurley. Everett will be a big key this year if this team is going to have a 12 or 13 win season.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Do what Atlanta did... Take away the screen game and have someone in Gurley's grill on every play. Then force Goff to throw it down the field... but have to get pressure on him.

The thing is Atlanta had the team speed to do that in regards to their LB's...not everyone will, but that's why we need the TE's to step up to put pressure on LB's so they can't focus solely on Gurley. Everett will be a big key this year if this team is going to have a 12 or 13 win season.
You really don't think after last year's goof with Atlanta that McVay won't have a way dealing with a defense that's going out of their way to defend the screen? Cooks alone will make it harder or riskier for a defense to play that way.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You really don't think after last year's goof with Atlanta that McVay won't have a way dealing with a defense that's going out of their way to defend the screen? Cooks alone will make it harder or riskier for a defense to play that way.

Dude, I can only comment on what I have seen of this offense thus far and that is based on last year.

I think one way McVay needs to counter is to get his TE's more involved as I mentioned above. Not sure how a deep threat like Cooks matters in regards to LB's covering screens. Need to make LB's worry about other options than just Gurley.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Dude, I can only comment on what I have seen of this offense thus far and that is based on last year.

I think one way McVay needs to counter is to get his TE's more involved as I mentioned above. Not sure how a deep threat like Cooks matters in regards to LB's covering screens. Need to make LB's worry about other options than just Gurley.
I would think since Cooks can lengthen the field and with linebacker cheating on case of a screen, then the middle of the field becomes more open. That's why I brought up Cooks. By season's end no one was afraid of Watkins.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I would think since Cooks can lengthen the field and with linebacker cheating on case of a screen, then the middle of the field becomes more open. That's why I brought up Cooks. By season's end no one was afraid of Watkins.

Yes, but Watkins did that too...but your right the middle of the field will be more open...and that's where TE's along with Woods and Kupp come in, especially in regards to the responsibilities of the LB's... ATL, could have cared less about the Rams TE's. Hopefully Everett and Higbee can change that this year. If they can, then Gurley could be unstoppable on screens and for that matter even Kelly when he spells him and likewise the threat of a screen should help the TEs... Now they need to take advantage of it.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Yes, but Watkins did that too...but your right the middle of the field will be more open...and that's where TE's along with Woods and Kupp come in, especially in regards to the responsibilities of the LB's... ATL, could have cared less about the Rams TE's. Hopefully Everett and Higbee can change that this year. If they can, then Gurley could be unstoppable on screens and for that matter even Kelly when he spells him and likewise the threat of a screen should help the TEs... Now they need to take advantage of it.
Last year towards the latter half they were only putting one man on Watkins, hopefully Cooks can draw two. We'll soon see.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
There is one guy
Wait for it.......Burma Shave

one guy that I would look to in order to stop our offense

Other teams may slow us down

But one guy I just really believe can consistently get after Mcvay and this offense

And he has the personnel to do it

Unfortunately.

This guy is. . .

WADE PHILLIPS

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Rough up the receivers and hope the refs dont call it, hold Gurley out of the backfield, but most importantly, tape their walkthrough.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Cooks is more than a deep threat. With his actual ability to run routes and his speed, he can dash across the middle of the field and get open, especially if they are gambling on coverage to handle Gurley. He doesn't have Watkins' size, but everything else he does better. McVay has wanted him since he took over - I am sure he has a number of plays for him.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
The way you beat any team. Make them one dimensional. Either take away the pass or the run. Take away the Run and make Goff beat you by the air. Or, take away the pass, and make Gurley beat you. No RB can win a game on is own.