How Will the Rams use Gerald Everett this Year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
ttp://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Everett-Makes-Nice-24-Yard-Reception/7816078c-b681-4aa0-994b-dc9832684e4b

Everett Making Early Offensive Impact
On 2nd-and-2 from the Oakland 47 Saturday night, quarterback Jared Goff dropped back, went through his progressions, and dumped a pass off to tight end Gerald Everett.

Everett had lined up in the backfield, but had made his way into the left flat after Goff’s play-action fake to running back Todd Gurley. Everett caught the pass at about the line of scrimmage, but then the rookie turned on the jets, darting down the left side. Then he put on the brakes with a juke, inducing a defender to fall out of his path. The rookie then gained about 10 more yards before being tackled for a 24-yard gain.

It was the second example of Everett creating extra yards with his evasive moves in two weeks. In Everett’s debut against the Cowboys, he shook off two defenders on his way to a nine-yard gain for his first professional reception.

“That’s just what I was really coached to do in college,” Everett said after Saturday’s game. “And [tight ends] coach Shane Waldron, [head coach Sean] McVay did a great job of illustrating the importance to me of tight turning and knifing up the field because you never know who’s behind you.”

In two preseason games, Everett has made six receptions for 42 yards — including four receptions on four targets against Oakland. The rookie looks like he’s feeling comfortable in the offense, and said as much on Saturday.

“A couple more games under my belt and I’ll feel, probably, more fluid,” Everett said. “But I felt like I had no hesitation tonight — came out, got the play call, and I was confident in what we were doing.”

Everett will have two more exhibition contests to get acclimated before the regular season begins on Sept. 10. But for now, Everett looks like he’s making the progress needed to play a significant role in Los Angeles’ offense this year.

“It’s still early in the preseason so the game will get much faster in the regular season, I’m pretty sure,” Everett said. “But as a rookie, I’m just trying to get better. But I feel like I'm pretty comfortable in the offense and the flow of the game.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Everett has more to give than just going on short routes and gaining YAC like he did here. This play put Everett in a nice position against a Lber in space. I think Everett can be moved around the formation even, out wide. Here he was offset in the backfield. I'm surprised he hasn't been sent down the seem on a deeper route yet. He is the fastest TE and has the best hands. He should be a great red zone target too.
Tonights game with out Kupp could give Everett the opportunity to show more than a short pass option.
Thoughts.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I think we will see some seam routes early in the regular season - Everett has some wheels, and Watkins will force teams to respect the deep ball.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
They may call him a tight end and they may try to use them as one but I see him as a big wide receiver.

But a fantastic mismatch against a lot of defensive backs.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I got to see him with the rams for the first time last night. This is going to be exciting if he developes further. He made a catch off his outside shoulder in close quarters that showed pure natural ability.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With Kupp stealing the show early; Everett could sneak up on some people.

McVay, by all accounts, really liked him out of college. At this position, I definitely trust his eyes. Dude could be beast.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its clear he's much more athletic than Higbee. Now all he's gotta do is learn the nuances of the position. Like blocking.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I got to see him with the rams for the first time last night. This is going to be exciting if he developes further. He made a catch off his outside shoulder in close quarters that showed pure natural ability.

If you are talking about the catch I think you are talking about, I remember thinking...wow...he violently caught that one ha.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm hoping often...He's our 2nd best TE...IMO...Hemingway then Everett....Higbee....well, the eyes say him and Goff are buddies for a reason.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If madden 18 is anything to go by dude is gonna be a beast ;)

I think in a couple of live fire games both Everette and higs are gonna tear it up

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think we will see some seam routes early in the regular season - Everett has some wheels, and Watkins will force teams to respect the deep ball.

I hope so. Higbee got the call last night.

Yes that quick hands. Almost got inbounds on the end zone play. Mannion threw it low and inside too close to the defender.

jjab360

Legend
I hope so. Higbee got the call last night.

Yes that quick hands. Almost got inbounds on the end zone play. Mannion threw it low and inside too close to the defender.
Agreed. Everett's ball skills are definitely on a different level imo. So much for small hands haha. And combine that with his YAC ability I can see why he was one of Mcvay's favorite prospects.