How underrated is play calling?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
After watching the rams these first few weeks it’s got me thinking this is the #1 most important thing in the game. Play calling and having players able to execute. You can have all the talent in the world but without the right plays being called you’re not going anywhere.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
After watching the rams these first few weeks it’s got me thinking this is the #1 most important thing in the game. Play calling and having players able to execute. You can have all the talent in the world but without the right plays being called you’re not going anywhere.

Play design and play calling work hand in hand at keeping the D guessing. McVay is light years ahead of anyone the Rams have had as OC since Martz. Greg Olson may have been pretty good in the linehan years, but not McVay good.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Totally agree, it's critical. I have been struck by McVay's angst about his own play calling, most recently about his red zone calls against Dallas. It may seem strange coming from a coach who has done such an awesome job with the structure and play design of the O, but I think he may be right and can get even better. Playcalling is an art, not a science, like improvisation, 30 seconds to decide what exactly is the play that will get the td or the first down. Rock and roll, not just a script. Not the same thing as careful pre game play design and not solved by clipboard play lists. McVay is really good but with his self critical and analytical nature, I think we will see even better stuff soon especially in the red zone.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Well, that morons Fishers idea of a good offense was them knowing what you are going to do and can not do anything about it. Very old school.
There has to be some sort of surprise or indecision on the defense. If I know half the time what is coming, a good DC knows 80% of the time. Who wants to beat your head into a wall.
Fisher should have gotten fired just for giving to people the OC job that was far over their head.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Play callers seem to get a lot of love/hate and who's in charge of calling plays is usually a big topic, so I'd say playcalling is properly rated by most people. It's the coaching that I think is underrated. Doesn't matter how good of a playcaller you are if you don't got well designed plays to call and your players are well taught in executing those plays correctly.

Rarely will you see non die hard fans giving credit to coaches other than the hc, oc, or Dc but it also guys like Kromer that have a big part in the success. Similar to the pats oline coach where he retired, their oline sucked bad, he came back and they were much improved and played a part in that super bowl run