How Many Starters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
We have a few areas that we need to really upgrade with new starters, but how many exactly?

My question is, how many players that we draft will be starters for us right away in year one?

Last year we got starters: Austin, Ogletree, McDonald, Zac Stacy became starter eventually, so i will count him as well. So we got 4 starters from last years draft.

Starters we got the year before: Brockers, Jenkins, Chris Givens, Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker(UDFA). Don't quite remember how much Tru was played tbh.

So it seems basically we have gotten 4 starters from each draft thus far. Hekker was a UDFA so not sure if it counts or not, but I will.

So how many do you think we will get from this years draft? If we trade down and get more picks do we get more starters as well?

I think we will get at least 4 new starters, if lucky might end up with 5.

jjab360

Legend
The only positions I know for sure we'll be drafting (if we don't sign one) a new starter are at LG and FS.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I'd say two new starters from the draft. I can see starters, as jjab mentioned, being drafted at LG and S. The rest for me is depth.
Reason being, i think we re-sign Saffold to play RG, Barksdale stays at RT and we move B. Jones up to starting C. Offensive skill positions will remain the same i think. Not necessarily what i want, but i think our starting receivers for next year are already on the roster.
On the defensive side, i'm a bigger fan of Langford than most, so i don't think he will be replaced and i think Fisher will only draft CB for depth. I am of the belief that we will pick up a 2 down linebacker in FA or re-sign Dunbar.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
New Holes as we speak from starters the last games of the season are @:
OSLB/UFA Dunbar possible replacement is Ray Ray Armstrong/UDFA
OLG/UFA Chris Williams possible replacement is Brandon Washington/WWC
ORG/UFA Shelley Smith possible replacement is Mike Person/WWC
Swing OT/UFA Roger Saffold -Vacant

Highly probable Cap Casualties are @:
Nickle-Back CB/Cortland Finnegan possible replacement is Brandon McGee
Center/Scott Wells possible replacement is Barrett Jones
Reserve OG/Harvey Dahl/ Vacant

Add them together & here's what you need:
Starting CB/NickleBack
Starting OLG
Starting ORG
Part time Starting OLB
Swing OT
Reserve Center
Reserve OG

jjab360

Legend
Should probably add corner to that list.
I know for sure we'll draft a CB somewhere, but I don't think they'll start over TruJo or Jenkins their rookie year. Unless you consider nickelback a starting position?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starting CB/NickleBack
Starting OLG
Starting ORG
Part time Starting OLB
Swing OT
Reserve Center
Reserve OG

No free safety? I agree with your list though.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam take:

Starting CB/NickleBack
Starting OLG
Starting ORG
Part time Starting OLB
Swing OT
Reserve Center
Reserve OG
I like your list except that you left out FS. You don't think that's even a need at all?

Great minds think alike eh Tron? :D

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I know for sure we'll draft a CB somewhere, but I don't think they'll start over TruJo or Jenkins their rookie year. Unless you consider nickelback a starting position?

Can never have to many starter worthy CB's. 2011 taught us that lol

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like your list except that you left out FS. You don't think that's even a need at all?

lol beat you by mere seconds XD

and yes they do :)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No free safety? I agree with your list though.

The Rams have both their first year starting safeties returning (McDonald & McLeod) fully healthy??? Plus Fisher has his top reserve safety returning from a broken lower leg to full duty plus they have another good reserve Cody Davis under contract ready to go. What am I missing boys?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The Rams have both their first year starting safeties returning (McDonald & McLeod) fully healthy??? Plus Fisher has his top reserve safety returning from a broken lower leg to full duty plus they have another good reserve Cody Davis under contract ready to go. What am I missing boys?

All our free safeties scream back up to me. No real difference maker or play maker. Thats what your missing, at least in my eyes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hear no screams... guess its my age Tron I have to admit I have been listening to my music too loud through my high powered bass -keyboard- Drum amplifiers way too many years to hear those screams.

But I sure see ugly with my eyes and I see ugly in the lack of young skilled talented OL'ers on this team.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I hear no screams... guess its my age Tron I have to admit I have been listening to my music too loud through my high powered bass -keyboard- Drum amplifiers way too many years to hear those screams.

But I sure see ugly with my eyes and I see ugly in the lack of young skilled talented OL'ers on this team.

Oh, i agree with the lack of O-Line depth and some starters. our depth is crap across the entire line, don't even know what we have in Jones yet, he could be good. Need to draft a tackle and a few guards this year.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
In this defense, nickle is like a starter!

V3

Hall of Fame
With having two first round picks we should get at least 3 starters out of this draft that can start in year one.

As for how many starters we need....that can't be determined until we see what the Rams do with free agency.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If we get 4 players in this draft that can supplant 4 of the starters on this team it will be impressive and culminate what will be in time known as a remarkable run of drafting