How I would introduce Goff to the regular season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Hey, I'm just a fan and nobody cares what I think but this is a forum so here you go...

Bucky Brooks detailed the obvious, Jared Goff is our most talented QB but he has too much to learn as a rookie coming from a simpler college system to be the best game manager for the Rams THIS YEAR. Yet we all know the only way to get the necessary experience is to play in real games. Wins are primary but developing your franchise QB should be priority 1A. How do we best accomplish both directives? The following is my solution.

Case Keenum is the definition of a system game manager. He is bright, dedicated, and has enough talent to employ 80% of any gameplan. The offense has to remain conservative to utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. The offensive line needs to develop for him to expand the routes he can safely use. The Rams CAN win with Case, but the careful approach will mean the defense has to dominate to win games.

Jared Goff adds a dimension this offense needs to be truly productive. The red zone has been a Ram weakness for several years now and Goff excels at this aspect of the game. Why not use this natural ability and start the season with his focus mainly on punching it in with special plays designed to utilize the talent Goff has and Keenum lacks?

Most coordinators script the first few plays of any game and make adjustments based on the defensive concepts employed. While Cig is directing the first quarter based on the original gameplan, Groh can be preparing Goff to understand the best way to attack the defense. I'd bring Jared in for a series or two in the second quarter and maybe again toward the end of the third with new scripts. We have enough WR depth now to introduce things in this manner specific to Goff.

While the standard process is to promote continuity, I believe that using two varying strengths will give defenses more to prepare and with Jared's ability to stretch the field in ways Case cannot, even the running game would benefit. My suggestion is certainly not the norm but I submit it for your approval.

But since I'm just an old fan, my ideas really don't matter. I'm sure Fisher has this...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wins are primary but developing your franchise QB should be priority 1A. How do we best accomplish both directives?
Play him behind max protection often, and rollout passes....Pass on 1st down often...pass on 3rd and short often...2 TE's....quick, short throws....on obvious passing downs...pray no injuries on this offensive line...
Blake Bortles wasn't ready...How was Marriota ready? How was Carr? Hell, how did Russell W. do it in Seattle? Similar offenses...Sam B played in the spread, won ROTY....
I'm not sure I believe all this crap about when to play a QB....Good coaches get it done...We must not have good coaching...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
While Cig is directing the first quarter based on the original gameplan, Groh can be preparing Goff to understand the best way to attack the defense. I'd bring Jared in for a series or two in the second quarter and maybe again toward the end of the third with new scripts. We have enough WR depth now to introduce things in this manner specific to Goff.

While the standard process is to promote continuity, I believe that using two varying strengths will give defenses more to prepare and with Jared's ability to stretch the field in ways Case cannot, even the running game would benefit. My suggestion is certainly not the norm but I submit it for your approval.

But since I'm just an old fan, my ideas really don't matter. I'm sure Fisher has this...

Boras

Please !!! Not that other guy :puke:

Ram65

Legend
Case Keenum is the definition of a system game manager. He is bright, dedicated, and has enough talent to employ 80% of any game plan. The offense has to remain conservative to utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. The offensive line needs to develop for him to expand the routes he can safely use. The Rams CAN win with Case, but the careful approach will mean the defense has to dominate to win games.
or

Rookie Jared Goff will be the definition of a system game manager. He is bright, dedicated, and has enough knowledge to employ 80% of any game plan. The offense has to remain conservative to utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. The offensive line needs to develop for him to expand the routes he can safely use. The Rams CAN win with Jared, but the careful approach will mean the defense has to dominate to win games.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think the defense has to dominated in either situation. I would say play to their potential. Either QB will be game managers. I wish there was a easy answer to who starts. Looking at the early schedule I could be leaning toward Case.

Mon, Sep 12 @
upload_2016-8-9_15-23-21.png
49ers 10:20 PM

Sun, Sep 18 vs
Seahawks 4:05 PM

Sun, Sep 25 @
Buccaneers 4:05 PM

Sun, Oct 2 @ Cardinals 4:25 PM

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Some of this discussion is still premature. See how he does and the line does before throwing him to the wolves.

Fortunately, Dallas' D line is banged up or suspended. I expect Goff to play well.

If Goff still doesn't look ready based on preseason, no need to rush him. Case can still win some games. Further, I anticipate our offense to be better with Groh and Boras on full time. Hopefully, the stache loosens up the grip on the O.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Someone just said something similar on another thread. It will be interesting to see how the guys do in the preseason games. I just hope Goff kills it and makes it obvious. He sure seems to be good under pressure. An excellent quality for a quarterback to possess.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My solution differs a bit. My solution is: Throw Goff out there. Tell him that he knows how to play QB. We took him #1 overall because we know he can be great. Adjusting to the NFL is a transition. Be aggressive. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Learn from your mistakes. And focus on getting better every day.

No reason to waste time with Keenum. Goff is the present and the future. Rookies will make mistakes. Let him make those mistakes. The plays that only he can make will even the ledger. And next year, the plays that only he can make will significantly outnumber the mistakes in the ledger. Whatever they do, do not coach his aggressiveness out of him. We don't need another Fisher neutering our young QB like Shurmur and Spags did.