Honestly, What's The Drop Between Mathews And The 2nd Or 3rd Best Lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just gonna say this, I don't think the Rams will take Jake Matthews.

Joe Barksdale as earned the RT spot. Jake Long is gonna come back, eventually. So you're telling me they should use the #2 pick who will be a spot starter then a backup? Or move him to guard?

They are gonna try like hell to trade down, and take a shots @ WR and CB.

Well, first of all, if the Rams want Matthews...they should trade down to #5 or #6. But no, that's not what they're using the pick on.

They're using the pick on a player that will start and play well immediately. They're using the pick on a player that can play ANY POSITION on the OL. You like Barksdale at RT? Fine. Play Matthews at LT. Wait, Jake Long is rehabbed and ready to start from Day 1? Ok, play Matthews at LG. Wait, we signed a good LG in FA? Ok, play Matthews at Center.

The question isn't, when will Matthews start...the question is...where will he start? And taking him doesn't just fill a spot for today, it gives us a guy that can take over at LT when Jake Long is done here.

I'm telling you that they should use whatever pick on a kid that's going to be a darn good player in this league on an unit where he's needed. That's all that matters to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reminds of Chris Long who many are in favor of kicking to the side of the road and replacing him with Clowney.

It's true that you can only play against the guys on the other side of the ball but if you're that good you should dominate. That's what I don't see. I realize that many people, whose opinion I trust (you included) like this young man so it makes me question my own evaluation. Maybe I'm wrong but I think many hear his name and think about his dad. I hear that even in this thread. If his name was snozzle would everyone have the same opinion about him? I have my doubts.

I do agree with you that OG/C is where he'll probably excel but as I said before, spend a top 5 pick on him? I would much rather trade down and pick Robinson or someone else.

Yes. I don't base my evaluations on names.

I see dominance. I see a guy that stone-walls his man play after play in pass protection. He makes him disappear until Manziel gets greedy.

As a run blocker, he may not blow his man off the ball but he uses angles well, puts the man where the team needs him to be(seals him, moves him with a down block, gets across his face while reaching, etc), can block in space and on the second level. And he does move the guy with drive blocking more than he's given credit for.

The guy is has a balanced skill-set and is very good at what he does. I don't care what his name is.

Yes, spend a top 5 pick on him. I don't give a rat's behind where he plays on the OL. He's going to be a heck of a player somewhere. And that position can be wherever you want or need him. I don't think people realize how valuable that is. Don't overthink it. Don't get greedy. :wink:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Most know that I am OL/DL linemen rabid fan...I just enjoy watching line play both sides...I am not fired up on the selection of Jake as I would normally be ...not sure why either.... but on the flip side I would be happy to have him in a Ram uni. The versatile Jake is a serious outstanding talent.

Current Ram OL with its cursed never ending story of OL injuries..... a prospect who can accomplish the 2013 Rodger Saffold position shuffle (ORT/ORG/OLT) ...now that Saffold is very soon gone & doing the UFA dance....Jake brings instant cap cost savings when you do the next four year math on the Saffold cap cost vs Matthews cap cost ....Jake Mathews wins that match easy in so many ways.

I will be aim & fine tune my one working brain cell on this very issue very soon. I still tilt heavy in favor of multiple trade downs.

Alan

Legend
Your latest post leaves me even more conflicted than before. I was thinking, OK, maybe we'll plug him in at LT until Long recovers from his injury and then move him to LG (assuming we re-sign Saffold to play RG) but then when I read what you said about his blocking I have immediate second thoughts about that.

Still, I appreciate your insight about his skill set and I'll definitely factor that in when I do my own evaluation.

Then I'll package all my player evaluations together and be ready for when the Rams FO gives me a call. :wow: :lol:

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam tantalizing us with futre evaluations:
I will be aim & fine tune my one working brain cell on this very issue very soon. I still tilt heavy in favor of multiple trade downs.
Looking forward to your conclusions. Like you, I'm tentatively tilting in that direction too. Factors other than just Matthews play (like our many other holes) are also pushing me in that direction.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your latest post leaves me even more conflicted than before. I was thinking, OK, maybe we'll plug him in at LT until Long recovers from his injury and then move him to LG (assuming we re-sign Saffold to play RG) but then when I read what you said about his blocking I have immediate second thoughts about that.

Still, I appreciate your insight about his skill set and I'll definitely factor that in when I do my own evaluation.

Then I'll package all my player evaluations together and be ready for when the Rams FO gives me a call. :wow: :lol:

Wells Alan, what mucks me up so bad on this OL problem is there are presently so many UNKNOWN elements involved in this Ram 2014 OL. The only one OL'er that you can hang your hat on ...that's Joe Barksdale for just one more year where he plays OT but what is not known which one he will start at. Either OLT for Jake Long or stay-putting @ ORT post. We have briefly touched on this unknown problem where you could have two inexperienced or a rookie & or inexperience OLG starting you sure do not want that. ....DISASTER!

So with two older worn down/injured/IR/high cap costing vets in question Wells/Dahl and the free agents of Saffold/Williams/Smith/Barnes plus the surgically repaired right knee event of Jake Long ..that's seven Ram starters right there !!!!!! That leaves us Barksdale & Barrett Jones who have 15 starts among them. Looks like we could draft five Jake Mathew s & maybe we could get some penetration events on the Seattle Seahawks front four a few times.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam not wanting to watch another disaster movie:
Well Alan, what mucks me up so bad on this OL problem is there are presently so many UNKNOWN elements involved in this Ram 2014 OL. The only one OL'er that you can hang your hat on ...that's Joe Barksdale for just one more year where he plays OT but what is not known which one he will start at. Either OLT for Jake Long or stay-putting @ ORT post. We have briefly touch on this unknown problem where you could have two inexperienced or a rookie & or inexperience OLG starting you sure do not want that. ....DISASTER!

So with two older worn down/injured/IR/high cap costing vets in question Wells/Dahl and the free agents of Saffold/Williams/Smith/Barnes plus the surgically repaired right knee event of Jake Long ..that's seven Ram starters right there !!!!!! That leaves us Barksdale & Barrett Jones who have 15 starts among them. Looks like we could draft five Jake Mathew s & maybe we could get some penetration events on the Seattle Seahawks front four a few times.

I'm not sure I was on this board last year at this time so you might not know that I was lobbying big time for us to address the O-line. I could see that we had many over the hill injury prone players and combined with the fact that others had contracts ending soon I was afraid that what would happen is what has actually happened. Wholesale disruption in any one area of your team usually spells disaster. The Rams FO had many holes to fill and they rolled the dice and lost on the O-line. Now we're in a fine pickle. It's hard to see a solution that doesn't involve us limping through another year without a good fix. Your wish to draft both a tackle and a guard in the first round would, depending on what happens with CW, SS and Saffold, go a long way tin faxing the problem but that would mean other areas are not going to get the resources they need.

The bottom line for me is that I don't think we have a choice except to trade down for more picks because we have so many holes to fill. Tlak of drafting Matthews is interesting but moot IMO.

Of course I still love talking about anything concerning the draft. :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not sure I was on this board last year at this time so you might not know that I was lobbying big time for us to address the O-line. I could see that we had many over the hill injury prone players and combined with the fact that others had contracts ending soon I was afraid that what would happen is what has actually happened. Wholesale disruption in any one area of your team usually spells disaster. The Rams FO had many holes to fill and they rolled the dice and lost on the O-line. Now we're in a fine pickle. It's hard to see a solution that doesn't involve us limping through another year without a good fix. Your wish to draft both a tackle and a guard in the first round would, depending on what happens with CW, SS and Saffold, go a long way tin faxing the problem but that would mean other areas are not going to get the resources they need.

The bottom line for me is that I don't think we have a choice except to trade down for more picks because we have so many holes to fill. Tlak of drafting Matthews is interesting but moot IMO.

Of course I still love talking about anything concerning the draft. :D

Its just about my one year ROD'mer anniversary on hooking up here. Yes now water under the bridge about my thoughts about last yrs draft. WR PlayToys vs the Uglys ...I lost out on that too. WR Playtoys are just so enticing for most. I was hoping for the OT lane Johnson to fall but they did the opposite those OL'ers were in such high demand by most teams. From what I can recall all the OL'er came off the boards far ahead of where they were forecasted & mocked. I see nothing that would reverse that from happening again this draft either.

We will see some of the better OL'ers in the playoffs i.e Fisher/Chiefs,Johnson/Eagles, Fluker/Chargers, Armstead/Saints & Bakhtiari/Packers. That"fine pickle" as you claim is putting it mildly IMO. I would call it more like a deep overuse septic tank with a back up drain field. You know what they tell you ...Constant monitoring & proper maintenance in this matter will keep you out the stink but that shinny bright crystal chandelier sure looks good in that double-wide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam trying to help me out with my diet:
I would call it more like a deep overused septic tank with a back up drain field.
Nice visual!:lol:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm still waiting on that call. :wink:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, first of all, if the Rams want Matthews...they should trade down to #5 or #6. But no, that's not what they're using the pick on.

They're using the pick on a player that will start and play well immediately. They're using the pick on a player that can play ANY POSITION on the OL. You like Barksdale at RT? Fine. Play Matthews at LT. Wait, Jake Long is rehabbed and ready to start from Day 1? Ok, play Matthews at LG. Wait, we signed a good LG in FA? Ok, play Matthews at Center.

The question isn't, when will Matthews start...the question is...where will he start? And taking him doesn't just fill a spot for today, it gives us a guy that can take over at LT when Jake Long is done here.

I'm telling you that they should use whatever pick on a kid that's going to be a darn good player in this league on an unit where he's needed. That's all that matters to me.

That's what Barrett Jones is for. I don't like using a pick that high for a guy that may or may not play. Especially when you can find guards and tackles in the later rounds.

I like Jake, just don't believe the Rams will take him based on what they already have @ OT. Maybe in the 2nd, 3rd. Sure. But not #2 for a spot starter.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Auburn OT Greg Robinson said NFL projection 1st round. Doesn't want to hurt his teammates but said helping Mom is big factor.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132166/greg-robinson
Auburn redshirt sophomore T Greg Robinson told ESPN's Joe Schad he received a first-round projection from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.
Robinson "doesn't want to hurt his teammates but said helping Mom is big factor," Schad added. The massive left tackle is a bully in the running game and has the athleticism and punch power to succeed in pass protection. He is a likely top-15 selection. Jan 4 - 12:55 PM
Source: Joe Schad on Twitter

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/419527429065953280

jap

Legend
Auburn OT Greg Robinson said NFL projection 1st round. Doesn't want to hurt his teammates but said helping Mom is big factor.

Auburn redshirt sophomore T Greg Robinson told ESPN's Joe Schad he received a first-round projection from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.
Robinson "doesn't want to hurt his teammates but said helping Mom is big factor," Schad added. The massive left tackle is a bully in the running game and has the athleticism and punch power to succeed in pass protection. He is a likely top-15 selection. Jan 4 - 12:55 PM

Possible blue chipper for Coach Bou, especially if Rodger resigns and Big Jake's rehab is on schedule or better. Jake declares he wants to come back even stronger! :wow:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Possible blue chipper for Coach Bou, especially if Rodger resigns and Big Jake's rehab is on schedule or better. Jake declares he wants to come back even stronger! :wow:

From what I can see down here in Auburn SEC territory is this OT prospect has rocketed to the top faster than I have seen in many years. Greg is still so raw in pass protection but that does not mean he lacks the ability to blossom @ the next level with Boudreau guidance.

What I see with him is Greg could be a instant Boudreau insertion @ starting OLG, meaning Greg would plug the now vacant post & resolve that open decade wound. Greg could also play OLT if needed but it would be best he could learn the NFL pass blocking skills from inside where he would not be placed in a crucial bad position for a rookie.

The sky is the limit with him. You like to think he would be there @ #13 but I see no reason to think that the good building teams who see the great value in linemen over the fancy playtoys will not do as they did last yr. The good OL'ers went off the board fast hard & super quick on every round.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Last year before we signed Long I was talking about drafting two ol first round. If we don't resign saffold I woulld be in favor of it this year. Its what fits what we are doing on offe se and its how you win games in the west. Our present line lookw d fine outside the division but not so much in. Upgrade the talent on the oline and dont look back. Even if you sign saffold his health has been an issue. Pllus long health big concern. I llike a bunch of players but realistically we aren't being smart if we don't invest in the line.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last year before we signed Long I was talking about drafting two ol first round. If we don't resign saffold I woulld be in favor of it this year. Its what fits what we are doing on offe se and its how you win games in the west. Our present line lookw d fine outside the division but not so much in. Upgrade the talent on the oline and dont look back. Even if you sign saffold his health has been an issue. Pllus long health big concern. I llike a bunch of players but realistically we aren't being smart if we don't invest in the line.

Sounds like you have a problem with Snead & Fishers "Wavier Wire Contingent" starting Offensive Line?

paceram

Pro Bowler

[/quote

If Robinson does declare for the Draft and he is available when the Rams pick at #13 (and, the Rams didn't pick Jake Matthews with their #2 pick) I hope the Rams run to the podium to announce his selection! I think he will be a monster in the NFL and he would be a real steal at #13!

paceram

Pro Bowler

I don't know what happened to my reply/quote but in a short version I hope the Rams draft Robinson if he declares and is available #13! Of course that is also assuming the Rams draft either Watkins or Clowney with their #2 pick. I think he will be a monster in the NFL (Hopefully, the Rams!)!

jap

Legend
I don't know what happened to my reply/quote but in a short version I hope the Rams draft Robinson if he declares and is available #13! Of course that is also assuming the Rams draft either Watkins or Clowney with their #2 pick. I think he will be a monster in the NFL (Hopefully, the Rams!)!

Like Bonifay indicates, the Horns may have to move up to scoop up Robinson. Snisher seem to be better than most at anticipating what players other teams are going for, but they definitely have to have their radar on full alert. They could use some solid hits in the 1st round if they want a playoff run next season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Like Bonifay indicates, the Horns may have to move up to scoop up Robinson. Snisher seem to be better than most at anticipating what players other teams are going for, but they definitely have to have their radar on full alert. They could use some solid hits in the 1st round if they want a playoff run next season.

Yes the OL "Wavier Wire Contingent" must be diversified with some UNwavier wire prospects that are highly talented skilled OL'ers if they want to rise from the bottom.

Yes @ @#13 would be just fine.