His Jersey Needs Retired #39

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
It's not Jackson's fault, but rarely do you see teams commentating a number retired for a player who played on a team with such a futile record. It's much more common you see the guys associated with the glory years.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Also I believe the Rams have a policy that they do not retire a number unless the player has been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

So 39 won't be retired.

Isn't Isaac Bruce's #80 retired? He's not in the HOF> yet.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
IF HE MAKES the HOF ,but only IF.
IOW he better have two GOOD YEARS left in him.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
No chance that # gets retired. Ring of honor for SJ. I have to say that I was never a huge SJ fan for some reason. Might have something to do with his ego. I think there were a couple of reasons he stayed with the Rams as long as he did. For one, he was the ONLY fish in a shallow pond and I think he enjoyed the spoils that come with being the teams only real star. Also, he was a "bell cow" here at a time when most of the league was moving to a backfield by committee approach. Someone mentioned that he would have put up ridiculous #'s in that GSOT offense, but I don't see that. His skill set (hop, skip, hit the hole or the back of a lineman) would have been useless in a Martz offense. Marshall Faulk was the catalyst for that offense, and no one else on the planet could do what that cat did. Marshall = GOAT. SJ = MJD. JMO.
Completely agree Faceplant, SJ39 looked like a great player because he was one shiny spot on terrible teams, I mean when you're gonna be that feature back or 'bellcow' you gotta be able to score more than 6.2 td's a year...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Isn't Isaac Bruce's #80 retired? He's not in the HOF> yet.

I thought someone had mentioned that the Rams only retire jerseys from HOFers......maybe they have to be in the HOF for the Ring of Honor.....all too confdusing.

Anyway 39 is a fave of mine, but I wouldn't retire the jersey.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
You forgot Marshall Faulk, Jackie Slater and Isaac Bruce.

Neither Faulk or Dickerson were Rams for as long as Jackson was for one thing.

You missed my point, Robocop.

It's not about length of Ram service. It's about the extreme height of play while a Ram. SJ had a nice career, but not a "retired jersey" career.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I thought someone had mentioned that the Rams only retire jerseys from HOFers......maybe they have to be in the HOF for the Ring of Honor.....all too confdusing.

Anyway 39 is a fave of mine, but I wouldn't retire the jersey.

I agree. I think he's a ring of honor guy, but not quite worthy of retiring his jersey. I would definitely retire #13 before #39. I still don't like seeing someone wearing 13 and even 81 is hard for me to see someone else in.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think KD addressed retired numbers in the Q&A I could be wrong but I swear I read something on it from him.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here are the Rams players whose numbers have been retired:
Eric Dickerson

This is interesting to me...
St. Louis Rams Franchise Encyclopedia
Regular Season Record (all-time) : 527-523-21
Playoff Record (all-time) : 19-24 (Last appearance after 2004 season)
Super Bowls Won: 1 out of 3 appearances
Championships Won*: 3
Passing Leader (all-time): Jim Everett - 23,758 yards
Rushing Leader (all-time): Steven Jackson - 10,135 yards
Receiving Leader (all-time): Isaac Bruce - 14,109 yards
Winningest Coach (all-time): John Robinson - 75 wins
Top Player by Approximate Value (all-time): Merlin Olsen - 159 AV

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Someone mentioned that he would have put up ridiculous #'s in that GSOT offense, but I don't see that. His skill set (hop, skip, hit the hole or the back of a lineman) would have been useless in a Martz offense. Marshall Faulk was the catalyst for that offense, and no one else on the planet could do what that cat did. Marshall = GOAT. SJ = MJD. JMO.

You may be forgetting that he caught 90 passes and had 2,300 yards from scrimmage in a Scott Linehan offense. Methinks he'd fare just fine playing the Marshall role. Not to take anything away from Faulk, that dude was magical.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's don't get carried away here, Robocop.

I'm a big SJ fan, too. But c'mon...

Here are the Rams players whose numbers have been retired:

Bob Waterfield
Merlin Olsen
Deacon Jones
Jack Youngblood
Eric Dickerson

Steven Jackson never achieved their level of accomplishment and dominance. Not even close. Sorry...

A retired jersey should only be for the most elite. The rarest of the rare, IMO.

Agreed. Jackson wasn't a great enough player to deserve it imo.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
You may be forgetting that he caught 90 passes and had 2,300 yards from scrimmage in a Scott Linehan offense. Methinks he'd fare just fine playing the Marshall role. Not to take anything away from Faulk, that dude was magical.

Nope, I remember that season well. That Linehan offense was quite a bit different than what Martz ran in St. Lou. IMO, SJ lacked the football sense to excel in that role the way Marshall did. That is not a put down on SJ so much as a statement as to how great Marshall was.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
If Faulk is on the team do you give the ball to SJ or Faulk?
If Dickerson is on the team do you give the ball to ED or SJ?

I'd choose Faulk or ED every chance I could. They were elite. SJ was real good.

I wouldn't retire his number.