Here's my "Feeling Vindicated" explanation post, FWIW. Lol.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm known on two boards as a bit of an optimist. Maybe too much of an optimist, lol. But I just call 'em as I see 'em.

Two areas that have frustrated me. One goes back for 2+ years, in fact.

I've been preaching for over 2 years that Fisher must go. No chance of substantial Ram improvement until he was replaced. So many had made excuse after excuse for him, though. Some involved tortured logic and mind bending rationalizations to explain his failures. And his increasingly downward win trajectory.

Well, this offseason has demonstrated what a difference a new HC can make. This first game is a dramatic example of a night and day contrast from last year. Fisher lost 28-0 to a pathetic Niner team on opening day last year while McVay wins 46-9 in his debut. And McVay started calling off the dogs in the mid 3rd quarter, tbh. New culture, new schemes, new players, and new attitude. I rest my case about the need to replace Fisher.

The other frustration was with the reluctance of so many pundits and posters alike that remained mired in the perceptions of continued Ram futility despite the many fundamental improvements being made over the course of the last 6 months. Like they just couldn't process all the positives on an almost daily basis!

I've been predicting a 10-6 record for months now. But so many pundits and posters couldn't see it at all. Lots of scoffs and snickers came my way. Don't get me wrong, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, of course. But it was frustrating to me to see what I considered so obvious yet so many others couldn't seem to acknowledge due to groupthink or inertia, I dunno.

The McVay hire
The Wade Phillips hire
The rapid hire of a quality asst coach group
Whit signing
Sully signing
Barwin signing
Webster signing
NRC signing
The reported development of Goff going back to OTA's
Drafting Everett
Drafting Kupp
Drafting Reynolds

Those top 3 draft picks further convinced me that this staff had a plan and "got it".

The continued positives from camp reporters and beat writers about how things were coming together.

It all just felt more and more "right" to me.

I was flabbergasted to read that at one time some pundit claimed that the Rams would not be favored in a single game! No, I'm not making that up.

Other so called "experts" were predicting wins in the 4-6 range. Others were saying that 7-8 wins would be a big accomplishment for McVay and the Rams. These were people making a living by making and writing these predictions!

And the predictions that the Rams would be lucky to finish 3rd in the NFC West! OMG! The Seahawks were a cinch to win and the Cards would lock up 2nd place and any possible Wild Card berth.

And yet, the Seahawks, Cards, and Niners all lost yesterday. And didn't look very good while losing, tbh. Why can't the Rams win this division? The Seahawks and Cards seem to be faltering, if you ask me. They're ripe for the taking, I say.

I know that it was the Colts (without Luck) that the Rams beat yesterday. I definitely get that. And I'm certainly not predicting 16-0 or a SB for this year. But Dang! Is 10-6 the Impossible Dream? I sure don't think so.

Here's what I foresee over the next 5-6 games...

Kromer will have his OL on the right side gelling and becoming at least an average run blocking unit.
Pass blocking will get even better.
Goff will steadily improve each week.
Gurley will become a force in both the run and passing game.
Watkins will go from a threat to a beast demanding double coverage.
Kupp will become virtually uncoverable.
Reynolds will get more and more snaps at Woods' expense.
Everett will have become the starter ahead of Higbee, but both will be nightmares to contain.
Wade will have his D humming like a Rolls Royce engine. Top 5 D.
Quinn and AD will keep opposing OC's up at night the week before.
Rams record will be 3-3, or more likely 4-2 by game 6.

IOW, the pieces are already in place. Coaches, players, schemes, culture, etc. Just gotta fine tune everything as we move forward.

So 10-6? Yeah, that seems doable from where I sit. Very doable, tbh.

And it does feel good to see my assumptions and predictions unfolding right before my eyes.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to disparage any particular poster, pundit, or beat writer. So please, nobody should take it in that manner.

This post was intended to get some frustration off my chest and make me feel good this morning. As such, I can truly say, Mission Accomplished. Lol.

So there.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love what you're thinking, even though the post was long.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fisher lost 28-0 to a pathetic Niner team on opening day last year
That still stings....reminded me of Roger Craig....running through our defense...just a painful memory...and speeded my thoughts that Fisher must go. those 3 following wins didn't matter.
Kromer will have his OL on the right side gelling and becoming at least an average run blocking unit.
Seemed like more than the right side yesterday...Didn't really look together on a couple plays. I'm just not a fan of zone blocking and stretch runs.:unsure: I did like a few of those toss plays...Looked like student body right...and those were to the right side. Think we had one to the left too...Think they were called back...

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Nice post and I agree 1000% about Fisher. Love the new culture McVay has brought. There IS hope.

As far as the rest of the season. It was just 1 game and I DO expect some growing pains. I say, 8 wins...and thats a great improvement and solid building block to start with. I'll gladly eat my words if they surpass that win total... But I don't want to get my hopes up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
........Kromer will have his OL on the right side gelling and becoming at least an average run blocking unit. Pass blocking will get even better........................
I would agree with this most of all. More they play together the better they will become. In truth this OL should be a very good pass blocking OL. Four of the 5 have extensive playing time @ the OT position. This OL has 4 college OT's, 3 college were starting LT's with 2 of them playing OG currently. The 5th (who was never a OT) Bad Back John is the best run blocking Ram center since Doug Smith was in his prime over 3 decades ago. If John's back holds up we have a bona fide Pro Bowl contender @ center finally.

This new refurbished OL has 3 new starters in it & they played very little as a OL in the 4 pre season games so we should see some very good improvement in this unit. Kromer only dress 7 OL'er yesterday. Leaving Donnal, Dielman & Nerly in street clothes.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is the only point were I will have to disagree with you, Rams43, the Rams will be 5-1 at worst after week #6! JMHO! (y);):D

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I'm known on two boards as a bit of an optimist. Maybe too much of an optimist, lol. But I just call 'em as I see 'em.

Two areas that have frustrated me. One goes back for 2+ years, in fact.

I've been preaching for over 2 years that Fisher must go. No chance of substantial Ram improvement until he was replaced. So many had made excuse after excuse for him, though. Some involved tortured logic and mind bending rationalizations to explain his failures. And his increasingly downward win trajectory.

Well, this offseason has demonstrated what a difference a new HC can make. This first game is a dramatic example of a night and day contrast from last year. Fisher lost 28-0 to a pathetic Niner team on opening day last year while McVay wins 46-9 in his debut. And McVay started calling off the dogs in the mid 3rd quarter, tbh. New culture, new schemes, new players, and new attitude. I rest my case about the need to replace Fisher.

The other frustration was with the reluctance of so many pundits and posters alike that remained mired in the perceptions of continued Ram futility despite the many fundamental improvements being made over the course of the last 6 months. Like they just couldn't process all the positives on an almost daily basis!

I've been predicting a 10-6 record for months now. But so many pundits and posters couldn't see it at all. Lots of scoffs and snickers came my way. Don't get me wrong, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, of course. But it was frustrating to me to see what I considered so obvious yet so many others couldn't seem to acknowledge due to groupthink or inertia, I dunno.

The McVay hire
The Wade Phillips hire
The rapid hire of a quality asst coach group
Whit signing
Sully signing
Barwin signing
Webster signing
NRC signing
The reported development of Goff going back to OTA's
Drafting Everett
Drafting Kupp
Drafting Reynolds

Those top 3 draft picks further convinced me that this staff had a plan and "got it".

The continued positives from camp reporters and beat writers about how things were coming together.

It all just felt more and more "right" to me.

I was flabbergasted to read that at one time some pundit claimed that the Rams would not be favored in a single game! No, I'm not making that up.

Other so called "experts" were predicting wins in the 4-6 range. Others were saying that 7-8 wins would be a big accomplishment for McVay and the Rams. These were people making a living by making and writing these predictions!

And the predictions that the Rams would be lucky to finish 3rd in the NFC West! OMG! The Seahawks were a cinch to win and the Cards would lock up 2nd place and any possible Wild Card berth.

And yet, the Seahawks, Cards, and Niners all lost yesterday. And didn't look very good while losing, tbh. Why can't the Rams win this division? The Seahawks and Cards seem to be faltering, if you ask me. They're ripe for the taking, I say.

I know that it was the Colts (without Luck) that the Rams beat yesterday. I definitely get that. And I'm certainly not predicting 16-0 or a SB for this year. But Dang! Is 10-6 the Impossible Dream? I sure don't think so.

Here's what I foresee over the next 5-6 games...

Pass blocking will get even better.
Goff will steadily improve each week.
Gurley will become a force in both the run and passing game.
Watkins will go from a threat to a beast demanding double coverage.
Kupp will become virtually uncoverable.
Everett will have become the starter ahead of Higbee, but both will be nightmares to contain.
Wade will have his D humming like a Rolls Royce engine. Top 5 D.
Quinn and AD will keep opposing OC's up at night the week before.

IOW, the pieces are already in place. Coaches, players, schemes, culture, etc. Just gotta fine tune everything as we move forward.

So 10-6? Yeah, that seems doable from where I sit. Very doable, tbh.

And it does feel good to see my assumptions and predictions unfolding right before my eyes.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to disparage any particular poster, pundit, or beat writer. So please, nobody should take it in that manner.

This post was intended to get some frustration off my chest and make me feel good this morning. As such, I can truly say, Mission Accomplished. Lol.

So there.
Great post 43. You speak for me as well. I think we have grown accustomed (Stockholm Syndrome?) to buying the line that the Rams will be pathetic. Now that the pieces are falling into place FOR REAL, some Ram fans don't want to be seen as "the fool" or the "fan boy" by predicting greatness. I agree with your assessment and again repeat: this has a '99 feel to it. In other words, the Rams are an under-the-radar legitimate team that many will not acknowledge until it is too late.

McVay and Sonofbum will already have their hands around their throat. This is fun.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pundits and talking heads would be raving about the Packers or Patriots had they played and beat the Colts 46-9. They'd say thats what a playoff team should do to a bottom feeder.

So now that another bottom feeder (Rams) beat the Colts 46-9, the Patriots should beat them 135-3?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

If Fisher was the HC in yesterday's game, he probably would have called off the dogs after Tru's pick six, instructed Boras to make the offense go into a shell (no problem with Boras!), and would have left the defense hung out to dry. And even if the Rams had won, they would have had to pull it out by the skin of their teeth. He just had no balls with regard to offense whatsoever. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

One of the things that was so refreshing about yesterday's game (among many) was that McVay didn't just try to sit on a lead for most of the game, he kept his foot on the gas pedal and allowed the Rams to expand that lead until it was clear that the Colts were crying uncle and just looking for the exits. Instead of leaving a tiny margin for error, McVay pushed the Rams to an expanded lead to crush any idea on the Colts sideline that they had a chance to win. Even after the Rams went into halftime with a comfortable 27-3 lead, he kept his foot on the gas in the 3rd quarter and even a little in the 4th.

No late game sweating it out. No wondering if they could hang on, if the defense could come through one more time. None of that crap. Just a nice, solid, comfortable win over exactly the kind of team the Rams should beat like that.

Finally.

Name
Hannibal Ram
If Fisher was HC yesterday there wouldn't have been a pick 6. Tru would've been playing 10 yards off the receiver.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

I get what you're saying, but IMO we can't be average when it comes to the running game. We have to be good to really good. We need to get teams to respect our running game. Given the success of our passing game vs. the ponies, teams may stop stacking the box and have to play a more balanced defense. If so, the run game should become more successful. However, I still believe teams will stack the box and force Goff to beat them in the passing game. Oh well... "Pick Your Poison."

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been preaching for over 2 years that Fisher must go.
I go back much further than that, friend... got me in a lot of trouble.

Just seemed evident to me, very early on, that Fisher had lost touch with the NFL today and was riding on a reputation which - if you looked closely - was not even deserved.

So, with you on that one!

As far as vindication... save this thread for a few weeks from now... I'll be happy to vindicate you then!
(y)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that the Rams will be better. I was thinking this game would be 27-10, which was nearly dead on minus the defensive scores.

But here's the thing: we were supposed to win this game. I saw nobody - literally nobody - pick the Colts to win. My best friend is a Colts fan and he told me to start every Ram player in fantasy football this week.

So while I too am optimistic, I need to see more. I am waiting because I've been burned too many times. Fisher still made his presence felt in the multiple false starts at home yesterday. Fisher would always follow up a big win with a loss - and next week happens to be another game we will win - a guaranteed loss under Fisher.

If we win next week I will be downing kool aid.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@Rams43 never apologize would being an optimist, the world needs more of them and God knows after rooting for draft choices in October so do most Ram fans.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Fisher still made his presence felt in the multiple false starts at home yesterday. Fisher would always follow up a big win with a loss - and next week happens to be another game we will win - a guaranteed loss under Fisher.
Sean McVay ----- he aint no Jeff Fisher.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
If Fisher was the HC in yesterday's game, he probably would have called off the dogs after Tru's pick six, instructed Boras to make the offense go into a shell (no problem with Boras!), and would have left the defense hung out to dry. And even if the Rams had won, they would have had to pull it out by the skin of their teeth. He just had no balls with regard to offense whatsoever. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

One of the things that was so refreshing about yesterday's game (among many) was that McVay didn't just try to sit on a lead for most of the game, he kept his foot on the gas pedal and allowed the Rams to expand that lead until it was clear that the Colts were crying uncle and just looking for the exits. Instead of leaving a tiny margin for error, McVay pushed the Rams to an expanded lead to crush any idea on the Colts sideline that they had a chance to win. Even after the Rams went into halftime with a comfortable 27-3 lead, he kept his foot on the gas in the 3rd quarter and even a little in the 4th.

No late game sweating it out. No wondering if they could hang on, if the defense could come through one more time. None of that crap. Just a nice, solid, comfortable win over exactly the kind of team the Rams should beat like that.

Finally.

This. McVay understands when to let go of the gas pedal, also impressed with his balance between clock management and avoiding injuries: If you watch some of Gurley's runs and our receivers' catches, notice that they'll run out of bounds despite having the scoreboard in our favor; you'd normally have a player simply take the hits to keep the clock going but a comfortable 3-score lead in McVay's approach warrants just going out of bounds to avoid injury.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Nice read Rams43; Fisher was primarily interested in collecting his paycheck, Mcvay is here to win and win now. As for the pundits, they never seem to evaluate the off-season moves the Rams have made, only seemed to equate the words losers and Rams as the same thing. Hiring Mcvay is the biggest move no doubt, but even his hiring was met with skepticism because of his age, as if age is this best indicator of future success.
As for yesterday's game, the team did what they were supposed to do: beat the snot out of an inferior opponent, and put them away early!!!! It's always good to win and see things that as a team you can improve on, that keeps the team working hard and striving for perfection. Mcvay will still get this team to play better. Finally, we won't get "true respect" until we beat the Cowboys, that's when we will be truly talked about as a playoffs contender.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Rams43, love your thread and I agree with all of it except this ^^
.....I think Woods looked good yesterday and really believe Coach Mac wants him on the field as much as possible. I foresee Reynolds' rookie year to be more of a learning/training experience for next year.

Also, what does IOW stand for?

~ArkyRamsFan~