Hemorrhoids!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, a fun topic for sure!

Anybody get the hemorrhoidectomy surgery ti get rid of the damn thing?

I've had symptoms for 4 weeks now and the damn thing just won't heal. It's the external kind, so can't do the minor procedures like rubber band ligation, etc. Sounds like my only options are surgery or wait it out.

Tried doing all the right things-- plenty of fiber and water, taking sitz baths, not straining, avoiding sitting, etc. Have tried hydrocortisone and witch hazel and lidocaine... slight comfort but doesn't seem to heal it.

What a literal pain in the ass. Gonna try to consult with a surgeon soon.

Wondering if anyone has a success story-- or a horror story-- to share. Advice welcome, though it seems like I've tried everything.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never had them but I hear they’re a real pain in the ass.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I've had symptoms for 4 weeks now and the damn thing just won't heal. It's the external kind, so can't do the minor procedures like rubber band ligation, etc. Sounds like my only options are surgery or wait it out.

Tried doing all the right things-- plenty of fiber and water, taking sitz baths, not straining, avoiding sitting, etc. Have tried hydrocortisone and witch hazel and lidocaine... slight comfort but doesn't seem to heal it.

Wondering if anyone has a success story-- or a horror story-- to share. Advice welcome, though it seems like I've tried everything.
I realize this is a tough situation without a doubt. But please don't take this the wrong way but when I read the title, I almost spit my drink out. Sorry man.

Unfortunately, I'm no help either but for possible comic relief.
Seriously hope someone can help.

Cheers

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have a funny story for you. Good friend of mine from my carrier days developed a cyst in his ass. He was embarrassed about it so he did what any self respecting man would do: he ignored it. Time passed and his wife kept harping on him to get it looked at but he was embarrassed and kept waiting. Until it got so big that he could barely shit and he was starting to have trouble walking without looking funny.

So he finally relented and went to Balboa, which is the big naval hospital there in San Dog. Now one thing about military medicine... We are basically like guinea pigs. We get free medical and very good medical at regional centers like that. But as he found out that fateful day when he went in... There is often a price for it.

When he dropped his pants they were horrified by this freakish thing. And proceeded to bring in a huge pack of, well, anal students for lack of the medical word. He said he was bright red as the doc read him the riot act about waiting so long, and his misfortune turned in to an impromptu class and teaching event for ass surgery. They slapped him face down on a table and went to town and he was thereafter entered in the annals of Navy medical history as one stupid and stubborn sumbish.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a funny story for you. Good friend of mine from my carrier days developed a cyst in his ass. He was embarrassed about it so he did what any self respecting man would do: he ignored it. Time passed and his wife kept harping on him to get it looked at but he was embarrassed and kept waiting. Until it got so big that he could barely shit and he was starting to have trouble walking without looking funny.

So he finally relented and went to Balboa, which is the big naval hospital there in San Dog. Now one thing about military medicine... We are basically like guinea pigs. We get free medical and very good medical at regional centers like that. But as he found out that fateful day when he went in... There is often a price for it.

When he dropped his pants they were horrified by this freakish thing. And proceeded to bring in a huge pack of, well, anal students for lack of the medical word. He said he was bright red as the doc read him the riot act about waiting so long, and his misfortune turned in to an impromptu class and teaching event for ass surgery. They slapped him face down on a table and went to town and he was thereafter entered in the annals of Navy medical history as one stupid and stubborn sumbish.
Do you have anything to say in your defense @Loyal?

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG

Well... unfortunately, I can relate.
What I found basically, is that the medical community doesn't ever really want to address how to manage these things effectively. Key work - effectively. (Telling you to take this, do that, etc - -is just not enough and it is an slapstick approach, IMO). So, in that context, I have found that a bit of extra fiber (capsule/tablet) daily, along with Magnesium Glycinate (though I also take Magnesium citrate) as well and some pre & probiotics. This entire combination of supplements seems, so far, to be very effective at calming that sucker down!!! I also eat more vegetables, salads - basically, high fiber foods and a bit less meat.

Since I started this regiment (Magnesium is your friend, for sure!) it has been 6 months of so, w/o a flare-up. Before that it was on and off for the last few years.... :rolleyes:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I realize this is a tough situation without a doubt. But please don't take this the wrong way but when I read the title, I almost spit my drink out. Sorry man.

Unfortunately, I'm no help either but for possible comic relief.
Seriously hope someone can help.

Cheers
Glad to hear about the spit-take... may as well get some comic relief out of this, though pain relief would be preferable. Thanks for good wishes.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Well... unfortunately, I can relate.
What I found basically, is that the medical community doesn't ever really want to address how to manage these things effectively. Key work - effectively. (Telling you to take this, do that, etc - -is just not enough and it is an slapstick approach, IMO). So, in that context, I have found that a bit of extra fiber (capsule/tablet) daily, along with Magnesium Glycinate (though I also take Magnesium citrate) as well and some pre & probiotics. This entire combination of supplements seems, so far, to be very effective at calming that sucker down!!! I also eat more vegetables, salads - basically, high fiber foods and a bit less meat.

Since I started this regiment (Magnesium is your friend, for sure!) it has been 6 months of so, w/o a flare-up. Before that it was on and off for the last few years.... :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info, I'll check out Magnesium for sure.

I'll see what my GI doc says, hope I can see him soon, I'll call tomorrow.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I had one several months ago that was killing me. I don't have a history of getting them on the regular... I've had one maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. This recent one was my worst ever for pain.

I called my Doc about it and he told me to use some of the topical meds that you can buy without a script... the most expensive kind. That did provide some relief but it requires multiple applications throughout the day/night. He told me that they can take at least 8 weeks to go away and that I just had to be patient. He didn't want me to consider coming in to see him about it unless I had bad problems that lasted over 8 weeks after starting the topical meds.

I was back to normal in about 4 weeks. That seemed like an eternity though. Those things fucking suck. Good luck Brudda.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Unfortunately, I'm 32 with a 12 year old hemorrhoid. For me, the answer is Preparation H. I've experienced the pain and swelling, and it usually doesn't go away until I apply the ointment. After using for a few days, the tissue shrinks and the pain disappears for months.
When a flare occurs, I repeat the same process and apply ointment again until the symptoms go away. I've been doing this for years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
@Merlin 's been doing Ayahuasca again. You gotta ease up on that stuff, buddy.
You bastid.

We have now disintegrated into a group of old people taking about our bowels. Thanks OP. :laugh3:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I had one several months ago that was killing me. I don't have a history of getting them on the regular... I've had one maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. This recent one was my worst ever for pain.

I called my Doc about it and he told me to use some of the topical meds that you can buy without a script... the most expensive kind. That did provide some relief but it requires multiple applications throughout the day/night. He told me that they can take at least 8 weeks to go away and that I just had to be patient. He didn't want me to consider coming in to see him about it unless I had bad problems that lasted over 8 weeks after starting the topical meds.

I was back to normal in about 4 weeks. That seemed like an eternity though. Those things fucking suck. Good luck Brudda.
This post right here is helpful, thanks.

Most of the stuff I've read talks about "days", but it sounds like the bad ones can last weeks.

I'll see what my doc says, but it sounds like patience is still my best option.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
You bastid.

We have now disintegrated into a group of old people taking about our bowels. Thanks OP. :laugh3:
Just be thankful no one posted pics

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This post right here is helpful, thanks.

Most of the stuff I've read talks about "days", but it sounds like the bad ones can last weeks.

I'll see what my doc says, but it sounds like patience is still my best option.
And patience is really tough when you're in constant pain. Good luck man.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If you also use the ointment for lip balm make sure you do the lips first.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
About 7 or 8 years ago I went to the Dr for my hemorrhoids, mainly due to the blood, which was more worrisome than the pain. He recommended preparation H and scheduled me for a colonoscopy as he said he could feel something deeper than he could see. Colonoscopy was fine, mainly due to the ketamine. The Dr that did colonoscopy never said anything about my hemorrhoids but said I was good for 10 yrs before my next colonoscopy. Havent had much luck with suppositories, the most relief I have found is preparation H wipes. I will have to look into magnesium, I have found that staying hydrated prevents the rock hard shit that brings the pain and blood. I havent seen my new Dr for hemorrhoids yet, but I did choose her because she is petite, my previous Dr was tall and had long fingers.