HC search "attempting" to connect the dots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
The more I read and listen to the "experts" the more I think we'll end up with Shanny Jr and his dad along side Snead in the FO. Keeping GW and Fassel with him bringing Callahan over as his OC.
I can live with that. Would be my preference too.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I feel like Patricia would be a good hire, even though he's more of a defensive guy. Extremely smart, has coached both sides of the ball, Belichick's right hand man for just over a decade. Worth a shot.
I just don't see HC when I look at Patricia. He's smart, great with the X's and O's but not coming across as being able to take control from a HC perspective. Not as bad as a Linehan, but not a commanding personality to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The more I read and listen to the "experts" the more I think we'll end up with Shanny Jr and his dad along side Snead in the FO. Keeping GW and Fassel with him bringing Callahan over as his OC.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Washington let Callahan go anywhere. Washington isn't going to give him up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be absolutely shocked if Washington let Callahan go anywhere. Washington isn't going to give him up.
Can they deny him for a promotion? I know they can for a lateral move.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can they deny him for a promotion? I know they can for a lateral move.

Every move is considered a lateral move except for NFL HC positions. So OL Coach to OC is not considered a promotion. It's considered a lateral move. Teams generally will allow younger positional coaches to move around because it's the right thing to do. But guys like Callahan generally are denied permission. I don't expect Washington to be willing to let him walk.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Valid concern. That said, I think your best possible option would be Patricia HC, O'Brien fired in Houston and brought in as OC.

That would be one sick duo and one I could get behind. Until next year when Obrien gets hired away. :headexplosion:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Shanahan or McVay for me.....go young

New England coaches are radioactive to me. Arrogant little bastard and a guy that looks like he doesn't shower but once a week.....whether he needs to or not. Does that look good on a beach? No.

Who would Vance Joseph bring as staff?

WTF do I know?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shanahan or McVay for me.....go young

New England coaches are radioactive to me. Arrogant little bastard and a guy that looks like he doesn't shower but once a week.....whether he needs to or not. Does that look good on a beach? No.

Who would Vance Joseph bring as staff?

WTF do I know?

Matt-Patriciaa.jpg

"DAMMIT, WHO EXPECTS A MAN TO SHOWER WHEN HE'S OUT SAILING THE SEVEN SEAS, ARRRR?"

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Can you explain why Patricia is an automatic flop?

I never posted that.
I posted that he had 'flop written all over him' - meaning all of the red flags are there for it.

Look, I wouldn't mind seeing ONE coach from the BillaCHEAT coaching tree having ongoing success either.
I just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon and there's a reason for that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never posted that.
I posted that he had 'flop written all over him' - meaning all of the red flags are there for it.

Look, I wouldn't mind seeing ONE coach from the BillaCHEAT coaching tree having ongoing success either.
I just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon and there's a reason for that.

Bill O'Brien has been the Texans coach for 3 years. He has three 9-7 seasons and two playoff appearances. He's currently in the playoffs. That's a coach having success.

Plus, Nick Saban is the best coach in College Football. He was the defensive coordinator under Belichick in Cleveland.

As I said before, the claim that none of the Belichick assistants have had success just isn't true. The vast majority of coaching trees have less successes than failures. Doesn't seem fair to write a guy off because of that.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Bill O'Brien has been the Texans coach for 3 years. He has three 9-7 seasons and two playoff appearances. He's currently in the playoffs. That's a coach having success.

Plus, Nick Saban is the best coach in College Football. He was the defensive coordinator under Belichick in Cleveland.

As I said before, the claim that none of the Belichick assistants have had success just isn't true. The vast majority of coaching trees have less successes than failures. Doesn't seem fair to write a guy off because of that.

That's not much success. But I guess you could call it that if you set your Bar low enough.
Three 9-7 years oh my. Somewhat fortunate to get in the playoffs at 9-7.

And I don't give a rip about college coaching.

We will just have to agree to disagree about coaches from BillaCHEAT'S group having sustained success.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not much success. But I guess you could call it that if you set your Bar low enough.

We will just have to agree to disagree about coaches from BillaCHEAT'S group having sustained success.

Our last winning season was 2003. Our last playoff appearance was 2004. I don't turn my nose up at playoff appearances and winning records when I root for a team that hasn't seen either in well over a decade.

So yes, my bar is set "low" because a winning record and a playoff appearance sound pretty damn good right now to me.

You may not give a rip about college coaching, but Nick Saban is arguably the best college coach of all time. That's not something you can choose to ignore.

If you don't want Patricia, that's fine. But saying he's a bad choice because he comes from the Belichick tree isn't sound logic to me nor do I think it's fair to him. It's like the people who used to claim that you shouldn't draft Big 12 QBs or Florida WRs or Jeff Tedford QBs. I always would respond that it's illogical to look at the failures of the players who came before the player and write him off rather than judging him on his own skills.

The same logic applies here. If you don't think Patricia (or McDaniels) is the right guy, that's a defensible stance. But judge them based on what they've done and what you see in them, not what the guys who came before them did.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
You may not give a rip about college coaching, but Nick Saban is arguably the best college coach of all time. That's not something you can choose to ignore.

Sure it is.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sounds like you don't want to give credit where credit is due.
Saban and O'Brien are extremely successful coaches from the Belichick tree
O'Brien's 27-21 is a 56.2% WP with 2 playoffs in 3 years for a team that won 2 games the year before he got there
9-7 teams have made SB (Our Rams being one) and have even won a SB (Giants beat 13-3 Pats)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Sounds like you don't want to give credit where credit is due.
Saban and O'Brien are extremely successful coaches from the Belichick tree
O'Brien's 27-21 is a 56.2% WP with 2 playoffs in 3 years for a team that won 2 games the year before he got there
9-7 teams have made SB (Our Rams being one) and have even won a SB (Giants beat 13-3 Pats)

In your opinion, the credit is due.
Success in college coaching is just that.
My posts were directed towards success in the NFL coaching area.

And just because teams have made the SB with 9-7 records does not mean that's a good record.
The likelyhood of a 9-7 team making the SB is pretty slim, given it has not happened that often.
9-7 teams don't always make the playoffs. So, do I think O'Brien did a good job of turning the team around from being bad.
Yes, of course. Is that sustained success, I don't think so. And the Saban is in college....BFD. A lot of coaches kill it in college and flop in the NFL.

Look I get that You and Jrry like Patricia, that's fine. That's your opinion.
And who knows, you may be right. I'm not saying you are wrong.
I'm just saying from what I see, there are indicators around him and that organization that are not positive.
And in my 'opinion' I am giving the proper people the proper amount of credit. That's all.

It's okay to agree to disagree.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The new HC is now officially looking for a replacement for Gregg Williams, who has signed with the Browns...Saw this on NFL.com..

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Brian Billick, who won the SB with the Ravens was also from the Belichick tree, iirc.