Gregg Williams and Bountygate back in the news

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Btw what the heck was the purpose of using that pic? :confused:
----------------------------------------------------
Judge allows Washington bounty lawsuit to proceed

Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2014

gregg-williams-bounty-jaguars-e1349094203249.jpg
AP

It’s been a bad month in court for the Washington NFL franchise.

In June, the team owned by Daniel Snyder lost its federal trademark protection. (The decision by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has been appealed.) Now, the team has lost the first round of a fight regarding a bounty system allegedly used by former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

According to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, a judge in Maryland declined to dismiss a lawsuit filed by former NFL linebacker Barrett Green against the team and tight end Robert Royal. Green contends he was deliberately injured by Royal under the bounty system maintained by Williams, who now serves as the defensive coordinator in St. Louis.

The team challenged the lawsuit as being filed too late and barred by the labor deal between the NFL and NFLPA.

“[T]he battery alleged here — a block intentionally designed to cause physical injury harm — could not conceivably be authorized under the CBA, and therefore is not inextricably intertwined with it,” the judge wrote, per Kaplan.

While it doesn’t mean Green will win, he has secured for now the ability to develop evidence to support his claims, including sworn testimony from Williams and the men who played for Williams in Washington and elsewhere.

Yes, playing football entails physical risk. But certain risks should not be tucked under that umbrella, such as the risk that someone will use the cover of football as a way to deliberately injure another player.

Could it open the floodgates for other lawsuits by players who believe they’ve been intentionally injured by opponents? Possibly. But not many cases will carry with them evidence of a bounty system aimed at rewarding, and thus enticing, efforts to knock opposing players out of a game.

It’s safe to say that, as to Williams’ past use of a bounty system, it’s unlikely that other lawsuits will be filed. More than two years have passed since the bounty program was exposed; in most American jurisdictions, the statute of limitations for injury cases stands at two years.

For anyone injured by a Gregg Williams bounty program, the clock began to tick no later than two years after the NFL disclosed that Williams had a bounty program in New Orleans, triggering a flurry of reports that Williams used a similar system in other cities, like Washington, Jacksonville, and Buffalo.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
He has already served his sentence, the comish better not decide to suspend him again now that he is back with STL

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I was unaware that any of the "bounty" evidence extended to teams other than the Saints, or to offensive players.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I will be furious if they come out of no where with some bullshit ass case and we lose our DC again. I want to see our defense under GW!!!

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Look's like the league and their puppets are already trying to put a leash on our scary defense.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He has already served his sentence, the comish better not decide to suspend him again now that he is back with STL
If Goodell decides he can do that, I'm going to start raising a Great Big Noisy Fuss to get Spygate reopened. ;)

Rambition

Rookie
I will be furious if they come out of no where with some bullcrap ass case and we lose our DC again. I want to see our defense under GW!!!
how would you consider this "out of nowhere"? this has always been a distinct possibility, and whether you feel it has merit or not, it certainly shows that williams, in addition to a stunning degree of arrogance, exercised incredibly poor judgement in doing what he did.

and since we know for a fact that he offered his players money to purposely injure players, why would you consider it "bullcrap ass" if he can show that he was injured as a direct result of williams' tactics?

i, too, would like to see the rams' defense reach its potential this season (and beyond). but i also realize that that desire can cloud one's judgement, whether one is a coach or a fan. perhaps we should at least wait and see what kind of case the player has.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
how would you consider this "out of nowhere"? this has always been a distinct possibility, and whether you feel it has merit or not, it certainly shows that williams, at the least, exercised incredibly poor judgement in doing what he did.

and since we know for a fact that he offered his players money to purposely injure players, why would you consider it "bullcrap ass" if he can show that he was injured as a direct result of williams' tactics?

i, too, would like to see the rams' defense reach its potential this season (and beyond). but i also realize that that desire can cloud one's judgement, whether one is a coach or a fan. perhaps we should at least wait and see what kind of case the player has.
I think what LAR is saying though (and I might be wrong) is that unless something NEW comes out of this case, then it should be counted as Williams having already been punished and it being unfair to punish him again for the same thing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Double Jeopardy......or is it indemnity? That thing that says you cannot be tried for the same crime twice. Couldn't that come into play here?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
This is ridiculous....Is the double indemnity thing in effect?
It's not a double indemnity thing YET because it's just a civil suit against the team and the player. It's just like how it wasn't double indemnity against OJ... but that might not be the best example. ;)

Conceivably, there might be a civil suit somewhere down the line against Williams, but that wouldn't cause him to be suspended or anything. At most, it'd distract him.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
They already destroyed the evidence...
True, which makes it hard to do so, but definitely not impossible to reopen the case.

If Belichick goes to the Hall of Fame without this coming up again, that honor will officially become worthless.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think what LAR is saying though (and I might be wrong) is that unless something NEW comes out of this case, then it should be counted as Williams having already been punished and it being unfair to punish him again for the same thing.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Double jeopardy.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
this is about snyder, he must have pissed off the wrong power broker

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Agreed, it's double jeopardy. They found him guilty, he served his time in the Rams's bleachers (lol...season ticket holder that year), and that was the end of it.