Greg Williams talks Rams D

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would not mind us giving this guy a second chance with a head coaching position of Fisher doesn't pan out.

At some point some owner will overlook all that bounty BS and reap the benefits of promoting what is a fine football coach in Williams. I think he's going to be ready to run the whole thing when he gets his next shot.

Also, people overlook what he did last year. He lost his starting blindside DE and a starting CB to injury. The starting LDE and the MLB were shadows of their former selves due to injury and age. But he just kept on steamin with new guys in new roles and packages and ensured Fish wasn't embarrassed with a bad defensive product. THAT is a coordinator.

Hope Boras has been paying attention and borrows some of Williams' approaches on things. Sure would be nice to have that kind of coach on the offensive side.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I think Greg has the SS make calls.

Im pretty sure the FS makes all the the coverage calls in our defense. In our defensive scheme the FS has the best view of the offensive formation and Rod made all the coverage calls from that spot last year.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Williams really instills that aggressive, trash talking, alpha male mentality into our defense. They have a clear identity and they play like it.

Our offense has really lacked that clear sense of identity and purpose instilled from the top down between Schotty and Cignetti. I don't know if Boras is the type of coach who can develop a clear identity for this offense, but if he can and gets the players to buy in we should improve leaps and bounds on offense.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Finally had a chance to see the video on my laptop...reading between the lines: Alexander and Joiner were practically named starters....Alexander may push McDonald out the door at the end of his contract, for practical reasons. (It sucks having so many good guys at the same positions that command playing time) ...Ogletree is ready for his role...Coples is getting a rude awakening that he will have to step up...Hager may push Ayers to a backup role...Forrest may push him to the streets- I am thinking maybe Forrest was a steal.....Guys buy into Williams coaching because he cares about them as men, and it shows...Gaines is not quite ready yet, coming off injury...Chris and James were well loved, but Williams knows how to make football decisions, and separate those from loyalty decisions. I think Williams was the final say in letting them go.... Those two player decisions have a lot to do with Williams comments that this team is "FAST, maybe the fastest in the league."... hate to say it but a Laurinitis/Long defense is not the "fastest in the league".....this fast defense will help our young, developing offense immensely. It will shorten the learning curve.

Mark my word. Goff, Gurley, Austin, Britt and Kendricks will all have big first halves. Higbee, and Cooper will have a couple big games later in the season. Our offensive line will be ignored for a bit, then talked about as top ten by the end of the season.

Last edited:

HinkoDMayo

UDFA
Name
Hinks
Gregg Williams got me excited!! The guy knows football and he knows how to get the best out of his players. Everyone was critiquing him about moving Barron to LB but look what he done! If one of the LB gets injured I can see either MO or TJ doing the same thing. He bleeds football 24-7!! The only thing I would like him to try is Joyner at FS.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he only thing I would like him to try is Joyner at FS.

not happening. he said the wrs aren't looking forward to lining up against him in press coverage.

plus he was raving about the safties on the team. i don't think we'll ever see joyner back there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Im pretty sure the FS makes all the the coverage calls in our defense. In our defensive scheme the FS has the best view of the offensive formation and Rod made all the coverage calls from that spot last year.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bd60fdab-d95f-57dc-8f01-247ab20c8609.html
“He’s got all the tools to play the position at this level and play it very, very well,” Fisher said. “We’re especially impressed with his instincts and his football intelligence. He’s making calls like veterans make calls in the secondary.”
Damn, I'm sure I read he made the calls in Greg's defense...can't find it....yet...
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2015/film-room-tj-mcdonald

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-rams-make-or-break-season/
The McDonald who emerged last season was a monster. As Cian Faheydocumented at Football Outsiders last week, McDonald was a run-stifling dynamo, both around the line of scrimmage and from deep in the secondary. McDonald’s athleticism allows him to get wherever he wants, but his football instincts and ability to avoid the trash around the line of scrimmage allows him to separate from the LaRon Landry types of the league and actually make plays. Football Outsiders also noted that McDonald made the second-most run tackles for a safety last year, while opposing ball carriers managed to break only three McDonald tackles.

McDonald is the best building block the Rams have in their perennially struggling secondary.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794097-the-insiders-guide-to-a-gregg-williams-defense
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/inside-the-playbook-cover-7-breakdown/

The reason I list Matt Bowen is because he played SS in Williams defense...and I have seen him state how he would call defenses for the DB's...but I can't find it....too many IPA's....in any event, I'd doubt we'd let McLeod go, if he was indeed a rising player AND made crucial coverage/blitz calls...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Finally got to watch the GW presser.

He certainly doesn't lack for confidence, does he?

I'll say it again. If Quinn is healthy, we are a top 5 D. Maybe better.

Can't wait for those camp reports to start coming in.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
GW got me pumped up! You can tell that guy knows his craft just by the speed at which he dishes out answers to all the questions. Did the guy hesitate or say, "ummm", "ahhhh" etc. even once? He's confident in his plan, his coaches, and his players. I think we got a top 3 D coming our way this year!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
GW high on Mo and Joyner. I got a feeling we're going to see McD and Mo at S. Wow, two solid thumpers who know how to bring the wood!

Ram65

Legend
This defense is going to be fast!

D Lineman that run like Linebackers!

Linebackers that run like Defensive Backs!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting comments on DL'er Quinton Coples......Gregg says "Coples needs to continue rehab???" I did not know he had an injury or surgery issues. Coples " needs to get in better physical condition to play?" Is Coples out of football shape now? Then Gregg brings up a "babyish comment" when involved in discussion about Coples ? I was wondering in a post last month what Coples weight would be, I expected that he would come in over 300 pounds...... Like I said interesting stuff.

Been saying this for a while.....its going to be hard for Gregg to remove Mo Alexander from that starting strong safety post he nailed down late last season. It would be nice for the young troubled but talented Troy Hill make it as our 5th Corner. Outstanding description of corner Lamarcus Joyner....he could surprise this season & become one of our best leaders in our secondary;)