Greg Gaines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We may disagree on what constitutes a 'shit-ton-of-$'; and while I do agree that the Rams can create some cap space ... and the cap is taking a healthy jump ... I don't think the Rams can open up a tremendous amount of cap space.

The Rams had flexibility with the Donald, Ramsey, Woods and Kupp contracts but they took advantage of that prior to this season. There's less flexibility for 2022. Can see them opening-up between $20-30M of cap space; and having somewhere in the mid-30s total.

That would be decent but there are lots of plyers scheduled for unrestricted free agency. Most prominent are Miller, Williams, Beckham, Michel, Joseph-Day, Corbett, Allen, Noteboom and Deayon.

Once you convert a year's worth of salary, are you pre-empted from doing that again? I'm asking because I can't find answer.
And, if not, wouldn't be adding a year to the contract be an option?
Yes, you create some real problems down the road... but.. with how much the cap is predicted to go up, I'm not sure this isn't how they would go for the 22 season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Once you convert a year's worth of salary, are you pre-empted from doing that again? I'm asking because I can't find answer.
And, if not, wouldn't be adding a year to the contract be an option?
Yes, you create some real problems down the road... but.. with how much the cap is predicted to go up, I'm not sure this isn't how they would go for the 22 season.
Not certain I understand the question.

Restructured players don't generally take less money. They receive the same amount at the same time. It's just classified differently, and that allows for it to be allocated differently for cap purposes. Teams can re-structure a player/contract more than once but it's costly.

For example, after re-structuring Donald, Ramsey, Woods and Kupp, those four players count $36M against the Rams' 2021 salary cap. That's NOT a lot for four top players. The same four guys are scheduled to count $84M against the Rams' 2022 salary cap. That's 40% of the projected 2022 Team salary cap.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not certain I understand the question.

Restructured players don't generally take less money. They receive the same amount at the same time. It's just classified differently, and that allows for it to be allocated differently for cap purposes. Teams can re-structure a player/contract more than once but it's costly.

For example, after re-structuring Donald, Ramsey, Woods and Kupp, those four players count $36M against the Rams' 2021 salary cap. That's NOT a lot for four top players. The same four guys are scheduled to count $84M against the Rams' 2022 salary cap. That's 40% of the projected 2022 Team salary cap.
I understand that they don't take less money when they restructure.
The money is converted to bonus and spread out on subsequent years. What I didn't know is if they can do that to the same player more than once. Yes, it would balloon their cap hit, That's why I could see more than one extension come into play. It will lead to some ugly days down the road.. but this is a team in a winning window with Stafford, Kupp, Ramsey and Donald.

I would bet we see years added to at least one of those deals.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
What I didn't know is if they can do that to the same player more than once. Yes, it would balloon their cap hit,
That's why I could see more than one extension come into play. It will lead to some ugly days down the road.. but this is a team in a winning window with Stafford, Kupp, Ramsey and Donald.

Yes, they can be extended but players will not reduce guaranteed-$; and more guaranteed-$ would probably need to be added. Then you have to consider the players ages, and how long the Rams want to have significant guaranteed-$ tied to aging players.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yes, they can be extended but players will not reduce guaranteed-$; and more guaranteed-$ would probably need to be added. Then you have to consider the players ages, and how long the Rams want to have significant guaranteed-$ tied to aging players.
All factors that I recognize.
I balance that with the upcoming jump in the cap, which should be significant, and the fact that they have a window to take advantage of.
Kupp will only be 31 in 2024.. you can absolutely play with that year and 25.
Higbee would be a candidate for an extension.
Havenstein, for sure.
Ramsey will be 31 in 2025.
Floyd has room to play with and has shown his value as it relates to contract.

I think it's about aggressiveness and how they view this window.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well, shit.. had hand surgery today, but is expected to play this week.
Wonder how close SJD is..

RAMBUSH

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn , I love reading what you guys write. Very knowledgeable. Rams fans are the best.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Speaking of Robinson he had a hell of a game. Eating some serious crow with that dude and it's great lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bobby Brown III and Earnest Brown IV, who is still on the practice squad, but was drafted in the fifth. Copeland, Hoecht, Jonah Williams are there as well. That's why I think we can afford to lose SJD for a high compensatory pick (as much as it hurts; he's become one of my favorite players) and trade A'Shawn Robinson; we have depth on our defensive line.

SJD, Grizzly Gaines, and Morgan Fox were "depth" once upon a time. A sixth, a fourth, and an undrafted free agent. Bobby Brown III and Earnest Brown IV were a fourth and fifth round pick, respectively. And then you consider Williams, Copeland, and Hoecht - all of whom made the active roster at one point, and - in Williams' case - will hopefully be back. That also doesn't preclude us signing another defensive lineman from a team's practice squad.

You're underselling what they can do for this team given another year to bulk up, another year to eat right, another year to learn technique from the best. You're also underselling that we can draft yet another defensive lineman to replace Robinson, if not move one of our linemen into the vacant spot - where they'll likely be good. The defensive line class this year is a hell of a lot stronger than last year's, and I bet we'll take advantage of it with one of our many sixths, if not more or higher. You can quote me on that, right or wrong.

Trading Robinson would add another pick, probably a mid-round pick for how young he is and how he's producing. If we're re-signing OBJ, it makes sense to deal Woods as well; you can't have three receivers eating at the cap, and OBJ is younger than Bobby Trees. Woods would likely net us a second round pick.

Ultimately, I'd sign Gay, OBJ, one (or both, depending on what Whit does) of Corbett or Noteboom, and Michel with the dead money coming off of the cap. That's the most important thing; re-signing the offensive line, an elite receiver, your best special teams player, maybe even a power back.

My apologies for being rambling, haha. :D
Some of those guys that you mentioned haven't done jack when they got some playing time. The only one I have high hopes for is Bobby Brown. If you recall the Rams had Brockers and got Ashawn along with Gaines, SJD and Donald. They seem to like the proven talent. Otherwise why sign Ashawn to rotate with Brockers in the first place? If the depth is so great why didn't they just roll with the depth guys? They wanted to keep Brockers until he refused to take a pay cut. So they weren't relying on Hoecht, Williams, or Copeland. They had Banks but were comfortable cutting him or trying to get him back to the practice squad.

I don't see how cutting or trading Ashawn this offseason makes the team better. It would be a big gamble. Bobby Brown looks more like a nose, who would likely rotate with Gaines. Maybe he could rotate with Ashawn too. But, naming him a starter and relying on practice squad types to fill in is risky.

In regards to Ernest Brown IV. He was a fifth round pick and they risked putting him on the practice squad with the udfas . If he was any good then he gets grabbed by another team right away. Nobody had interest. That says that they were willing to lose him rather than take up a roster spot. Do they often do that with that high of a pick? They had other guys picked lower or signed as udfas grabbed right away.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
SJD, Grizzly Gaines, and Morgan Fox were "depth" once upon a time. A sixth, a fourth, and an undrafted free agent. Bobby Brown III and Earnest Brown IV were a fourth and fifth round pick, respectively. And then you consider Williams, Copeland, and Hoecht - all of whom made the active roster at one point, and - in Williams' case - will hopefully be back. That also doesn't preclude us signing another defensive lineman from a team's practice squad.

You're underselling what they can do for this team given another year to bulk up, another year to eat right, another year to learn technique from the best. You're also underselling that we can draft yet another defensive lineman to replace Robinson, if not move one of our linemen into the vacant spot - where they'll likely be good. The defensive line class this year is a hell of a lot stronger than last year's, and I bet we'll take advantage of it with one of our many sixths, if not more or higher. You can quote me on that, right or wrong.

Trading Robinson would add another pick, probably a mid-round pick for how young he is and how he's producing. If we're re-signing OBJ, it makes sense to deal Woods as well; you can't have three receivers eating at the cap, and OBJ is younger than Bobby Trees. Woods would likely net us a second round pick.

Ultimately, I'd sign Gay, OBJ, one (or both, depending on what Whit does) of Corbett or Noteboom, and Michel with the dead money coming off of the cap. That's the most important thing; re-signing the offensive line, an elite receiver, your best special teams player, maybe even a power back.

My apologies for being rambling, haha. :D
Great post, Mem

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
... If you recall the Rams had Brockers and got Ashawn along with Gaines, SJD and Donald. They seem to like the proven talent. Otherwise why sign Ashawn to rotate with Brockers in the first place? If the depth is so great why didn't they just roll with the depth guys?
As I recall, they did not sign Robinson to rotate with Brockers.

They signed Robinson to replace Brockers after he agreed to a deal with the Ravens.

Baltimore backed-out of the contract based on medical concerns, and Brockers was re-signed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's an old saying in football re: the ideal NT being a short/stout FB beefed up to play on the line. Gaines is the epitome of that I think.

I'm sure he could run it well too btw, as would AD, but don't want him taking hits. He gets enough contact in there as it is.
I think AD could be a devastating FB in the NFL. I saw him grab a fumble and turn around to run it back and he looked good doing it....I think that particular play was called back because of a penalty....

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I understand that they don't take less money when they restructure.
The money is converted to bonus and spread out on subsequent years. What I didn't know is if they can do that to the same player more than once. Yes, it would balloon their cap hit, That's why I could see more than one extension come into play. It will lead to some ugly days down the road.. but this is a team in a winning window with Stafford, Kupp, Ramsey and Donald.

They have to agree to have yrs added unless they are fake yrs where they count against our cap, but they are no longer under contract.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think AD could be a devastating FB in the NFL. I saw him grab a fumble and turn around to run it back and he looked good doing it....I think that particular play was called back because of a penalty....
Don’t be shocked to see AD get a carry in the SB near the goal line.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Some people have suggested cutting A'Shawn post June 1st.. I forget how much that would reduce his dead cap. It's 5.5 if you trade him... not worth it, at all, to me.
Robinson's been extremely solid for the Rams this year and there's no reason to tempt fate that way next year. All the other guys are on rookie deals or dirt cheap. Keep it an area of strength.

Yes.. we have depth.. that's why they survived losing SJD. If Robinson was out? Yikes.
I’m with you, keep a strength a strength. We’ve had good success in the draft but we can’t assume these guys will pan out.
Last year when AD went out there wasn’t anyone to at least make Rodgers uncomfortable, we got gashed with the run and finished off with play action. Now Gaines and A’shawn and Von and Floyd and maybe SJD, that’s a formidable group against the run and pass.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As I recall, they did not sign Robinson to rotate with Brockers.

They signed Robinson to replace Brockers after he agreed to a deal with the Ravens.

Baltimore backed-out of the contract based on medical concerns, and Brockers was re-signed.
Yeah you are correct I think.