Grading Les Snead’s Job in St. Louis So Far--101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Randy Karraker and D'Marco Farr on 101ESPN Fast Lane evaluates Rams GM Les Snead’s time in St. Louis so far. What are the Snead’s hits and misses so far in handling the draft?

Listen to Snead Discussion

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Wow they D/Marco does not like Brockers? Tavon? r u kidding the guy has never been properly utilized.
Snead has had some prettty darn good draft picks. Ogeltree at late 1st round, no big wr? What about Quick, Britt, then Cook, Tavon, and Bailey.
D'Marco is pretty clueless.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I haven't listened to this but over here its standard for a sports radio host to deliberately say something he knows people will disagree with so as to generate debate. It's a bit like Bernie click-baiting at the PD

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Wow they D/Marco does not like Brockers? Tavon? r u kidding the guy has never been properly utilized.
Snead has had some prettty darn good draft picks. Ogeltree at late 1st round, no big wr? What about Quick, Britt, then Cook, Tavon, and Bailey.
D'Marco is pretty clueless.

I don't think he was saying he doesn't like them. He was really just saying for where they were picked they haven't put up the numbers for their draft status. And really he is right. May not be fair but is what it is kind of thing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They've hit on some and missed on others...IMO last year the pick in round two should have been QB Jimmy Garoppolo from Eastern Illinois. He was right in their back yard, but they trade up for an undersized hybrid in LeMarcus Joyner who they fell in love because of their interview and traded up giving away a 5th round pick because Fisher was paranoid his old team was going to draft him.

I guess they really felt Bradford was fine and would be back to 100%, however, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I give Snead an A+, I have major concerns with Fisher.
Not starting Donald, Bailey, Stacy immediately, keeping the former OC. I did not like the Fisher hire and I would be fine if he was replaced. My fear is If the Rams suck again this yesr Snead maybe let go and Fisher will stay. If that happens I'll be done with the Rams and FB.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I love Snead, as a GM. I do think he suffers from the "smartest guy in the room" syndrome from time to time, as many of us do. That Austin pick was a disaster. I said it at the time, and it is still true. It has nothing to do with Tavon the player, it has everything to do with the cost to get him. Stupid, stupid move! I also hated the Quick pick. You had all night and all day to field offers, and over-drafting a project was the best you could do? Again, nothing on Quick, but that pick was a real head scratcher.

Having said that, I think he has found some real gems. I also love how he saw Donald sitting there and took him. DT was not a pressing need, but he took the best player on the board. I want the GM of my team to have the balls to take the best player on the board! I don't see Snead being bullied into drafting a player out of desperation.

I am not a Fisher guy. I am a Snead guy though, and hope that his future is not tied to the coach's.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard to evaluate Snead yet.

What's the old axiom? Can't judge a draft for three years (minimum)?

A lot of these kids took some time to develop and - even now - I'm not sure what we really have:
Brockers
Quick
Jenkins
Austin
Ogletree
Bailey
Robinson
Joyner
Mason
I've seen flashes of brilliance from a lot of these kids, but nothing consistent yet. And, it makes sense to a degree. They're still developing.

But, for the guys now entering their 4th year (like Brockers, Quick, Jenkins, Johnson, Givens)... I'm expecting them to now become consistent producers for the team.

Out of all the picks Snead has made, I feel best about:
Ogletree
Bailey
Robinson
Donald
Mason

Just my personal hunches on those guys and my guess on projected success in the NFL. I think they'll become special players.

Of course, no team has contacted me to head up their pro personnel departments. :)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have been delighted :Dthat Snead is our Rams team GM. Snead has been lucky & unlucky over the last 3 seasons. The two areas that bother me the most in Snead's 3 year performance is the lack of OL'ers selected on the first two days of the draft & the back up QB situation as brought out by den-the-coach.

I still think that there is some very good latent drafted talent by Snead on this team not yet recognized or discovered yet for various reasons:
2013 4th rd OL'er Barrett Jones (Injury-two yrs of surgeries)
2013 5th rd CB Brandon McGee (injuries)
2013 3rd rd WR Stedman Bailey (QB issues & underutilized)
2014 2nd rd DB Lamarcus Joyner (injury)
2014 7th rd OL'er Demetrius Rhaney (injury)

Some questionable decisions are here too:
2012 2nd rd WR Quick (in 3 yrs we have got very little production from a #33 selection & he will be a UFA next yr @ this time.)
2012 2nd rd RB Pead (taken way too early in the draft)
2013 1st rd WR Austin (production from a #8 overall pick major disappointment looks to me Rams have already wasted 2 yrs of his 4 yr contract with low minimal dividends maybe more of a Fisher issue though)

In conclusion The last three drafts have been exciting with Snead. Unlike the decades of past disappointment & disgusts. I still would not trade Snead for anyone else with the exception of John Schneider(who is a out of this world brilliant alien who has taken human form).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have been delighted :Dthat Snead is our Rams team GM. Snead has been lucky & unlucky over the last 3 seasons. The two areas that bother me the most in Snead's 3 year performance is the lack of OL'ers selected on the first two days of the draft & the back up QB situation as brought out by den-the-coach.

I still think that there is some very good latent drafted talent by Snead on this team not yet recognized or discovered yet for various reasons:
2013 4th rd OL'er Barrett Jones (Injury-two yrs of surgeries)
2013 5th rd CB Brandon McGee (injuries)
2013 3rd rd WR Stedman Bailey (QB issues & underutilized)
2014 2nd rd DB Lamarcus Joyner (injury)
2014 7th rd OL'er Demetrius Rhaney (injury)

Some questionable decisions are here too:
2012 2nd rd WR Quick (in 3 yrs we have got very little production from a #33 selection & he will be a UFA next yr @ this time.)
2012 2nd rd RB Pead (taken way too early in the draft)
2013 1st rd WR Austin (production from a #8 overall pick major disappointment looks to me Rams have already wasted 2 yrs of his 4 yr contract with low minimal dividends maybe more of a Fisher issue though)

In conclusion The last three drafts have been exciting with Snead. Unlike the decades of past disappointment & disgusts. I still would not trade Snead for anyone else with the exception of John Schneider(who is a out of this world brilliant alien who has taken human form).

Very well said, BonifayRam.

And I would like to add two other points, if I may.

First, Snead will probably never be given sufficient kudos for consummating the RG3 trade. That was a real coup and the resulting 6 players really helped to jump start the restocking of an abysmal roster.

Second, I believe he has done very well with picks from the 4th round on down, including UDFA's. THAT has been a refreshing change from the previous 13 years or so.

Yeah, I'm a big Snead fan. Lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Very well said, BonifayRam.

And I would like to add two other points, if I may.

First, Snead will probably never be given sufficient kudos for consummating the RG3 trade. That was a real coup and the resulting 6 players really helped to jump start the restocking of an abysmal roster.

Second, I believe he has done very well with picks from the 4th round on down, including UDFA's. THAT has been a refreshing change from the previous 13 years or so.

Yeah, I'm a big Snead fan. Lol.

Yes & yes all true....and yes I am a big fan too....& very jealous & envious of his full head of hair too. My wife likes the way he looks.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Snead's approach to the draft has always been finding value based on athletic potential. While it's viable to do so, I'd like to see us finding high IQ players whether it's the draft or the FA to teach these raw players how to use their athleticism.

A55VA6

Legend
There's hits, there's misses. But overall, I think Snead has done a good job. He was spot on about Brian Quick, which I thought was pretty impressive. He knew it would take about 3 years.. and then we finally saw what Quick could do.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There's hits, there's misses. But overall, I think Snead has done a good job. He was spot on about Brian Quick, which I thought was pretty impressive. He knew it would take about 3 years.. and then we finally saw what Quick could do.

Myself I would think that a WR who is selected with that very high valued first selection on the second day of the draft #33......would be expected to come in & produce for the weak Ram team much earlier than his 3rd yr on his 4 yr contract.

Its very hard for me to see that as being a example of good use of that valued draft pick. I see it as an example of closer to that of being a poor use of that valued pick.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't think he was saying he doesn't like them. He was really just saying for where they were picked they haven't put up the numbers for their draft status. And really he is right. May not be fair but is what it is kind of thing.

With respect to Brockers, I am so tired of people trying to judge him by "numbers". He wasn't brought here specifically to generate numbers, he was brought here to eat blockers. Which he does.

Can anyone come up with a stat for blockers eaten? I'm sure Brockers will have good numbers then.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd give Snead an A+ for his job so far. He's the Best GM we've had in many, many years!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
With respect to Brockers, I am so tired of people trying to judge him by "numbers". He wasn't brought here specifically to generate numbers, he was brought here to eat blockers. Which he does.

Can anyone come up with a stat for blockers eaten? I'm sure Brockers will have good numbers then.

I agree, sacks are just an added bonus from him. Not sure of those stats but I'm sure they are pretty good.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree, sacks are just an added bonus from him. Not sure of those stats but I'm sure they are pretty good.

Brockers is my number #1 resign at this moment even over Britt & other current UFA's.

I know Brockers is under contract this season, but before we start spending those few pennies on the 2015 UFA's I would prefer it goes towards Brockers in a new deal similar close to what Quinn got. After getting Brockers tied up then move on to those 2015 UFA's if any pennies are left. We need Brockers inside for the next half decade or more.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Brockers is my number #1 resign at this moment even over Britt & other current UFA's.

I know Brockers is under contract this season, but before we start spending those few pennies on the 2015 UFA's I would prefer it goes towards Brockers in a new deal similar close to what Quinn got. After getting Brockers tied up then move on to those 2015 UFA's if any pennies are left. We need Brockers inside for the next half decade or more.

I know it's not likely or even smart and I do like Brockers. But can you imagine having SUH next to Donald?
I know, he's got head issues, etc. but from a pure football perspective he is a game changer.

Not to mention, how funny would it be that a few years later after all the debate we have Bradford and Suh.

Oh the irony would be tasty.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Brockers is definitely a guy to evaluate not by the stat sheet. He's just not got the stats.

Does he eat blockers? Does he get pushed around? I'll be honest... I don't know? Not many of us have the time or the tape to focus on him like the team does.

From what I see; Brockers is not Vince Wilfork when it comes to stuffing the run game. He's also not an obvious washout like Jimmy Kennedy.

So, I trust the coaches when it comes to evaluating him.