Goff looked really good today.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In games 1 and 2, I could buy that. But he got worse not better. Looked more shaken, less confident.
Truly shocking a #1 overall pick struggled in his first season. It's a shame he wasted all that excellent coaching and didn't put to better use getting all those first team reps. With an OLine chock full of hall of fame talent and a game plan designed to surpass the GSOT how could have not looked like an All Pro. With every body else on offense playing so well his game play truly was the low point of our playoff team. So disappointing to have the first rookie Aqaba to struggle especially surrounded by so much talent and such good coaching.

Kind of sarcastic but not really.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Truly shocking a #1 overall pick struggled in his first season. It's a shame he wasted all that excellent coaching and didn't put to better use getting all those first team reps. With an OLine chock full of hall of fame talent and a game plan designed to surpass the GSOT how could have not looked like an All Pro. With every body else on offense playing so well his game play truly was the low point of our playoff team. So disappointing to have the first rookie Aqaba to struggle especially surrounded by so much talent and such good coaching.

Kind of sarcastic but not really.
And who is saying that?
Good grief.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most people in this thread and the many others that pop up daily. It's fun people criticize his play and he looked worse or this or that. Of course nobody points out that he looked like most rookies and was given less and lesser coaching. It's ok though we only have 3 more months of people quoting half comments and taking things out of context. Gotta love this time of year.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
My guess that the OL last season was clueless and got constantly "schooled" is confirmed by Saffold. Massive coaching failure to prepare the younger players and not having veterans to teach them about the "tricks of the trade"
Why would the younger players go to Saffold and not the OL coach? Saffold was the only vet, and it tells me that Boudreau was not up to his job. Which gives me hope the OL is fixable with good teaching and coaching.

Tremendous post, bubbaramfan. I like how you parsed the narrative and have arrived at an insightful conclusion.
Really, many of us were thinking this was a huge part of the problem last year but didn't have that "smoking gun" as it were. But now this may be it.

~ArkyRamsFan~

rdw

Pro Bowler
Lmao I do not remember anymore :rolllaugh:.
I have a good feeling about Mr. Goff, just think it will take home longer to get adjusted coming from the Bear RAID offense. I just pray he doesn't get injured so it doesn't hamper his development.

Redundant Array of Independent Disks?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
My guess that the OL last season was clueless and got constantly "schooled" is confirmed by Saffold. Massive coaching failure to prepare the younger players and not having veterans to teach them about the "tricks of the trade"
Why would the younger players go to Saffold and not the OL coach? Saffold was the only vet, and it tells me that Boudreau was not up to his job. Which gives me hope the OL is fixable with good teaching and coaching.

Nice post
But I think originally that was the plan, to bring in veteran players like Finnegan and Jake Long to help the younger guys develop -- But we all know how that went

Then we drafted all those offensive lineman in 2015 and by the time 2016 rolls around Fisher is going with the youth movement and are hoping the 2nd year offensive linemen will all step up. Of course that went over like a lead zeppelin.

What's not being said here is how truly horrible Tim Barnes must have been for the younger guys to avoid him like the plague :LOL:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Roger's statement confirms what a lot of us were just guessing at. That OL coach Paul Boudreau was basicly ineffective as teacher and coach. The younger players were frustrated and Boo couldn't answer their questions. Why couldn't Fisher see that?
Given all that, it gives me hope that all the failure on the OL rest mostly with the coaching, and guys like GRob (who IMHO never got the coaching and teaching he so desperately needed to play LT) were left clueless, and this set of coaches will provide proper coaching and teaching.

Yeah it confirms he wasn't much of a leader for the OL. Which is why they went out and got Big Whit in here, and it's going to pay a lot of dividends.

And before someone chimes in with how I'm hating on Roger, I've seen some offhand comments from him that I've not liked over the years. Most recent was last year when Goff was asked about/discussing leading the offense and he quipped "you think you're gonna lead us?" or some such. You would never see that kind of thing from a guy like Whit, so hopefully Roger takes good notes so that next year or the year after when he's with another team he'll be able to do it right.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
giphy.gif

You damn tease. Where's the rest of her!?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I am actually more concerned about Gurley succeeding that Goff.

Goff's play last year was disappointing but even in the midst of that I could see the flashes of his tremendous arm talent and I also saw courage in the pocket (which should not be dismissed).

The offense had begun to degenerate last year even before Goff was inserted as the starter. I view Goff's situational performance in the context of the overall offensive performance and come away feeling it was the system that failed Goff and not Goff failing the system. I believe that almost any QB (much less a rookie) inserted into the same situation would have underachieved to their abilities.

There are many examples of rookie QB's having a bad start to their career but those bad starts did not define their career. Troy Aikman was terrible his rookie season and was effectively outplayed by the weaker armed Walsh (insert Kenum) but by the end of his career Aikman had won three super bowls and is now in the hall of fame.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

I know this is a Goff thread, but I think Gurley was under-performing for a lot of the same reasons that Goff was. Isn't there a gif on this board I just saw, showing Robinson completely whiffing on a block & letting a DE or OLB sweep in & get a TFL on Gurley? hard to run the rock with LB's camping out in your backfield. In that GIF, a TE came in right behind Grob, but then pull blocked to the right - maybe Grob thought he was getting help & passed the OLB on to the non-existent TE? massive miscommunication. Grob moved to the left & was basically blocking no one. I have a feeling that Sullivan's smarts will help tremendously, as will Whit plus McVay making the offense a lot simpler to run & understand protections, etc. An OL with Whit - Saffold - Sullivan - Havenstein - Brown looks more & more promising every day, for both Goff and Gurley to do their thing.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yeah it confirms he wasn't much of a leader for the OL. Which is why they went out and got Big Whit in here, and it's going to pay a lot of dividends.

And before someone chimes in with how I'm hating on Roger, I've seen some offhand comments from him that I've not liked over the years. Most recent was last year when Goff was asked about/discussing leading the offense and he quipped "you think you're gonna lead us?" or some such. You would never see that kind of thing from a guy like Whit, so hopefully Roger takes good notes so that next year or the year after when he's with another team he'll be able to do it right.
I think it is/was a mistake to have Saffold as a leader, in kind of the same way as Britt was a leader. I don't mean that in a personal way, that's another thing entirely, that's been discussed enough. What I mean is that they really don't have a lot to offer the younger generation, they've been apart of bad teams, they have had no real personal success, they've had injury issues, all that they could've of offered is "I've been in the league for 7 years". Whitworth is an All-Pro/Pro Bowler, and has had playoff experience, that is someone who can offer younger players insight and wisdom, not an average/above average player on a bad team. And yes, maturity and professionalism helps a ton too.

TexasRam

Legend
I have Zero concerns about Goff's play last year.

In fact, I was really excited with what I saw.

I always judge a QB from the big picture of what he is playing with taking into consideration the Nuances of his situation.

Rookie year I throw out stat line completely. I look at accuracy, pocket feel, feet, touch, timing etc.

Most of all mute the Haters that make judgements from afar.

Goff has the tools of a Franchise QB and with Mcvay I feel he has a strong possibility of breaking out this year.

bluecoconuts

Legend
So Goff's play last year wasn't concerning to you at all?

I was more concerned with the rest of the team than I was with Goff... However it makes sense that they would all struggle since Fisher started Goff so late and basically signaled that the season was over. I don't know why he thought it would be good to start one QB half the season and the other QB the other half of the season, putting a rookie into the final half of the season when other teams are hitting their stride in their push for the playoffs is retarded. The team pretty much gave up, it was terrible.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Goff's play last year was disappointing but even in the midst of that I could see the flashes of his tremendous arm talent and I also saw courage in the pocket (which should not be dismissed).

The offense had begun to degenerate last year even before Goff was inserted as the starter. I view Goff's situational performance in the context of the overall offensive performance and come away feeling it was the system that failed Goff and not Goff failing the system. I believe that almost any QB (much less a rookie) inserted into the same situation would have underachieved to their abilities.

There are many examples of rookie QB's having a bad start to their career but those bad starts did not define their career. Troy Aikman was terrible his rookie season and was effectively outplayed by the weaker armed Walsh (insert Kenum) but by the end of his career Aikman had won three super bowls and is now in the hall of fame.

This is what makes the Goff argument ineffective. Because how can you blame Gurley a guy that actually produced results in this league and be more concerned about him then a rookie who looked more then lost. But Say that the receivers and scheme and the oline failed Goff. I could have sworn that Gurley played on the same team with the same scheme with the same oline. So how do Goff get a pass and not Gurley. Someone make it make sense to me because right now I rather give the pass to the guy that actually has done something other than you know the other guy

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have Zero concerns about Goff's play last year.

In fact, I was really excited with what I saw.

I always judge a QB from the big picture of what he is playing with taking into consideration the Nuances of his situation.

Rookie year I throw out stat line completely. I look at accuracy, pocket feel, feet, touch, timing etc.

Most of all mute the Haters that make judgements from afar.

Goff has the tools of a Franchise QB and with Mcvay I feel he has a strong possibility of breaking out this year.

Goff made some good plays. They mostly all came in 1 game out of 7. He had 5 touchdowns in 7 games 3 of which came in 1 game. He had 5 fumbles im not worried about the interceptions but 5 fumbles in 7 games is inexcusable for a QB. I know Goff didn't have the Ideal circumstances but when he did get in h definitely did not maximize his opportunities