GAME THREAD: Denver at Dallas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
kurtfaulk said:
you're looking at it in a vacuum. romo's m.o. is making awful throws when it matters in the 4th qtr. this is just the latest instalment, which is what the priceless joke is all about.

I'm looking at it objectively. With what Romo did today, he's above criticism. This is a team game. The defense is the one who should be getting criticized for the loss. Sadly, because Romo played well enough to have them in that game, he's going to be the one chastised for his one big mistake and the loss.
And that surprises you why?

We have 14 page threads about a screen pass on this forum for cryin' out loud.

joeybittick

Rookie
X said:
jrry32 said:
kurtfaulk said:
you're looking at it in a vacuum. romo's m.o. is making awful throws when it matters in the 4th qtr. this is just the latest instalment, which is what the priceless joke is all about.

I'm looking at it objectively. With what Romo did today, he's above criticism. This is a team game. The defense is the one who should be getting criticized for the loss. Sadly, because Romo played well enough to have them in that game, he's going to be the one chastised for his one big mistake and the loss.

:what: :rofl:

Despite some of us having different feelings about how people react to certain things regarding the Rams, it is so nice to see so much passion for the team again. Even 95% of the posters that I might consider too negative for my liking, I still like to see them get so fired up about the team. I think apathy is the biggest threat facing the Rams future off of the field (in St. Louis at least), and maybe on the field as well. So, as long as no one is bashing the players or coaches, I am happy to see them posting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
jrry32 said:
kurtfaulk said:

Fair point. Hell, I've been extremely harsh on Sam and talked about replacing him when his projected volume stats are...
4208 yards
32 TDs
10 Ints

Crazy...isn't it? :lol:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I really don't have a problem with Romo, just find it funny that this always seems to happen to him. He had a career day yes, but he still made a huge mistake when it mattered most not to and they lost the game partly because of it. Wins are more important thatn stats. I would say the same about Sam if it happened to him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:
kurtfaulk said:

Fair point. Hell, I've been extremely harsh on Sam and talked about replacing him when his projected volume stats are...
4208 yards
32 TDs
10 Ints

He does project out well for the season, but I'd still like to see a big bump in first quarter points.

joeybittick

Rookie
X said:
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:
kurtfaulk said:

4208 yards
32 TDs
10 Ints

He does project out well for the season, but I'd still like to see a big bump in first quarter points.

I agree, I posted his projections after last week and it looks like they have gone up even. But he definitely has things that he needs to work on, and I am confident he will. Overall, I have been very pleased with his play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
jrry32 said:
4208 yards
32 TDs
10 Ints

I'd like to see his YPA go up. I think that'll be linked to protection. He started taking more shots in the 2nd half when he knew he had protection.

I'd also like to see us put more focus on the Austins in the intermediate range in the passing game. Tavon Austin and Austin Pettis. Both have been adept at getting open but gotta have the protection.

Tavon is especially lethal in that range because it gives him the space to pick-up YAC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:
kurtfaulk said:

4208 yards
32 TDs
10 Ints

We're all crazy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:
4208 yards
32 TDs
10 Ints

I'd like to see his YPA go up. I think that'll be linked to protection. He started taking more shots in the 2nd half when he knew he had protection.

I'd also like to see us put more focus on the Austins in the intermediate range in the passing game. Tavon Austin and Austin Pettis. Both have been adept at getting open but gotta have the protection.

Tavon is especially lethal in that range because it gives him the space to pick-up YAC.
Yeah, I agree with all that. Sometimes I wonder if they shouldn't give Bradford half the field again and just run high lows with lots more boots and drags. Not as a permanent thing or anything ... just something to get him going early.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
jrry32 said:
Angry Ram said:
jrry32 said:
Tron said:
Over 500 yards passing=$$$
5 touchdown passes=$$$
Still chokes when it matters = Priceless

Frankly, I'd rather have a QB that chokes in that situation than a QB that doesn't put me in that situation. Dallas put up 48 points and Romo threw for 500+ yards. How many other QBs could have done what he did today?

So you'd basically rather have a QB that gets a bunch of pretty stats and cost the game? It's all for naught...

Sure. Give me the guy that lead his offense to put up 48 points and put up a bunch of "pretty stats". If we manage to lose, he's the last guy I'll be angry at.

Maybe you didn't see that Denver's offense scored 51 points. And yet you're focusing on the 1 bad play Romo made? His offense scored 48 points. How often is that not enough to win? It's not like Romo threw 5 pick sixes to go with those 48 points.

No, I'm not focusing on Tony's one bad play, even though that one play was the deciding factor.

That's great he put up all those numbers...it's still a loss. And this is coming from a guy that thinks Tony is underrated.

jrry32 said:

So why is it after every Rams' loss Sam is @ the center of attention? Why is it when the Rams lose, the defensive performance seems to be pushed aside and it's all Sam this Sam that blah blah blah. And this statement isn't directed @ you per se, more of a general statement but it's fuckin stupid to do that. As you said it's a team game. Sam isn't a problem. 1 terrible game, 1 bad game. Meh. He's a QB playing an ugly game.

jjab360

Legend
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:
kurtfaulk said:

4208 yards
32 TDs
10 Ints

You've got to take it all with a grain of salt considering he's leading the league in passing attempts. YPA and completion percentage are particularly poor for Bradford right now. Where he excels is executing in the redzone (ironic considering the preseason criticisms) and not turning the ball over, hence the high number of TDs and low number of INTs. I certainly don't think he's played poorly enough for all the replacement talk, though. It's just he played so poorly in the SF game where everything that could have gone wrong culminated and snowballed possibly due to a short week for preparation.

What I do know is that this is a talented young team that's only going to get better as they gain more confidence and experience throughout the season. If the coordinators are willing to adjust their game plans from what they thought was going to work at the beginning of the season, we might still have a chance at a playoff push.

The blowouts against Dallas and SF were enough to get any fan thinking 2011 all over, but we're just too talented for that type of s***storm to happen again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Angry Ram said:
No, I'm not focusing on Tony's one bad play, even though that one play was the deciding factor.

That's great he put up all those numbers...it's still a loss. And this is coming from a guy that thinks Tony is underrated.

jrry32 said:

So why is it after every Rams' loss Sam is @ the center of attention? Why is it when the Rams lose, the defensive performance seems to be pushed aside and it's all Sam this Sam that blah blah blah. And this statement isn't directed @ you per se, more of a general statement but it's freakin stupid to do that. As you said it's a team game. Sam isn't a problem. 1 terrible game, 1 bad game. Meh. He's a QB playing an ugly game.

Why is it? If you don't agree with it, why do it yourself or condone doing it?

Yes, it's a loss. He still played amazing football so to single him out to criticize for it is ridiculous.

Do you know how many times a team has lost when they scored 48+ points in the history of the NFL(counting AFL too since they merged)? Three times.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200411280cin.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 280cin.htm</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198311270sea.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 270sea.htm</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196312220rai.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 220rai.htm</a>

In the HISTORY of the game, teams scoring 48+ points are 349-3. So...no, I don't think blame should be placed on Romo. If people are looking for someone/a unit to criticize after that game, I'd look towards the defense.

X said:
Yeah, I agree with all that. Sometimes I wonder if they shouldn't give Bradford half the field again and just run high lows with lots more boots and drags. Not as a permanent thing or anything ... just something to get him going early.

And that would be a smart game-plan. I actually feel the same way.

Not even necessarily boots...you can always do sprints with the line sliding.

Let him move around a little, let him build up confidence, help out our OL and make things a little easier to read.

Basically, put your player in a position where it's easier for him to succeed. Don't even have to go no huddle.

I'd also like to see more bunch sets. They're great for causing defenders to get lost and opening up WRs quickly.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't know if Romo's OL gets away with a ton of holding or they are that good but I've never seen a QB have that much time to pass that often. He had some sick moves to escape some sacks but on average had time to start a camp fire with two rocks.