FS / CB Prospect Justin Cox

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
First off, Justin Cox was removed from the Mississippi St football team last November for an arrest regarding possible robbery and/or domestic violence....not sure.
However, with that out of the way, I found myself intrigued with his measurables and what little tape I found on him.

I find my myself continually nagged by the fact the Rams don't have a Safety with range that can make plays on passes that are thrown over the top. As much as McLeod has improved, he just doesn't have the range and/or anticipation to make plays when the receivers get behind the CB or himself. So, since last year I have been scouting all the Safeties for a player that has range.

Cox some how got an invitation to the Combine and turned some heads with his testing. He is now starting to show up in Mocks as early as the 5th round. He has decent size, 6'0" 197 lbs, ran a 4.37 at the combine. What impressed me is the tape of him at JuCo, before he transferred to Miss St. He is obviously playing against players with less ability, but his speed, anticipation, ball skills and tackling ability show up.

If he is cleared of his actions from November, I would be inclined to draft him with the anticipated 6th round compensatory pick.

JuCo highlights:

Any thoughts?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am with you on McLeod and would love to give Justin Cox a chance in the draft. If he could be close to what Earl Thomas is it would be great.

However I think the Rams are content with McLeod because he is cheap right now and he hits hard. Their idea is that the pass rush limits deep passing and because of that they don't need a rangy free safety. I don't agree but who am I.

I think if Cox lasts until round 5 he would have to be in consideration. McLeod will be a free agent, I think, in 2017?, and having a guy to take over is not a bad idea. Especially if McLeod is a FA in 2016.

V3

Hall of Fame
He's not a SS so it won't happen. Heck, the Rams have a FS on their roster right now that they used a 2nd rounder on last year and they still won't play him at FS.

I feel McLeod is a good backup/rotational guy and that's it.

Stel

Starter
I am with you on McLeod and would love to give Justin Cox a chance in the draft. If he could be close to what Earl Thomas is it would be great.

However I think the Rams are content with McLeod because he is cheap right now and he hits hard. Their idea is that the pass rush limits deep passing and because of that they don't need a rangy free safety. I don't agree but who am I.

I think if Cox lasts until round 5 he would have to be in consideration. McLeod will be a free agent, I think, in 2017?, and having a guy to take over is not a bad idea. Especially if McLeod is a FA in 2016.

McLeod is an RFA now so in the absence of a new multi-year deal, even if he agrees to the tender he will be an UFA in 2016.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I don't like McLeod as a starter as much or more as the next guy, but in this case I think I'd rather have the mediocre athlete with good character and a head on his shoulders back there instead of potentially another knucklehead, no-character guy. Defense is more about chemistry and heart than talent -- the whole league is full of talent -- it's guys that are teammates, willing to sell out for each other that win. At least McLeod is the ultimate team guy even with his limited ceiling. I would jump at the chance to get a smart, team player with more talent than McLeod, but in this case Cox's character issues are a warning sign that he might not be that guy.