Former Rams coach Mike Martz: Sean McVay a QB expert? 'Wait a minute while I puke'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It's true. Say something negative about the Rams and one is immediately discredited. And here with very questionable opinions, IMO.

Then all of sports media must have been discredited. I have heard NOTHING but negative about the Rams since last year. THAT is why I come here to read Rams news. Mike Martz is getting absolutely trashed over those comments BTW. Tried to say the author put words into his mouth, and the media and even Herm Edwards are defending the writer.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I thought I wanted to know what Martz thought of McVay, but on second thought, I dont give a rats ass what Martz thinks of McVay. I will stick with Marshall Faulks endorsement of McVay. I think MF has had a little more interaction with and got to know McVay.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Oh, Mike.

If I were his agent - here is what I would tell him.

You have one fan base who has fond memories of you - just one - and even with them, its a mixed bag. You aren't going to get a coaching gig - that ship has sailed. You are too hard to listen to for TV stations or radio to give you a permanent gig - your only hope of remaining even semi relevant is through the Rams fan base. You want to be invited to GSOT reunion gigs, don't you? Do you want to get booed mercilessly when you do?

Play nice - at least with the Rams. I know you think they screwed you over - but really - you took a superbowl winning franchise by the time you left it - it was a dumpster fire for a decade. Now they seem to have something going - don't trash the new guy just because you are jelly. Be a man, Mike. If you have critisism, speak it - people respect that. But make sure it is reasoned - not drivel like this.

fearsomefour

Legend
They called him Mad Mike for a reason !!

Mad Mike got screwed by Jay Z when he was in the hospital. They locked him out of Rams Park !! Just F'd Up !!

Mad Mike had Alex Smith & could not do anything with him. The QB guru is Andy Reed !! He has always been solid & has always been a Winner !! Just so consistent as a play caller & HC .
True, although, Reid has never met a playoff game he cant lose.
Hadnt heard that story about Martz and being locked out of Rams Park.

fearsomefour

Legend
McVay is smart, look at who he has around him. It doesn't matter if you're the President of the United States or a shift leader at McDonald's, leaders are only as good as the people around them. McVay has surrounded himself with some very smart football people.
So want to see a meme of Boras working a fry machine....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Martz was once where McVay is now, where he had to prove himself. What probably irks him is McVay jumped as fast as he did to the HC job.

Straight up professional jealousy. Also I am sure it doesn't help that McVay is from that "other" school of offensive thought and coaching tree with the incorrectly named WCO. If the two had crossed paths or if McVay was a Gillman tree guy I'm sure the take would be different.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I was a big Martz fan. But it was him and his stubbornness that cost the Rams the Super Bowl. He did not adjust to defenses changing. He ruined a great opportunity for a all time team.
And he hated TEs. He got rid of his TE in Chicago and what did he go on and prove in Carolina ?
BTW, the play on which Kupp caught his TD was a 3 receiver "bunch" formation. Martz started all that.
Slow your roll Mike.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
I have scoured the interweb and can find nothing about Martz's brain illness. But I do hope he's resting comfortably.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Martz sounds worse than a scorned woman.

He is obviously bitter with the Rams.

He needs to stay up on his porch. Oh... and everybody had better stay the hell off his lawn.

I'm still bitter with Mike Martz for getting rid of Kurt Warner.

getoffmartzlawn.JPG

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Play nice

That isn't possible for some people. It's a character issue. Look, here at ROD it's fine to criticize players, coaches, and front office staff when they screw up. But it's not fine to criticize McVay when he hasn't even been a head coach in one regular season game to warrant any criticism. This is sour grapes on the part of Mike Martz, nothing more and nothing less.

Here's a blast from the past(2010) when Martz was the OC for the Bears:

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-guru/2010/11/the-severe-decline-of-mike-martz/

The Severe Decline of Mike Martz
By Paul M. Banks

martz-300x204.jpg

Remember when Mike Martz had good reason to be arrogant?

Remember when he was the architect of the "Greatest Show on Turf?" Really, do you?

It wasn't that long ago. Now, that once highly regarded offensive NFL wunderkind is struggling to show the same prowess as the Offensive Coordinator for the Chicago Bears. In fact, to even call his struggles "struggles" is being very kind (to Martz, not to the word "struggles").

The last time Mike Martz could even claim to be "Master of his own Domain" was just before kick-off of Super Bowl XXXVI in February of 2002. Since then, Martz's offensive mojo has been lacking and his decision making has been regarded as downright putrid.

The road that brought Martz to the Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator post wasn't paved in gold, Hell, it wasn't even paved at all.

After being shown the door by 3 different NFL teams since February of 2005, he wasn't exactly any team's first choice as a new offensive coach. The Bears organization made the choice to bring in a pass happy coordinator to try and accommodate the team's snafu from the year previous (uhhh, that would be Jay Cutler for the uninformed).

The combo of Cutler and Martz actually increased expectations for the Bears, believe it or not, at least prior to training camp. The Bears organization and their fans should have leashed those expectations, however, because expecting a Martz offense to set the world afire in 2010 is like expecting a 11 year
old Labrador Retriever to suddenly learn to roll over and play dead.

Dissecting Martz for a minute, his offenses have been very high risk/high reward and have the possibility to garner big results. The problem, and this goes back to 2001, is that he is his own worst enemy.

He picks very inopportune moments to go for the jugular and even worse moments to play conservative (see: 2004 NFC Divisional round vs. Carolina); Martz's Rams, at home, were down 3 and inside the red zone with a little less than a minute to play and one time out.

Instead of taking a shot at the end zone, Martz played for overtime and let the clock wind before kicking a FG to tie. The Rams went on to lose in double OT. Additionally, Martz doesn't really change his ways, nor does he seem to want to.

In the NFL, change is a necessity. The majority of the coaches in the NFL are too smart (no really, they are) and too analytical to be fooled by the same thing for an extended period of time. Just as the league caught up with Martz's offensive schemes, they also caught up to his tendencies and soon enough it became easy to sense what was coming from one of his offenses, whether it be the Rams, Lions, 49ers and now, Bears.

That inability (or unwillingness) to adapt or even regroup has been the downfall of Mike Martz.

He's trying to run the same schemes that worked for his Rams in 1999 and 2001. He's trying to mold the 2010 Chicago Bears into the 2001 St. Louis Rams (which had no less than 5 future offensive HOFers executing its plays) when he should be working with what he's got.

Jay Cutler needs a watered down offense with easy reads. He needs an offense that hinges on very few pre-snap reads and even fewer post snap reads. Matt Forte, for all of the flash he showed his rookie year, is nowhere near the level Marshall Faulk was at in 1999-2001.

Most importantly, Johnny Knox, Earl Bennett, Devin Aromashodu and Devin Hester have nothing close to the talent and instincts that Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az-Zahir Hakim and Ricky Proehl had.

The maraschino cherry on the proverbial ice cream sundae is that Martz is still hampered by the way he calls plays. He's the same playcaller he was in 2001, which means that to prepare for a Mike Martz
gameplan means one must simply dust off some old video tape.

This fact is evidenced by two major indicators: his offenses have steadily declined in production since 2004 and his winning percentage as a playcaller has decreased from .693 (1999-2003) to .371 (2004-present).

All of this historical perspective culminates with the job Martz is doing right now. Currently, the Bears offense is 4th worst in the NFL, only ahead of Carolina, Arizona and Seattle, and is the 6th worst
scoring offense in the league. Both ranks are down from Ron Turner's offense last year and Martz's current yards per game stat is the worst its been since Martz has been an offensive coordinator or head coach.

You can argue the Bears don't have the talent that the 2001 Rams had, but the 2008 49ers? the 2006-07 Lions?

You're kidding me, right?

Three months ago, Mike Martz was supposedly the guy that was going to help Jay Cutler take the leap to be an elite NFL quarterback. Now it seems those lofty aspirations were more than just a bit silly, because like an old dog, Mike Martz can't learn new tricks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But, I understand the deal. Anybody that doesn't simply offer blind praise to the Rams immediately gets discredited.

Damn straight. Especially something as juvenile as this.

The only deal i understand is that martz needs to sell his book and had to come up with something that would make headlines. All about the green.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Anybody that doesn't simply offer blind praise to the Rams immediately gets discredited.

Yes, because NOBODY has ever criticized the Rams around these parts. Players, coaches, owner, front office personnel ... everybody agrees 100% that they are all doing a spectacular job!! Nope, not one iota of criticism of the Rams can be found anywhere on this board ... keep turning over rocks looking for it, keep coming up empty.

Hell, they should change the name of this board to Pollyannas R' Us, or Kool-Aid is Us or something like that, considering our universal agreement on all things Rams and our untarnished praise with virtually no criticism whatsoever in like, forever.

Sarcasm off ...

(smfh)

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Mike Martz: Criticism of Sean McVay hire was 'embellished'

Former NFL coach Mike Martz denied making harsh comments attributed to him in an upcoming book about whether rookie coach Sean McVay is capable of having an impact on second-year Rams quarterback Jared Goff.

In the book "Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks," due out in September, Martz was asked whether McVay can make a difference with Goff. Goff appeared in seven games last season under veteran coach Jeff Fisher. An excerpt was obtained by ESPN.

"What is he, a couple of months older than Jared? They hired a buddy for Jared," Martz was quoted as saying in the book. "The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You've got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy? And this guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke."

McVay was hired at the end of last season just before he turned 31, making him the youngest head coach in modern NFL history. Goff will turn 23 in October.

In an interview Tuesday on ESPN LA 710, Martz said the quote in its entirety was "not accurate."

"I would never say something like that. [The quote] was kind of embellished. It was a very short interview, and I think what I told [author Thomas George] was there's only a couple years' difference between them, and they probably brought him in because of his ability to communicate. With [Goff], you want somebody more his age, I guess. But all of that other garbage, I would never say something like that."

Martz was on the Rams' staff in the early 1990s, both before and after the team moved from Los Angeles to St. Louis. He was head coach from 2000 to 2005 in St. Louis after serving one season as offensive coordinator.

In the book, Martz also was quoted as expressing doubt that McVay could succeed with Goff simply because of his age.

"Right, he's going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I'm not going to drink that Kool-Aid," Martz said.

In the ESPN LA 710 interview, Martz said McVay has the capability to lead the Rams. Los Angeles won four games last season, fired Fisher and hired McVay away from the Washington Redskins, where he worked as offensive coordinator for three seasons.

"It's a tough game played by tough people, and you have to be able to provide that kind of leadership," Martz said. "And if he has that kind of leadership, he'll be all right, he'll figure it out, but he's going to have to lean on enough people at game day. In a tough game, that's when he's going to have to be at his best. It sounds like he has the capability to do that, he's just going to have to get there real quick.

"I would say it's going to take him three years in the job to really feel like he kind of knows what's going on. At that point, if he's done a good job, he'll make it in the five years. But if not, it could be a disaster."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ays-book-criticism-sean-mcvay-was-embellished
When he said "Wait a minute while I puke", he meant it the GOOD way.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I can't help it but when I think of Mike Martz I think of Kurt's last game, season opener vs the giants when Kurt suffers a concussion in the first quarter and Mike continues to throw the ball on every play forgetting that Marshal Faulk exists. Kurt ends up with 50 plus attempts, gets the absolute hell beat out of him and what did he get in return for showing unbelievable toughness and grit. A concussion, a night in the hospital and a benching. Never to play for the Rams again.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't help it but when I think of Mike Martz I think of Kurt's last game, season opener vs the giants when Kurt suffers a concussion in the first quarter and Mike continues to throw the ball on every play forgetting that Marshal Faulk exists. Kurt ends up with 50 plus attempts, gets the absolute hell beat out of him and what did he get in return for showing unbelievable toughness and grit. A concussion, a night in the hospital and a benching. Never to play for the Rams again.

He had to pay for brenda's sins. And he had to suffer slowly, no quick punishment from Mike. 3 long hours of getting the snot kicked out of him.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
I am sure Martz said those things.

But raise your hand if you have never been jealous.

Crickets.

Raise your hand if you never said some harsh stuff and wish you could pull those words back.

Crickets.

The old man said some stupid things. Oh well.

Mcvay was hired because he is a current cutting edge offensive mind. He was the anti fisher.

Old coaches get stuck in old systems that don't work anymore. Just like in the business world. You have to evolve to the changing world around you or you cease to be relevant.

Well Mcvay was hired because he was behind one of the top offenses in 2016. Not because he was part of a Super Bowl team 20 years ago.

Think of Mcvays first season moves and how they look right now. Hiring Wade Phillips. With zero first round picks drafts Kupp and Everett who look awesome in Mcvays system. Grabbing whit and Sully in free agency. That's quite an offseason makeover for having limited resources.

The proof is in the pudding. Right now the offense is looking night and day different!! Let's see what happens in the real season. My money is on Mcvay. I'm all in.

And by the way, I forgive you Mike.